Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 15:31   #151
God Member

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

Here is a photo of the winning entry by Martin Boyce, seems to have been a popular winner. Turner Prize winner Martin Boyce's sculptures: in pictures - Telegraph

Also a link to a description of the meaning of the work by the artist.
Turner Prize 2011: a popular winner? Never - Telegraph

This kind of art has to be experienced first hand to be appreciated. About 10 years ago we went to see the Salvador Dali Gallery in Figueres, Spain, the whole family enjoyed the day out -very thought provoking and made you look at things in a different way. Some of the pieces were pretty wild.
Have attached his Portrait of Marilyn Monroe for you to see, It's the size of a room and you have to go up to a special viewing gallery to see it. The lips are a full-size red sofa....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips.jpg (4.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Marilyn by dali.jpg (3.5 KB, 5 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2011, 17:43   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Here is a photo of the winning entry by Martin Boyce, seems to have been a popular winner. Turner Prize winner Martin Boyce's sculptures: in pictures - Telegraph

Also a link to a description of the meaning of the work by the artist.
Turner Prize 2011: a popular winner? Never - Telegraph

This kind of art has to be experienced first hand to be appreciated. About 10 years ago we went to see the Salvador Dali Gallery in Figueres, Spain, the whole family enjoyed the day out -very thought provoking and made you look at things in a different way. Some of the pieces were pretty wild.
Have attached his Portrait of Marilyn Monroe for you to see, It's the size of a room and you have to go up to a special viewing gallery to see it. The lips are a full-size red sofa....
That kind of art put me right of when some silly bint called her dirty bed a work of art, with that concept, my bedroom, first thing in a morning must be a priceless masterpiece
Old 07-12-2011, 17:53   #153
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That kind of art put me right of when some silly bint called her dirty bed a work of art, with that concept, my bedroom, first thing in a morning must be a priceless masterpiece
A lot of this so-called modern art really is "garbage" (excuse the pun). The Emperors New Clothes comes to mind. Wonder what Turner would think of it...
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:11   #154
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
A lot of this so-called modern art really is "garbage" (excuse the pun). The Emperors New Clothes comes to mind. Wonder what Turner would think of it...
Would probable haunt the people giving a prize out each year in his name
Old 07-12-2011, 19:03   #155
God Member

Quote:

Just what is the Turner Prize for? The early years of the Prize, from its beginnings in 1984 to its sudden (temporary) disappearance in 1990, saw intense debate about exactly how a prize for contemporary visual art should be organised.
One of the first issues was the naming of the Prize. Many people were at a loss to know what it had to do with the early nineteenth-century artist JMW Turner, and there were conflicting views about whether or not he would have approved. The founders of the Prize, the Tate Gallery's Patrons of New Art, had in fact chosen Turner because he'd wanted to establish a prize for young artists and because, despite being controversial in his own day, he was now seen as one of the greatest British artist.

He would probably approve i think Steve because time doesn't stand still -even though i actually enjoy more "traditional" art, I do try to "see" what the modern stuff is about even though it sometimes goes over my head....

As a footnote my guide at the Dali Galllery was my (then 9yr old) son who'd been on a course, through school, at the Modern Art Gallery in Turin and explained it all to me and was enthusiastic about everything he saw....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-12-2011, 20:08   #156
Full Member+

Quote:
Just what is the Turner Prize for? The early years of the Prize, from its beginnings in 1984 to its sudden (temporary) disappearance in 1990, saw intense debate about exactly how a prize for contemporary visual art should be organised.
One of the first issues was the naming of the Prize. Many people were at a loss to know what it had to do with the early nineteenth-century artist JMW Turner, and there were conflicting views about whether or not he would have approved. The founders of the Prize, the Tate Gallery's Patrons of New Art, had in fact chosen Turner because he'd wanted to establish a prize for young artists and because, despite being controversial in his own day, he was now seen as one of the greatest British artist.

He would probably approve i think Steve because time doesn't stand still -even though i actually enjoy more "traditional" art, I do try to "see" what the modern stuff is about even though it sometimes goes over my head....

As a footnote my guide at the Dali Galllery was my (then 9yr old) son who'd been on a course, through school, at the Modern Art Gallery in Turin and explained it all to me and was enthusiastic about everything he saw....
You could well be right, Dianne. I don't know a lot about art but I know what I like and this modern stuff just isn't for me....give me an old master any day!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 20:27   #157
God Member

Quote:
You could well be right, Dianne. I don't know a lot about art but I know what I like and this modern stuff just isn't for me....give me an old master any day!!!
Something like this perhaps....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old master.jpg (37.7 KB, 11 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-12-2011, 20:38   #158
Full Member+

Quote:
I was thinking more Rembrandt, but it's not bad...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:08   #159
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Great minds think alike Steve, there's no contest between a dirty bed or the Mona Lisa really is there
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10   #160
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Twould be very interesting seeing a garage door hung in the Tate Modern wouldn't it
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14   #161
Full Member+

Quote:
Great minds think alike Steve, there's no contest between a dirty bed or the Mona Lisa really is there
Too right!
Tell you who else is overrated...Mondrian! My daughter was bringing pictures like that home from school when she was six!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:26   #162
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Give me a Constable any day oer this fancy crap.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59   #163
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Give me a Constable any day oer this fancy crap.
And there was me thinking you hated the coppers
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50   #164
Resting In Peace

Quote:
And there was me thinking you hated the coppers
This thread is supposed to be about the Coppice not coppers.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:55   #165

I will never like Emins 'Unmade Bed', or Hirsts bloody ' The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living' (shark in a tank, with a silly title)

I understand them but I seriously do not see the point. The turner prize entries interests me, but I rarely like the works themselves. I don't mind trying to understand them, but they do confuse me and make me think why am I even trying to be an artist when this kind of stuff is being made.......

When I was at college me and my friends used to joke about putting a dirty poo filled nappy on a plinth and see what the judges think of it because they'd probably have loved how 'challenging' something like that is.........

Give me a Monet, Rembrant or even Jenny Saville anyday I LOVE traditional paintings. I haven't done much since I started uni been a bit brain-washed really. But I can always go back to it

Sonnart
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..