Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 13:02   #136
Give, give, give member

Re: Trick or Treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Butternut squash soup is lovely. My Ma makes it for me at least once a week.
The one she makes is just butternut squash, red peppers, and chicken stock.

Very simple.

Very tasty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2011, 13:06   #137
God Member

Quote:
We took my Italian friend Milly to one not far from me.

Absolute rubbish, as far as being anything like Italian food.

Monte Cristo's is much better. Though it's nothing like you get in restaurants in Italy.

Butternut squash soup is lovely. My Ma makes it for me at least once a week.

I'm pretty sure it is the same one where I was on Tuesday evening...can't name names but it's not far from you. Never been to Monte Cristo's

Am thinking of coming over to set the record straight and start up my own place, Italian food is light and healthy, full of flavour, not swathed in heavy sauces and you should never combine cream and tomato it's sacrilege! The only good thing i had was Olives and they were from a jar..

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:09   #138
God Member

Quote:
The one she makes is just butternut squash, red peppers, and chicken stock.

Very simple.

Very tasty.
Sounds good -mine is just bn squash, carrots, onion, potato and stock.

Will give your Ma's recipe a try..

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 13:12   #139
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Can atheism grow? Thought it was just an absolute rejection of any deities..
Yes, know what you mean, that was a bad choice of words. I mean more convinced in my atheism, not doubting that I am an atheist and not an agnostic.

Religion has given us some wonderful buildings and art especially in your adopted part of the world, plus some great music. I've been a choral singer for years and you can't beat a good go at Messiah.

Shame about some of the other things that religion has brought us though.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:17   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I'm pretty sure it is the same one where I was on Tuesday evening...can't name names but it's not far from you. Never been to Monte Cristo's

Am thinking of coming over to set the record straight and start up my own place, Italian food is light and healthy, full of flavour, not swathed in heavy sauces and you should never combine cream and tomato it's sacrilege! The only good thing i had was Olives and they were from a jar..
Best Italian food I ever had wasn't in Milan, Rome, or Florence, it was in London.

Eating all the food Milly's Nonna Lotti used to make for me, and have sent over.

Better stop licking my lips before someone decides I need exorcising...bringing us neatly back on topic.

Old 03-11-2011, 13:19   #141
Senior Member+

i grated our pumpkin 'brains' into a meatloaf, bulks it up, gets veg in the kids and doesnt waste any food

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:22   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Religion has given us some wonderful buildings and art especially in your adopted part of the world, plus some great music. I've been a choral singer for years and you can't beat a good go at Messiah.
Me too.

I was raised a Methodist, but am a sucker for incense, a bit of overblown Baroque bling, and some Gregorian chant.

Still a happy a non-believer though.

Old 03-11-2011, 13:34   #143
God Member

Mobertol - I know which 'restaurant' you refer to.
Last time I went there the food was inedible ('off' salmon)- I left after paying only for the spring water.

It is now a year since I ate out, I enjoyed Quattros - reasonably good eating then.

There used to be a very small Italian restaurant on Blackburn Rd Antley.
The food was so good it was fully booked up every weekend and you had to book a weekend visit 6/8 weeks in advance. It wasn't a pizzeria (pie shop), nor a trattoria (cafe) - it was a true ristorante. The chef/owner was from the alpine region so that would have been ideal regional food for you. He made a mint here - enough to buy a restaurant back home.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:37   #144
God Member

Quote:
Best Italian food I ever had wasn't in Milan, Rome, or Florence, it was in London.

Eating all the food Milly's Nonna Lotti used to make for me, and have sent over.

Upon learning this I'm not surprised she was rather unmoved by your gift of tea-towels, G. The last thing Cinders wants is a new broom

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-11-2011, 13:44   #145
God Member

I quite liked the look of Zen Bhuddism, but it was a bit like living as though you are dead already - purity of thought, no ego, and a mind empty of useless surmising/worry.

Old 03-11-2011, 13:55   #146
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Mobertol - I know which 'restaurant' you refer to.
Last time I went there the food was inedible ('off' salmon)- I left after paying only for the spring water.

It is now a year since I ate out, I enjoyed Quattros - reasonably good eating then.

The food was so good it was fully booked up every weekend and you had to book a weekend visit 6/8 weeks in advance. It wasn't a pizzeria (pie shop), nor a trattoria (cafe) - it was a true ristorante. The chef/owner was from the alpine region so that would have been ideal regional food for you. He made a mint here - enough to buy a restaurant back home.
You've always given this a good rating.

Will definitely go and try it.

Old 03-11-2011, 13:59   #147
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That place was fantastic!

The name's on the tip of my tongue.

We were talking about it the other week, as one of the best eating places we've ever had round here.

Was he Swiss, or have I dreamt that bit?

Old 03-11-2011, 14:02   #148
God Member

Quote:
That place was fantastic!

The name's on the tip of my tongue.

We were talking about it the other week, as one of the best eating places we've ever had round here.

Was he Swiss, or have I dreamt that bit?
It was named after the village he came from in the Italian alps - and I don't remember the name either.

Old 03-11-2011, 14:05   #149
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It was named after the village he came from in the Italian alps - and I don't remember the name either.
Thanks.

I won't wrack my few remaining brain cells then.

I was getting something begining with 'C'.

Old 03-11-2011, 14:14   #150
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Was it not called Valentino's, or something similar?

Not a village, I know, but it's ringing my bell now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..