Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2011, 08:01   #196
God Member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Graham's position is quite simple; he's in the whip's office - the bottom rung of the ladder to a front bench position and if he sticks two fingers up to Red Ed now he's out on his bum. That's not too bad in itself, because while Hyndburn constituency may well lose the credo of having a rising star in the opposition, at least it's MP can then concentrate on local issue's. The real problem arises for Graham in a few years time, because if the existing constituency disappears, then he ain't going to be top of the list for selection to one of the new 'uns. So it will back to his old day job. Shame, that.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2011, 08:31   #197
God Member

Too late to vote in the poll but I'd have voted no.

Unless an MP is against referenda, I cannot see why they would not vote for this. Voting in favour of it on Monday does not make an MP anti-EU, it is simply voting in favour of giving the British people a say.
Old 22-10-2011, 08:35   #198
Resting in Peace

Can't see the point in debating an issue If you have to vote the way you are told or be resigned to spend the rest of your life on the naughty step.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 08:37   #199
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Graham's position is quite simple; he's in the whip's office - the bottom rung of the ladder to a front bench position and if he sticks two fingers up to Red Ed now he's out on his bum. That's not too bad in itself, because while Hyndburn constituency may well lose the credo of having a rising star in the opposition, at least it's MP can then concentrate on local issue's. The real problem arises for Graham in a few years time, because if the existing constituency disappears, then he ain't going to be top of the list for selection to one of the new 'uns. So it will back to his old day job. Shame, that.
As a current MP he will get first dibs at the redrawn seat. There may not even be any challengers if the old seat makes up the majority of the new one. If there is a challenge, the local association will choose. For Graham's sake he better hope they like a Labour loyalist!
Old 22-10-2011, 09:07   #200
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Too late to vote in the poll but I'd have voted no.

Unless an MP is against referenda, I cannot see why they would not vote for this. Voting in favour of it on Monday does not make an MP anti-EU, it is simply voting in favour of giving the British people a say.
I apologise.

I thought I'd set the poll to remain an open one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 09:17   #201
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and those old enough to have had their say in the '75 referendum, voted on whether to stay in the 'Common Market' trade alliance.

Not to be governed by a centralised political body.

Which the European Union most certainly is.
I voted to say in the Common Market back in 75, not to be a member of a federal states of Europe
Old 22-10-2011, 12:56   #202
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
At the 2010 General Election Labour did stand on a pro EU ticket without referendum.
Yes, and as pointed out, it was the first time Labour had lost a General Election since 1992.

Prior to the last Election Labour won in 2005, Tony Blair had this to say.

'Tony Blair says a referendum is to be held on the new European constitution'

'For months the prime minister has denied the need for a vote, but on Tuesday he conceded it was time to...

''Let the people have a final say.''

BBC NEWS | UK | Politics | Blair confirms EU constitution poll

A pre-election statement that we now know to be a lie. Because has soon as Labour secured their third successive victory, they reneged on giving the people the right to have their say in a referendum.

Old 22-10-2011, 13:16   #203
Give, give, give member

At least there's one politican prepared to fall on his sword, and rebel against his party, because he knows it's the right thing to do.

'Stewart Jackson told the BBC: "This is a question of putting, I believe, country and constituency first and party second because in the end it's a question about whether we trust the European elite that has led us into the calamity of European governance."
BBC News - EU referendum proves battleground

Stewart Jackson, those who are sick and tired of being denied a voice, applaud you.

Old 22-10-2011, 13:24   #204
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whilst jackson is to be applauded,sadly aint enough of em wi the backbone to make a difference. imho.
Old 22-10-2011, 13:32   #205
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whilst jackson is to be applauded,sadly aint enough of em wi the backbone to make a difference. imho.
Sadly this is true.

Monday's vote will be a loss for democracy.

There are too many personally ambitious politicans, who'd rather attempt to climb the greasy political pole, than do what is right for the country, and the people they're paid to represent.

This vote will more than probably result in defeat...but this issue of injustice will not be going away.

Old 22-10-2011, 14:05   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
At least there's one politician prepared to fall on his sword, and rebel against his party, because he knows it's the right thing to do.

'Stewart Jackson told the BBC: "This is a question of putting, I believe, country and constituency first and party second because in the end it's a question about whether we trust the European elite that has led us into the calamity of European governance."
BBC News - EU referendum proves battleground

Stewart Jackson, those who are sick and tired of being denied a voice, applaud you.

Stewart Jackson put it right, country and Constituency first, Party second, that's exactly the outlook Ken Hargreaves had during his time in Parliament, he wasn't interested in any ministerial jobs, just representing the people who he grew up with and lived amongst all his life
Old 22-10-2011, 16:00   #207
Give, give, give member

I'd like to ask our M.P., Graham Jones, just one, very simple question.

Since there seems to be many people, both nationwide, and locally, who think the way we are governed as fundamentally changed, and who'd like the chance to give their opinion on the matter, and their thoughts taken into consideration.

Other than to toe the party line, can you give us one good reason why not to vote that we should have a referendum on this issue?

Just one.

Old 23-10-2011, 06:22   #208
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Just one.
?

Old 23-10-2011, 08:42   #209
Resting in Peace

Quote:
?
Seems some fell on stony ground Rindi
Old 23-10-2011, 08:49   #210
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
At the 2010 General Election Labour did stand on a pro EU ticket without referendum. Whatever my own personal views are, any shift from that would be a case of MPs promising one thing and doing another. I would legitamaly anger pro EU Labour voters who quite rightly feel cheated.
Graham, you're a local lad so I'm amazed at this post. Surely, you must realise that this sort of puerile bull doesn't fool the canny folk of Accrington & district for one minute!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..