Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2011, 09:23   #76

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

This is one of the photos I've photo-shopped to give an idea of what life size sculptures would look like on the Coppice in certain areas. I know this one looks a bit flat, that's because the photo of the sculpture was taking head on so there is no depth to it.
There is also another photo-shopped image in my album. This is on top of the steps and although I couldn't get the colours right, I think the angle the photo of the sculpture was taken at helps it looks more realistic and less flat.

I know that these aren't great examples of photo shopping, they only took 10mins (you can tell!) but they are just to give a quick idea of what they could look like.

Comments welcome as usual

Sonnart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (113.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Neil; 30-11-2011 at 20:32.
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2011, 09:24   #77

Here it is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (122.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Neil; 30-11-2011 at 20:35.
Old 30-11-2011, 09:27   #78

And another

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (121.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Neil; 30-11-2011 at 20:37.
Old 30-11-2011, 09:53   #79
Resting In Peace

Still can't get used to the idea of trees on the Coppice. There weren't any when we used to go up there in my young days.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:52   #80
God Member

Cool Sonnart -like them "Life-size"!

Imagine they will take some making though and be quite susceptible to the Lankyshire winds.

Had you thought about that problem i wonder...may have to make sure they are put in sheltered spots.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 11:45   #81
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Nope, sorry, photo chopped or not they look like something cut out with a fret saw and unfinished.
I could show my 9 year old grandchild how to make something better with a stanley knife, at least the blood stains from her handling the blade incorrectly would show a little more life.
Must the Coppice be used as a dumping ground for someones half-hearted efforts at what they claim to be art?
BRING BACK THE PANOPTICAN ALL IS FORGIVEN!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:35   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Gotta disagree wi less,i quite like em.
Old 30-11-2011, 13:01   #83

"Nope, sorry, photo chopped or not they look like something cut out with a fret saw and unfinished.
I could show my 9 year old grandchild how to make something better with a stanley knife, at least the blood stains from her handling the blade incorrectly would show a little more life.
Must the Coppice be used as a dumping ground for someones half-hearted efforts at what they claim to be art?
BRING BACK THE PANOPTICAN ALL IS FORGIVEN!"

Less - When I say 'comments welcome', I mean useful criticism, pointers, helpful information that may inform my practice.

Not insults and how dare you be so harsh and rude about something that someone is putting a LOT of effort into. I knew that I would have to be hard skinned by posting my work on here as I understand that everyone has their own opinions and likes/dislikes different things. YOU clearly do NOT understand that.

Who says I am claiming this is art? or trying to make them look life like? They are to represent memories. This is a project for my 3rd Year Degree at uni, I have learned to open my mind to different styles and accept other people opinions. You, again clearly have NOT.

As I have explained before these are tester pieces, of course they are unfinished and the photo shopping quality is bad because they are again, example of what MIGHT be made.

Just out of interest, why would someone (who supposedly values the area) want a big ugly glass and metal building plonked ontop of somewhere as beautiful as the Coppice........... but not want sculptures, made of of wood taken from the Coppice, in the form of people and animals that use the Coppice all the time, giving something back to the Acrrington people who appreciate the views the Coppice has to give?

My sculptures will blend into the Coppice and give the dying wood a last spark of life (cheesy I know, but true).

Think before you speak Less. Your could have sent me a private message letting me know your opinions, but instead you have tried to embarrass me and humiliate my work in public. Why so negative? You should be ashamed.

Morbertol and cashman, thanks for your positive comments

Sonnart
Old 30-11-2011, 13:31   #84

Without quoting your hissy fizz, I have waited for six pages to go by hoping that at some point there would be an improvement, there hasn't been, if you can't take on board anything other than positive criticism then how are you ever going to improve?
This is so far the result of 3 years hard study? And at University prices as well?
You might like it, you are even allowed to be proud of it if you have put all your heart and talent into it.
Others do like it and have told you so, I don't like it if that disappoints or upsets you, well, perhaps instead of claiming to be deeply hurt and now made to suffer for your art, because of my comments why not take a step back and try to see it from my point of view, the only grass I have any use for on the Coppice grows there naturally I would need one heck of alot of the other type to convince me such a sight up there would be an improvement.
But don't be disheartened, what do I know about art? Obviously these objects are far too sophisticated for the likes of me and I should not be allowed any form of opinion.
Old 30-11-2011, 14:41   #85

Hissy fizz, I think not.

Why wait to make a comment like that after 6 pages? I have asked for opinions and views to be made throughout so why not voice your opinions or contrusctive advice earlier?

This is the result of my last project study, which I am proud of yes, because it's roots are in Accrington, and the Coppice, a place I am proud to know and because I am working on memories from there.

It is my choice to attend university, I am here for the experiance, I am not one of those "anything is art" persons. I expect art to be the product of a skilled person, I personally love paintings and portraiture, but like I said in the above post, I have opened my mind to other forms of art, that doesn't mean I always like it. I don't appreciate the way you are stereotyping me as a Young Brish Artist type.

I am not upset that you do not like my art, lots of people don't, lots of people do. Even I don't sometimes. But those who don't usually tell me in a positive constructed way. I have made no claim that I am deepy hurt or made to suffer for my work. Although I am upset at the comments made that have nothing in connection with it.

You flippent sarcasm is uncalled for. If you read what I posted, you will see that I have said that I accept others opinions and I understand that we are all different so of course you are allowed an opinion. I suggest that in future you may word it better to avoid causing upset by choice of words.

Top end and tail of it, I've made some tester pieces, you don't like them. Fair enough. But there is no need for the nasty comments made in which are no way "positive criticism" and I would appreciate it if you did not leave any other comments on this thread unless they are constructive. Opinions, idead, advice yes, but nasty comments not..

Sonnart
Old 30-11-2011, 14:51   #86

Oh dear, I can see I have wounded you, only positive criticism from now on.

I am positive that I don't like your work.

I am positive that it is a waste of scrap wood.

I am positive that you should put this kind of thing not on the Coppice, but where the sun don't shine.

I am also positive that you could have made a better attempt with photo shop.

Though I'm not positive about making any form of recant on what is my honest opinion, like it or lump it but don't rant at me because you're standards aren't up to mine.
Old 30-11-2011, 15:00   #87

If you say so.

I am tired of replying to your nonesense.

Standards..... hm......coming from someone who apprears to be online all day, trolling other people posts.

And before you point out that I have been online, It is for my project, networking.

Sonnart
Old 30-11-2011, 15:08   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh dear, I can see I have wounded you, only positive criticism from now on.

I am positive that I don't like your work.

I am positive that it is a waste of scrap wood.

I am positive that you should put this kind of thing not on the Coppice, but where the sun don't shine.

I am also positive that you could have made a better attempt with photo shop.

Though I'm not positive about making any form of recant on what is my honest opinion, like it or lump it but don't rant at me because you're standards aren't up to mine.
Hey man is your name Scrooge or something? Why are you being so mean to someone. Obviously someone got bullied at school. By the way while you are criticizing other peoples images, why not take a look at your photo. You look insane, almost like some dumb American hick that loves guns. I'll tell you what, why don't you get a life and stop harassing people. I would say grow up but the fact is you look like you might keel over any second.
samuelwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:19   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelwhite2008 View Post
Hey man is your name Scrooge or something? Why are you being so mean to someone. Obviously someone got bullied at school. By the way while you are criticizing other peoples images, why not take a look at your photo. You look insane, almost like some dumb American hick that loves guns. I'll tell you what, why don't you get a life and stop harassing people. I would say grow up but the fact is you look like you might keel over any second.
What a big pile of tantrum throwing insults, I was talking about your so called 'work', please refrain from getting personal, you won't like me if I start getting personal.
I made an observation, I am entitled to make an observation, you now show that you not only dislike criticism but will sink to the depths in an attempt to vilify anyone that tells the truth.

If your work had any merit you wouldn't need to be so....

Childish.
Old 30-11-2011, 15:37   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What a big pile of tantrum throwing insults, I was talking about your so called 'work', please refrain from getting personal, you won't like me if I start getting personal.
I made an observation, I am entitled to make an observation, you now show that you not only dislike criticism but will sink to the depths in an attempt to vilify anyone that tells the truth.

If your work had any merit you wouldn't need to be so....

Childish.
Merry Christmas.
samuelwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..