Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50   #1

Trick or Treat.

On Sunday evening myself and a friend decided to go for a few pints in the Hare and Hounds in Clayton le moors, we are both smokers so went outside to sit under the shelter. We had not been there that long when a red Van pulled up on the car park out of which appeared two young children dressed up in Halloween Gear.
They crossed the car park and headed towards the Shelter to were they began to ask people for money. Then as bold as brass they went into the pub. After about 10mins they reappeared out back with buckets full of £1.00 coins and started asking the people outside for money again. The youngest of them came over to me asking for money, to which I told him to ****** off and come back in 3 weeks time.
They then crossed the car park back to the red van, were a woman was standing with a bag into which they empted there buckets.
About 30mins later we headed up to the Greyhound and again sat out side, Guess what appeared on the car park? A red van. Same two children again begging for money. Again they walked straight into the pub and came out with bucket full of money. This was approx 9:30pm.
What do you think?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07   #2
I am Banned

Re: Trick or Treat.

100 percent for effort and ingenuity and if people are stupid enough to put money in their bucket then good luck to them,perhaps they were ****** but what a good money making scam,especially for the woman in the van,but i always thought it was illegal to collect money in a pub unless you were a registered charity or had a badge to show i.d and age of person collecting money and the landlord/ manager should have shown them the door b4 they started the collection.
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15   #3
God Member

Hopefully as the Observer pick up information from this website they might actually make people aware of the scam in this weeks paper.

As an aside I can't beleive people are daft enough to part with money for trick or treat on the 7th October, anybody who comes to my door or asks me in town before October 31st will be impolitely told where to go.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Hopefully as the Observer pick up information from this website they might actually make people aware of the scam in this weeks paper.

As an aside I can't beleive people are daft enough to part with money for trick or treat on the 7th October, anybody who comes to my door or asks me in town before October 31st will be impolitely told where to go.
Oh ******, I have just put on my costume and was heading your way. Ginger has gone to Belgium today, and I need money to go out!!

So no chance of a bit of trick or treat money from your house dave??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Oh ******, I have just put on my costume and was heading your way. Ginger has gone to Belgium today, and I need money to go out!!

So no chance of a bit of trick or treat money from your house dave??

You need a costume ???
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You need a costume ???
I don't remember saying what the costume was

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:32   #7
Resident Waffler

If they come here on October 31st they get sweets but only if they are brave enough to take them from 'Aggie', our life size cackling witch.

If they come any other time they are told to go away.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06   #8
mez
God Member

this "scam" was tried out a couple of years ago in the stag needless to say the kids (who were quite "cheeky" ) didn't get away with a lot of money ....accywebbers meet on at the time ......we were too shrewed for um, we did have a tin of sweeties with us ...but they refused them & only wanted money.
Old 09-10-2007, 16:15   #9
God Member

I don't like Halloween. Trick or treating is just begging for money. I was never allowed to do it and I won't let my kids do it. Every year I just wish Halloween would go away.
Old 09-10-2007, 18:36   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

hey what a bloody good idea!!
i know where im taking my kids trick or treating

only joking!!!....if the punters are daft enough to do it then thats thier problem
Old 09-10-2007, 18:39   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't like Halloween. Trick or treating is just begging for money. I was never allowed to do it and I won't let my kids do it. Every year I just wish Halloween would go away.
Here, here Lilly .. pain in the rear. Think Ok with organised private events, but knocking on people's doors to threaten them with a trick or pay up is not my idea of fun either.

Having said that, have always wanted to hold a party at home with scary decorations, cobwebs, green/red light bulbs, fancy dress, appropriately named drinks, etc., could be fun.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 18:39   #12
God Member

There are some cheeky sods about, I'm afraid they wouldn't have got anything off me!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 18:51   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Having said that, have always wanted to hold a party at home with scary decorations, cobwebs, green/red light bulbs, fancy dress, appropriately named drinks, etc., could be fun.
We've had them for the kids with some very weird food and drinks. One lad came in a really superb outfit with a fantastic staff which his uncle had made for him. It was carved as if a snake was twining round it and a mouse disappearing into a knothole. I was very impressed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 18:54   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
There are some cheeky sods about, I'm afraid they wouldn't have got anything off me!!!
dont think its cheek to them bernie,its a Business, usually operated by our "travelling friends"
Old 09-10-2007, 18:55   #15

I live on a very small Island in Thailand and have only popped back home to renew my visa and spend a bit of time with my family.
The island I live on (Koh Phangan) is a very poor island and a lot of the children there have nothing at all, No P.C’s , No playstations, No fancy Trainers on their feet, in fact a lot of them do not have any shoes.
I have been there now for nearly two years and not once has anybody asked (Begged) for anything of me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..