Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25   #121
Member.

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That is exactly right, the Coppice is a worthy piece of Accrington and until someone can come up with something absolutely mind bogglingly good that it would attract not only worldwide interest, but would also have local folk like you screaming to be carried to see such great works, then it shouldn't be cheapened with such makeshift run of the mill ideas as have been put forward over the last few years.
I Agree...

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32   #122
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just as an aside for those of you that think I know nothing about art, may I suggest that you do a search of accyweb, there you will find copies of some of my 'Uncle Less', series of lectures, proving you to be absolutely correct.
Because it's seasonal it might be worth starting with:-

Uncle less's Christmas card.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:52   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I can has part of an Heritage Park. Visualise a number of life size Bronze Sculptures telling the history of Accrington and her cluster of townships. I can Visualise small clearings within the trees (preferably native ones) at key points with full access; within these clearings and on the top of the coppice you would have memorial sculptures to key events; Bronze Statues of a group of miners looking out and pointing toward Moorcroft. Overlooking Peel Park a cluster Bronze Statues of Accrington Stanley Players striking out towards Goal. Looking out towards the old Drill Hall a group of Pals before the tragedy looking proud and full of vigour, (it was all suppose to be over before Christmas) On the Top of the coppice over looking the town a Replica of the Pals Memorial in Sheffield Memorial Park. And on, Cotton, Chemicals, Dark Mills, Water, we have it all. The story of Hyndburn fixed within the Landscape Known to all of us.
Well I've read your post Doug, but I have a problem with the idea, firstly how would the people who are more likely to be interested in such a project, the elderly (and disabled elderly at that) access the area, the top of the coppice ain't really the easiest place to get to when your getting on in life, such a project would be much more viable in one of the parks not stuck on the top of a hill, just my thoughts on the matter
Old 01-12-2011, 18:31   #124

I have considered placing some sculptures in the park at the bottom... The only problem with that is it is moving further away from my original ideas of memories of the Coppice.

Although I suppose Peel Park and the Coppice are all in one are they?

And if it makes it more accessible then I guess that would be better and could also be a good branch leading off the original ideas?

I also looked into making the sculptures in the form of Accrington pals training on the Coppice as I heard there are some photos of that flying about somewhere maybe in the library.

I do like the idea of using images/making sculptures of those who value and use the Coppice rather than famous named people as they're are already known and there are always sculptures/memorials for them. Why not have something to say thanks the people who use the area?

What you think??

Sonnart
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:36   #125
Resting in Peace

If they're anything like the ones you've pictured on here don't bother they're like a bunch of Meerkats out on the raz
Old 01-12-2011, 18:38   #126

Even life sized ones? or ones like Sally Matthews in Grizedale park?
Old 01-12-2011, 18:38   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnart View Post
I have considered placing some sculptures in the park at the bottom... The only problem with that is it is moving further away from my original ideas of memories of the Coppice.

And if it makes it more accessible then I guess that would be better and could also be a good branch leading off the original ideas?

I also looked into making the sculptures in the form of Accrington pals training on the Coppice as I heard there are some photos of that flying about somewhere maybe in the library.

I do like the idea of using images/making sculptures of those who value and use the Coppice rather than famous named people as they're are already known and there are always sculptures/memorials for them. Why not have something to say thanks the people who use the area?

What you think??

Sonnart
Don't see a lot wrong wi that, remember though as well as being more accesible to people, its also handier fer the vandals.
Old 01-12-2011, 18:41   #128
Resting In Peace

t anywhere close
Quote:

What you think??

Sonnart
I think I see where you are coming from. You want these pieces to be an embodiment of the folks who use the area, real people turned into wood and their memories preserved. Is that any where close to your idea?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:42   #129

Yes exactly

I want to make sculptures that you (Accrington people) all like, I enjoy making/producing them and I like the idea behind them and I hoped you would too.

I also think that if I can make something that the majority can agree on, then maybe it could be a small feature (temporary, I don't like the idea of making permanent works for some reason).

Old 01-12-2011, 18:43   #130

AAh I suppose it is handier for vandals :S hm, how could I get past that?
Old 01-12-2011, 18:45   #131

The original idea was to make sculpture out of wood from the Coppice, in the form of shilouettes taken from photographs that local people would send to me.

Then these 'memory sculptures' can rot and go back into the Coppice, taking the memories with it as a physical process.

Sonnart

Last edited by Sonnart; 01-12-2011 at 18:47.
Old 01-12-2011, 18:50   #132
I am Banned

Quote:

What you think??

Sonnart
The Accrington never trained on the Coppice, they did march over it on a couple of occasions, to meet up with the Burnley section.
They did do some training on Moleside, quite a lot on Ellison's Tenement & Hyndburn Park.
There are no photographs flying around somewhere in the Library, all William Turners Collection is sealed, and not available to every Tom, Dick & Harry.
The key to Bills collection is in my pocket, so forget it.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 18:53   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes exactly

I want to make sculptures that you (Accrington people) all like, I enjoy making/producing them and I like the idea behind them and I hoped you would too.

I also think that if I can make something that the majority can agree on, then maybe it could be a small feature (temporary, I don't like the idea of making permanent works for some reason).

Do you not think it might be wise to seek permission from the relative authorities, before exhibiting your work anywhere?

Next year there might be a student who sculpts using scrapped cars, or concrete etc.

Should they just be allowed to site their work on the Coppice?

Some people might appreciate nature's beauty, rather than man's.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:01   #134

Ah damn it, no sculptures of the Pals then :P

I have got permission from Accrington Council and I am in the process of arrangments to use wood form the Coppice.

They are planning to cutting down some trees in December. (Not for me, they were cutting some down anyway, which I think is great because then the view will be back!, not that I have ever seen them personally, I have seen photos of my dads)

I have based my whole idea on Accringtons views/memories/ideas. That's why I joined here, I would like to know what you would like if anything. If nothing then that's ok too.

Although I would NEVER put anything anywhere if the there was a stong argument against it from the locals because I live there and even if it is my work that I am proud of, I wouldn't mind finding somewhere else to put it if it would keep the peace.

Sound like backing down I know but I would try my hardest to get my work put where it was originally destined for before agreeing not too.

Sonnart

Last edited by Sonnart; 01-12-2011 at 19:04.
Old 01-12-2011, 19:04   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Do you not think it might be wise to seek permission from the relative authorities, before exhibiting your work anywhere?

Next year there might be a student who sculpts using scrapped cars, or concrete etc.

Should they just be allowed to site their work on the Coppice?

Some people might appreciate nature's beauty, rather than man's.
A very valid point Rindi, we could ask our councillors what they think about this the only trouble is they don't answer to threads on council affairs anymore, must have been instructed to keep clear

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..