Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 02:07   #211
God Member

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Most of the local schools have improved damatically in the OFSTED ratings and what on earth compels you to think that it is a pupils right as to when they turn up for school?? The rules are there for a reason and if every pupil decided to just ignore them what a mess we would be in. Fortunately MOST pupils follow the school rules it just seems that a few think they are over and above following rules on punctuality. How will they get on at Uni or god forbid in the workplace??? Having said that their school records will go against them and they will be lucky to find a job or a place at Uni!!!!
Never hurt me, so I find it hard to agree. In fact, if I had followed everyone else I'd have probably ended up on a vocational course bored out of my mind. Thank god for rebellion. I wouldn't even have an education if it wasn't for rebellion, and barely any other rights for that matter. God bless those crazy rebellious women for suffrage and all that.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36   #212
Loz

So Blazey you are suggesting that it won't do anybody any harm if they completely disregard the rules?
Just because you chose not to and it worked out for you does not make it right.
How are kids supposed to learn about responsibility if they are left to do whatever the hell they like?
They will never hold a job down if they think they can turn up when they feel like it if the even get a job.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56   #213
God Member

Well too be fair, it's the only part of your life you can really take a reckless risk and hope for the best, once you realise your path then you follow it. I changed my min on what I wanted to do at college at the last minute, pushed every boundary there was at college, got into uni then got taught that it's fantastic to be like me and bend the rules a bit.

I view rules as guidelines, kind of a safe route if you may. You follow the rules though and you never really stand out. If you bend the rules and find new methods of doing things, that's when you are really noticed. I stand by that and I always will, because it has got me where I am right now and it's thought that I am going to go far, so why should I shun that?

It's only when people aren't guided with their questioning that they do the completely wrong thing. I was always told to question the WAY things are done, but understand why we do them in the first place. There is never just one way to do things, but generally the reason we do them in the first place is important.

For example, nobody would contend that we should all get a certain level of education, that is our right in this society, but there are several ways or doing so. You can go to school, and then there are different types of schools, you can be home educated, you can go to boarding school and live away from home etc. Some clever person decide to use the internet to create online courses, and things like wikipedia, google, yahoo etc. Someone changed things, and you can't change things if you don't question the 'rules'.

I used to say, as someone who has pretty much always struggled with sleep, what is the point of turning up at school half asleep and learning nothing when I can get some sleep and turn up awake the next day fully awake and refreshed and do it twice as well? I was fortunate, I wanted to do well because I was told I was capable. The problem with most of today's youth is that they're being pushed along a system and not getting individual praise and attention that you need in order to learn.

I'm not going to be ashamed of my ways though just because it isn't the norm. There is a quote somewhere that says it takes a strong person to be themselves in a world that is trying to make them the same as everyone else. Maybe it's silly living by quotes, I read them day in and day out to keep myself in the right mindset, but it's always the most fascinating and diverse people that are quoted, and I'm happy enough with that.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:43   #214
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I used to say, as someone who has pretty much always struggled with sleep, what is the point of turning up at school half asleep and learning nothing when I can get some sleep and turn up awake the next day fully awake and refreshed and do it twice as well?

Try saying that to an employer and you'll find out what's wrong with it.

A prospective employer may write to the school for references and "persistent tardiness" will immediately turn them off.

When my daughter applied for a college course and part of the requirement was that she turn up on time or she would be chucked off the course. She wouldn't get away with saying "I felt tired so I had a lie in so that I can be twice as alert tomorrow."

Quote:
I view rules as guidelines, kind of a safe route if you may. You follow the rules though and you never really stand out. If you bend the rules and find new methods of doing things, that's when you are really noticed. I stand by that and I always will, because it has got me where I am right now and it's thought that I am going to go far, so why should I shun that?
So how do you reconcile that view with the law that you are studying? Are the laws (rules) of the land merely guidelines to be ignored and bent as and when you wish in order to find new ways of doing things? When does theft become a mere bending of the rules in order to redistribute wealth more fairly? How about murder? Is that a justifiable bending of the rules if someone is getting in the way of you acheiving your goals?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 06-07-2008 at 06:47.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:57   #215
God Member

Quote:
At Uni my personal tutor says it's likely due to the fact that it was a bad school that wasn't interested in students' individual needs, just making sure the majority of people passed their GCSE's.

Maybe thats why he/she is a university personal tutor ? He/she can't be bothered with many students and wants an easy life.

Of course the schools are just making sure the majority of pupils pass their GCSE's. There is usually one teacher to a class of 25-30 kids, how can they offer personal tuition to all
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00   #216
God Member

Blazey, have you ever considered that your teacher may have been spot on with psychology with her pupils? Some people thrive on being patted on the head and told they're doing well, others thrive if they're told they can't do something - reverse psychology that makes you think 'I damn well can'.

A good teacher can identify what works with some and what works with others. I used to hate it when my friend got tons of praise for her work and I got, could do better all the time. Thing is though, that my friend was always going to work hard whereas i needed something to give me a push.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03   #217
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey
I view rules as guidelines, kind of a safe route if you may. You follow the rules though and you never really stand out. If you bend the rules and find new methods of doing things, that's when you are really noticed.
I tried that. I viewed the speed limit as a guideline, I thought I'd found a new method of getting home from work in less time so I drove at 40mph instead of 30mph. It certainly got me noticed (by a big yellow camera), cost me 60 quid and 3 points as well.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30   #218
Senior Member+

I think you'll find that Blazey is considerably more conventional than she cares to admit. When we're young we like to think of ourselves as rebellious and true individuals, but in reality it isn't like that at all.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45   #219
Resting in Peace

Has anybody noticed that blazey's post are all in true lawyer style, long and waffling, why use one word when twenty will do. I find I get so bored reading her posts I just don't bother any more, because at the end she hardly ever says anything that makes any sense anyway.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:54   #220
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I think you'll find that Blazey is considerably more conventional than she cares to admit. When we're young we like to think of ourselves as rebellious and true individuals, but in reality it isn't like that at all.
I think she posted that she's doing a placement with a London law firm this summer.

If she doesn't sleep too well, and decides to roll in late, I hope they show her the understanding she deserves.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:32   #221
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Has anybody noticed that blazey's post are all in true lawyer style, long and waffling, why use one word when twenty will do. I find I get so bored reading her posts I just don't bother any more, because at the end she hardly ever says anything that makes any sense anyway.
Attention seeking. Her posts aren't meant to be short & sweet, they are meant to keep the thread open so she will be noticed. If you conform you don't get noticed
Old 06-07-2008, 10:46   #222
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

this is priceless!! another thread swung the way of= I'm Blazey look at me. ya done it again kid.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:53   #223
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If you conform you don't get noticed
A bit like my Daily Mail posts
Old 06-07-2008, 10:56   #224
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
this is priceless!! another thread swung the way of= I'm Blazey look at me. ya done it again kid.
To be quite frank cashy I can't understand why she wants to be a lawyer, show biz would be more her cup-of-tea
Old 06-07-2008, 11:01   #225
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be quite frank cashy I can't understand why she wants to be a lawyer
She might decide to rebel against convention, and turn up late for her exams.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..