Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2011, 10:13   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Um, mind you its started me thinking if I had an horse I could make a fortune selling manure
Well yeh do talk a load of it.
Old 18-11-2011, 10:15   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnart View Post

This is my newest sculpture. I like this better then the older one, It is neater and I like using whole chunk of log rather than slicing them into planks. Although I do not like the top two pieces, but that can be sorted easily when I make the next one.

What you think?? There are also some photo of the progress of making it and some sideshots.

Hope you like

Sonnart
aint bad, prefered the one that got nicked.....so i'll keep me hands off that one. lol

Last edited by Neil; 30-11-2011 at 20:57.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 10:16   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well yeh do talk a load of it.
If I did I wouldn't need a bloody horse
Old 21-11-2011, 11:58   #64

I put the new sculpture up yesterday and I will put up some photos of it they are decent photos this time, taken with a camera rather than a naff phone camera

Lets see how long this one lasts!

I have also gotten some photos from a local lady, so I can start making sculptures from the figures in her photos hurray!

Sonnart
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:00   #65
God Member

Look forward to seeing them...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 11:49   #66

Here it is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (199.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Neil; 30-11-2011 at 20:33.
Old 22-11-2011, 12:04   #67
God Member

I admire your efforts and noble intentions, but one person's art is another person's firewood.

I don't expect this one will be there for long either.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 14:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I admire your efforts and noble intentions, but one person's art is another person's firewood.

I don't expect this one will be there for long either.

I agree. What I make will not suit everyones taste. I thought of making a large one, setting it alight and letting it burn.

Similar to Gormleys Wasteman, though that was made of locals home materials, not local wood :P
Old 22-11-2011, 18:47   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
I agree. What I make will not suit everyones taste. I thought of making a large one, setting it alight and letting it burn.

Similar to Gormleys Wasteman, though that was made of locals home materials, not local wood :P
I'm not sure setting the Coppice on fire would go down well.Not sure if it would be classed as art either!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:05   #70
God Member

Quote:

I do think you should think of increasing the size of your sculptures for impact -would be a shame to burn them though, all that effort going up in smoke....don't be discouraged by negative comment.

Art is an expression of the soul -follow yours.

(I can say this as I wish with all my being that I had some artistic talent but I don't unfortunately....).

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-11-2011, 19:36   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I do think you should think of increasing the size of your sculptures for impact -would be a shame to burn them though, all that effort going up in smoke....don't be discouraged by negative comment.

Art is an expression of the soul -follow yours.

(I can say this as I wish with all my being that I had some artistic talent but I don't unfortunately....).
I was once a great artist. obviously were me lad gets his talent from.

Last edited by cashman; 22-11-2011 at 19:39.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 19:47   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I was once a great artist. obviously were me lad gets his talent from.
Cashy - you are a true artiste!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-11-2011, 22:03   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:

How would this be art, making it, taking it up the coppice and setting fire to it. I originaly thought this was a good idea, have to say you are now losing me by straying into the "barm pot" section
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 09:03   #74

Ah don't worry, it's was just an idea after I watched a video of Gormleys Wasteman. It was and idea to be more of a performance really, but I do prefer just the sculptures as they are. Gormley made his out of locals old objects like chairs/tables/beds etc. It was kind of a community gathering to watch it burn. It is a barm pot idea :P

I also thought of it as an idea to beat vandals to it before they get to it. I don't plan to put the big sculptures in the woodlands bit, more on the grassy parts.

I have never ever been into conceptual art before I started this course, and although I do now understand it, I'm still not that keen on it. I'm still more of an aesthetics artist than "meaning". But I do like the idea of the sculptures rotting back into the Coppice, in the form of a memory sculpture.

I have some photo-shopped (badly, only spent 10mins on it) images of what I would like the sculptures to look like life size.

I have always planned to make them life size, but these smaller ones are just to test with for making and aesthetics, see if I come across any problems then I'll know how to do things more efficiently when I make the bigger ones

Let me know what you think when I put them up

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it really helps, I appreciate it

Sonnart
Old 25-11-2011, 19:11   #75
God Member

I really don't see the point of burnng something you have spent time, effort and love creating. Perhaps you need to re-think where you are putting this work to be seen by the pubblic- it would be a shame for it to be pee-ed on by dogs and kicked over by the local vandals.
The small sculptures are a bit "lost" on the Coppice in any case -perhaps the gardens of Haworth Art Gallery or an angle in one of the parks or church gardens would be more appropriate...

~ D. H. Lawrence

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..