Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 09:07   #781
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Those are fair points Graham but I still don't see why they need to know if people are in debt and by how much, or the level of income of the family.

It could all change in a flash anyway - somebody could be made redundant and get behind on their mortgage and fall into debt.
They need to know whether you could afford to buy or need to rent.
Statistics provide a snapshot in time. As one family's finances fail, another family's improve - will be just a guideline to overall needs of the borough

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 09:15   #782
God Member

I haven't received one of these forms yet so don't know what it's about but from the sounds of things they're not going to get the answers they need anyway.

I may be making a presumption here but usually the people who are living in lower value accomodation or struggling to afford accomodation come with a full set of social issues as well, including lacking educationally and lacking political involvement or awareness and therefore less able or less inclined to fill in forms like this. Now I realise that's a bit of a sweeping statement and you'll no doubt find many examples who are struggling to afford homes because of sudden illness, redundancy etc, but my point is that I don't think a form through every door will really get the response you need and the average, white, middle class, middle aged lady, will fill in the forms like the good little girls they are and skew the results somewhat.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 09:38   #783
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I haven't received one of these forms yet so don't know what it's about but from the sounds of things they're not going to get the answers they need anyway.

I may be making a presumption here but usually the people who are living in lower value accomodation or struggling to afford accomodation come with a full set of social issues as well, including lacking educationally and lacking political involvement or awareness and therefore less able or less inclined to fill in forms like this. Now I realise that's a bit of a sweeping statement and you'll no doubt find many examples who are struggling to afford homes because of sudden illness, redundancy etc, but my point is that I don't think a form through every door will really get the response you need and the average, white, middle class, middle aged lady, will fill in the forms like the good little girls they are and skew the results somewhat.
Sad but true. I am disconcerted that this survey was launched without any explanation of its purpose, which leads me to think that our tory council WANT IT TO FAIL so that they will not feel obligated to build social housing for rent. Central government clearly wants them to, and they will soon be given the power to.

Old 14-11-2007, 09:54   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sad but true. I am disconcerted that this survey was launched without any explanation of its purpose, which leads me to think that our tory council WANT IT TO FAIL so that they will not feel obligated to build social housing for rent. Central government clearly wants them to, and they will soon be given the power to.
I think you have a very valid point here Margaret.

I haven't received one of these surveys yet either. So can't comment on its content. Although at the present time I am not in need of social housing, possibly in a few years time I might need a place in a sheltered housing scheme. Surely the Council need some indication of the age range of its residents (I know there are other ways of finding this information out - but doubt they would pursue these avenues).

Cynically you could say that the Tory Council is not interested in social housing, because there are not any votes in it for them.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:56   #785
God Member

Just read the notes more fully and they state that the houses receiving these are being selected at random. I fail to see how they can get a proper picture of the problems if they aren't sent to everyone.
Old 14-11-2007, 12:02   #786
Resident Waffler

How do they know that people will even fill them in truthfully?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 12:27   #787
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
How do they know that people will even fill them in truthfully?
(chuckles) -- well I did (I never lie)--- but likely some wont -- more likely to understate their savings than anything else.

Old 14-11-2007, 13:55   #788
Resident Waffler

That was what I was thinking.

Old 19-11-2007, 21:05   #789

Thread bump....

There is a vote in Harwood about the renaming of the borough on Thursday. (It's amazing what you pick up in the chip shop .)
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 21:35   #790
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Thread bump....

There is a vote in Harwood about the renaming of the borough on Thursday. (It's amazing what you pick up in the chip shop .)
7.0 p.m. Bank Mill House. Only a small part of the issues to be discussed, but the main one will be the idea of Great Harwood having its own Town Council.

Seems, as reported in the Observer, Mr. Britcliffe will propose at the next full council meeting that a referendum should be held on this controversial proposal.
Ending in a comment .. "We are not a dictatorial council, we want to embrace everyone's views" ..

(as long as it is my view ) methinks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 22:34   #791

The vote at the Great Harwood council meeting is because they were not allowed to vote at the last meeting (this meeting was in about July/August all the other Area Councils voted at this time).

I think PB thinks that by allowing them to have their own Town Council, it will bring the residents of Great Harwood around tot he idea of the name change.

The referundum on the name change must not be allowed to be tied in with Town Councils, they are 2 completely seperate issues.

PB is still insisiting that the name change will not cost money, but there has already been a large amount ot Council Officers time spent on the name change, which must have a cost.

Also why has there not been as much effort put into promoting the borough of Hyndburn, has there been effort put into persuding the people of the borough that we need a change of name.

Surely it is more important to put time and effort (and money) into front line services for residents not into some 'Talking Shop' about the name of the borough.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:37   #792
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Thread bump....

I'm suprised Britcliffe's not holding the show of hands in the actual chippy.

100% of people who like pie 'n' chips in Harwood, support this proposal.

What's the point, if as Graham said, there is to be a borough wide referendum tied into the elections next year?

Sounds like a total waste of time and money...but no suprise there.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:39   #793
God Member

reminder put in my phone to attend meeting in gt harwood

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 07:49   #794
Resident Waffler

I'd like to give you karma for that post Claytonender but I have to spread it around a bit first. I think you are spot on though.

Old 20-11-2007, 15:36   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
reminder put in my phone to attend meeting in gt harwood
I hope that you are able to make your views on the name change and proposed Town Council heard.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..