Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Weren't we promised a say on the issues before the Lisbon treaty was ratified?

Couldn't it be said that the ratification of this treaty was undemocratic because the electorate hadn't been consulted on the issues since 1975?

I thought that politicians were ultimately responsible for the legislation of this country.

It seems that we are not the only ones who are getting very disillusioned with the situation in the EU....it appears that the german population are hacked off with it too.

Eurozone debt crisis: Euro bailout attempt is utterly dishonest | Mail Online

This is the nonsenscial way the EU is trying to solve its' problems.........scary or what?
Well err yes we were promised a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, but Gordon said he knew best and that a referendum wasn't necessary, don't mind me asking but anybody seen Gordon lately
Old 12-10-2011, 14:09   #92
God Member

Quote:
If voting changed anything John, they would stop us from doing it.....they (the ruling classes)just like to let us think we have some influence.
I just wish that at some election or other no-one would vote....I wonder if it would make them sit up and take notice.........I somehow doubt it!
"I am free to vote Labour or Conservative, but if I try to act on the belief that this choice itself masks a deeper prejudice - the prejudice that the meaning of democracy is confined to putting a cross on a ballot paper every few years - then in certain unusual circumstances I might end up in prison." Terry Eagleton.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:14   #93
Beacon of light

Yes, I think that being allowed to vote is one of the biggest cons going......well, perhaps not the voting bit, but the fact that we delude ourselves into thinking that by voting we have the power to change things.....we have no more power than a beetle does of not being stepped on.
But it stops the natives from revolting.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 14:19   #94
God Member

Democracy is - choosing the colour of your cage.
By not choosing, you don't consent to whatever colour it gets painted.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:53   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Democracy is - choosing the colour of your cage.
By not choosing, you don't consent to whatever colour it gets painted.
Um never looked at it like that Margaret
Old 13-10-2011, 09:54   #96
Give, give, give member

'In a direct barb towards the anti-Brussels group, made up of 120 Tory MPs spearheaded by George Eustice, and 50 Labour MPs, the Liberal Democrat leader will add a further message likely to be met with dismay from Mr Cameron, he will reiterate his desire for Britain to join the euro.'

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Nick Clegg to rock coalition with pro-Europe plea

That nice Nick Clegg may have won over some, in the pre-election television debates, but the man is a blithering idiot if he thinks Britain should get rid of sterling, and join the euro.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:04   #97
Beacon of light

That is like climbing on board a sinking ship!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:17   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That is like climbing on board a sinking ship!
But if a politican is photogenic, speaks nicely, and comes across well on the telly, some people will still be conned, and give the ship's rat their vote.

The only good thing is that hopefully the public will now see how blindly pro the E.U. the Lib Dem's are, if their foolish leader thinks it a good idea Britain joins the euro.

It'd be more stupid than if we got rid of the pound and had chocolate toy money.

Old 13-10-2011, 17:49   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
But if a politican is photogenic, speaks nicely, and comes across well on the telly, some people will still be conned, and give the ship's rat their vote.

The only good thing is that hopefully the public will now see how blindly pro the E.U. the Lib Dem's are, if their foolish leader thinks it a good idea Britain joins the euro.

It'd be more stupid than if we got rid of the pound and had chocolate toy money.
Thought we had
Old 13-10-2011, 19:12   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Um never looked at it like that Margaret

Old 14-10-2011, 07:50   #101
Give, give, give member

'John Cridland, director-general of the business group, said that a number of proposed regulations from Brussels would hold back London's leading business sectors.'

'In a strongly-worded speech at the CBI's London dinner, he said: "The likely effect of many of Brussels' current proposals will be to damage the UK's prospects for growth. Nowhere is this more acutely the case than for professional and financial services, which are being bombarded with unwarranted regulation."

EU financial regulation could harm UK growth, CBI warns - Telegraph

Every day there are more and more stories illustrating just how damaged this country is, and will continue to be so, through membership of the E.U.

As stated earlier, 'yes' voters please feel free to post evidence of how Britian benefits from being ruled by Brussells. Because at the moment all those E.U. 'good news' reports seem to be eluding the greater majority of us.

Old 14-10-2011, 09:04   #102
Resting in Peace

I heard on the TV this morning that a lot of Greeks are asking to come out of the Euro and go back to the Drachma, then devalue it, something on the lines of "this will not effect the Drachma in the pocket or bank account of ordinary people", now where have I heard that before
Old 14-10-2011, 09:19   #103
Give, give, give member

'A Government statement to MPs yesterday made clear that no national poll will be held in Britain over plans for a £380billion emergency fund designed to support Greece and other debt-laden eurozone nations

MPs are now pinning their hopes on a crucial Commons vote expected next month on whether to hold a national in-or-out referendum on Britain’s EU membership.

The debate is being lined up by the Commons Backbench Business Committee in response to a series of petitions on the issue including one backed by 373,000 Daily Express readers as part of this newspaper’s crusade for Britain to quit the EU.'
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Public vote on EU rescue is ruled out

We live in hope.

That one day this madness ends.

Old 16-10-2011, 09:06   #104
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

All the more reason to get out, sadly succesive Uk governments & Politicians have willingly supported this systematic abuse & since nobody has got the balls to back the UK populace certainly not craven Cameron & the spineless Clegg. As to Labour they weren't any better in fact they took us further into this European cesspool so it will sadly continue to impact on the hard working tax paying British people, absolutely disgusting & unjustifiable.

Taxpayers' millions lost by EU-funded regional schemes - Telegraph

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 16-10-2011 at 09:09.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:13   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
All the more reason to get out, sadly succesive Uk governments & Politicians have willingly supported this systematic abuse & since nobody has got the balls to back the UK populace certainly not craven Cameron & the spineless Clegg. As to Labour they weren't any better in fact they took us further into this European cesspool so it will sadly continue to impact on the hard working tax paying British people, absolutely disgusting & unjustifiable.

Taxpayers' millions lost by EU-funded regional schemes - Telegraph
Ya should have PM'd that to BD

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..