Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2011, 15:00   #166
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

seems none of the main parties do, that being the case i reckon its time the british public boycotted all the main parties, its that simple.
Old 21-10-2011, 15:00   #167
I am Banned

Groove thinks we should pull out of Europe immediately.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:01   #168
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seems none of the main parties do, that being the case i reckon its time the british public boycotted all the main parties, its that simple.
Groove likes Mr.Cashmans idea.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:27   #169
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
...it was a Labour Government in 1975 that held instituted a referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union
Er...at least check the facts are right Graham.

Before chirping out the party line, like a good little canary in the gilded political cage.

The European Union didn't exist until the Maastricht Treaty came into force in 1993.

The actual wording of the 1975 referendum question was...

“Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (The Common Market)?”

The majority of the constituents you are paid to represent demand a say in their future, because not one single person has ever been allowed the right to say if they want to be members of the European Union.

A body that is not a trade alliance, which the Common Market was, back in 1975.

A referendum is the only democratic way to rectify this.

People are very angry that they have had no right to say what their destiny will be.

As stated earlier, I am one person, with one vote, but I will never again give that vote to any politican, or party that doesn't actively support the right to a referendum on this issue.

One voice...but I'm certainly not the only bird in trilling away in my cage.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:27   #170
Beacon of light

Anyone under the age of 54 has never been given a choice to say what their views are.
So the vast majority of people in the country have not had a voice.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:35   #171
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Anyone under the age of 54 has never been given a choice to say what their views are.
So the vast majority of people in the country have not had a voice.

...and those old enough to have had their say in the '75 referendum, voted on whether to stay in the 'Common Market' trade alliance.

Not to be governed by a centralised political body.

Which the European Union most certainly is.

Old 21-10-2011, 18:48   #172
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post

Seems Mr Jones doesn't believe in democracy
We live in a Parliamentary Democracy .

We do not legislate by referendums .

There have only been two nationwide referendums in the UK .
The 1975 one on EEC membership , the primary purpose of which was for Harold Wilson to solve the deep divisions within the then Labour Party on the European issue .

This year's one on the Alternative Vote was part of the agreement which enabled the Cons and the Lib Dems to form a coalition .

Clement Attlee was correct when he said that referendums are not British .

Anyone who wants to vote for a withdrawal from the EU can always vote for a candidate of a party such as UKIP at the next General Election , or , if there is no such anti-EU candidate , put himself/herself forward as one .

It's just how we do things in the UK .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 19:01   #173
Beacon of light

It is fine to put those ideas forward JCB, but I am sure you realise that the small parties like UKIP have no chance of influencing things......Only the major parties have much influence....and this is often for traditional reasons.
Going back to Clement Attlee is both unhelpful and irrelevant. Politics was a very different animal when Clement Attlee was around. Referendums might not have been British then....... the face of Britain has changed beyond all recognition. I just wonder what he would have thought about directives for legisaltion being made in Brussels.

As far as putting oneself up for Election to a party that supports an anti EU view......that isn't very practical either.
Old 21-10-2011, 19:06   #174
Senior Member+

[quote=JCB;941382]We live in a Parliamentary Democracy .

We do not legislate by referendums (quote) .

Perhaps it's time we did, in cases as important as the peacefull takeover of our country!
If a referendum was acceptable in 1975 to get us in then your argument is negated. A referendum to decide if we stay in should be just as legitimate.
As you say, the political parties are happy enough to have one when it suits their purpose( as in 1975 and 2011).
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 19:21   #175
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
It's just how we do things in the UK .
How things are done, by stealth, have radically changed in the United Kingdom in recent years.

We are now governed by, and subject to laws issued in Brussels.

Prior to us being bamboozled into becoming members of the European Union, we weren't.

It's a much more important issue to our national independence than the last half-arsed referendum. Which was supposed to be about proportional representation, but wasn't.

Carry on waving your 'It's too complicated to leave' white flag of surrender.

Whether it's 'how' things were done in the past or not, people are angry, and demand their say on this issue in a referendum.

You can stick your white flag where the Euro don't shine. Which is pretty much everywhere.

Ever since we've had more transparency, and our elected representatives have become more acountable to us than ever before, much to their distaste, 'how things were done in the past' no longer matter.

People are demanding a say on how their destiny is mapped out.

Old 21-10-2011, 19:23   #176
JCB

[quote=Gordon Booth;941391]
Quote:
We live in a Parliamentary Democracy .

We do not legislate by referendums (quote) .

Perhaps it's time we did, in cases as important as the peacefull takeover of our country!
If a referendum was acceptable in 1975 to get us in then your argument is negated. A referendum to decide if we stay in should be just as legitimate.
As you say, the political parties are happy enough to have one when it suits their purpose( as in 1975 and 2011).
The 1975 referendum was not to get us in . We had been in since 1973 . It was to see whether we should stay in , and was really for Harold Wilson's party political reasons , to solve problems in the Labour Party about the EEC .

Parliamentary sovereignty in the UK means that referendums are not constitutionally binding .

I am not in favour of them anyway .
Old 21-10-2011, 19:28   #177
Give, give, give member

I gave the actual wording of the 1975 referendum, when the Common Market was nothing more than a trade alliance, in #169 of this thread.

“Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (The Common Market)?”

No mention of the European Union.

It didn't exist!

Last edited by garinda; 21-10-2011 at 19:31.
Old 21-10-2011, 19:52   #178
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We do not legislate by referendums .
Since 1973 there have been 11 referendums in the U.K., including the two national ones.

When it comes to referendums at local government level, in that same time frame, you can 37 more to that list.

What were you saying about referendums not being 'how we do things in the U.K.'?

Old 21-10-2011, 20:11   #179
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Carry on waving your 'It's too complicated to leave' white flag of surrender.
I am not saying it is too complicated to leave .

Some are saying we should get out immediately . That's too simplistic .

I have no strong preference as to whether we should be in or out .

What I am trying to get across is that we should not leave the EU without ensuring that the alternative will be better . Now surely that's going to take time and plenty of negotiating . Complicated ? Yes , but not too complicated .

Whether you like the man or not , Neil Kinnock was correct when in his anti-Militant Tendency speech of 1985 he said , " You don't play politics with peoples' jobs . "

I want to see the jobs , the livelihoods , and the welfare of the people of this country guaranteed in any alternative to the EU .
Old 21-10-2011, 20:16   #180
Beacon of light

Quote:
I am not saying it is too complicated to leave .

Some are saying we should get out immediately . That's too simplistic .

I have no strong preference as to whether we should be in or out .

What I am trying to get across is that we should not leave the EU without ensuring that the alternative will be better . Now surely that's going to take time and plenty of negotiating . Complicated ? Yes , but not too complicated .

Whether you like the man or not , Neil Kinnock was correct when in his anti-Militant Tendency speech of 1985 he said , " You don't play politics with peoples' jobs . "

I want to see the jobs , the livelihoods , and the welfare of the people of this country guaranteed in any alternative to the EU .
What Neil Kinnock said was just empty rhetoric. Politicians have always played politics on the back of Jobs. Ask those who work for Bombardier at Derby and see what they say.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..