Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2007, 20:38   #61

Re: Trick or Treat.

I never answered the door either. I did climb on the upstairs window sill though, opened the window and listened to the lil buggers when they got no reply at the front door. They turned the air blue I can tell you.
Old 31-10-2007, 21:09   #62
Passed away 25-11-09

I think that's a shame, when little children have dressed up and are excited about going out in the dark. Of course I don't know what goes on in Accy these days but here the kids who come round are well behaved and have grown-ups with them and it's all just fun. I enjoy opening the door to groups of little ghouls, devils and witches and putting lollipops into their little bags. I suppose it's different if you're getting teenagers and kids who are after money but we haven't had any of that.

Some of my neighbours dress up for the occasion. One lady down the road made all the groups of kids jump when she answered her door, in the dark, wearing a witch's outfit and a luminous green mask. She's over 70, too.
Old 31-10-2007, 22:19   #63
white rabbits

We had loads of little kids come with their older siblings or parents,,,,...we had a lovely time,,,,,one little lad was the cutest pumpkin ever.....
Old 31-10-2007, 23:34   #64
Accy Goddess

Not had many callers tonight. Mick answered the door. Not catch me answering the door.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56   #65
Resting in Peace

Well i must admit i dont normally bother with them but tonight we had 2 knocks on the door the first was 2 girls about 10 and 8 and had there mum they were dressed up well and very polite with "trick or treat please" and after letting them dip into a tin of chocs a very nice thankyou the youngest girl said to her mum on leaving "we must go there again next year"

The next was a boy about 8 it was a bit late but i was more bothered about my broadband had gone down so was trying to sort that so i went to the door and this lad in a mask was there with his sister very nice and polite again so was happy to give them some sweets.

We had had some kids earlier in the month about the 9th calling i told them to call back when its halloween all he said i will put your windows through they never came back.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05   #66
Resident Waffler

I wasn't here when ours called which was a shame. I love seeing their little faces.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:01   #67
Give, give, give member

Ding dong.

Trick or treat?

What they should have said is...

'You don't know me, or my child, who I've stuck a witch's hat on, but we're begging door to door, for food or money, and there is the threat of a trick, if you don't comply'.

I do think it's odd.

Especially when you don't know the people doing it.

Probably because it hadn't crossed the Atlantic in the seventies, when I was a child.

I do remember seeing Trick or Treating mentioned in a Snoopy cartoon, and thinking it a daft thing, even as a seven year old.

I hope they accepted my 'Sorry darling, I haven't any sweets', and my gate isn't hanging off it's hinges.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:06   #68
Resting in Peace

Best way is when they ask "Trick or Treat", reply "Trick", and throw a bucket of water over them. Is that correct ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:08   #69
Give, give, give member

Paedophiles must love this time of year.

People sending their kids out, on the dark nights prior to Halloween, knocking on strangers' doors.

Home delivery.

Old 31-10-2011, 17:33   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Best way is when they ask "Trick or Treat", reply "Trick", and throw a bucket of water over them. Is that correct ?

I couldn't do that to this one.

She was sweet, and only about three.

Though if I could have thrown it over her head, and got the mother, skulking in the shadows...

I haven't actually had many this year. (So far.)

I do think it's unsafe though. When it's unaccompanied children knocking on strangers' doors.

When did this 'custom' start in the U.K.?

It definitely wasn't widespread in the seventies.

We just made lanterns out of turnips, or jam jars, and watched the girls from the riding school go down the lane on their horses dressed as witches.

If you were really lucky you might get taken up Pendle.

But our Dad always said there'd be too much traffic, and nowhere to park. So we went the following Sunday, in very un-eerie broad daylight.

Old 31-10-2011, 17:54   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Ding dong.

Trick or treat?

What they should have said is...

'You don't know me, or my child, who I've stuck a witch's hat on, but we're begging door to door, for food or money, and there is the threat of a trick, if you don't comply'.

I do think it's odd.

Especially when you don't know the people doing it.

Probably because it hadn't crossed the Atlantic in the seventies, when I was a child.

I do remember seeing Trick or Treating mentioned in a Snoopy cartoon, and thinking it a daft thing, even as a seven year old.

I hope they accepted my 'Sorry darling, I haven't any sweets', and my gate isn't hanging off it's hinges.

Ok ... that clears up something I was going to ask about when this thread first came up. For the life of me I couldn't remember anything special about Halloween, when I was a kid over there; except that the day after was All Saints' Day, and, as all Old Saintonians remember, we got a half-day holiday. Over here it's a great time for the kiddies ... and later in the nite, a good excuse for the adults to dress up and get wasted.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 17:55   #72
Give, give, give member

Spoke too soon.

Just had two more lots, rat-a-tat-tatting.

Where's my bucket?

Old 31-10-2011, 17:56   #73
Resting in Peace

They've never bothered me since I went to the door the other year and frightened um to death
Old 31-10-2011, 17:59   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... that clears up something I was going to ask about when this thread first came up. For the life of me I couldn't remember anything special about Halloween, when I was a kid over there; except that the day after was All Saints' Day, and, as all Old Saintonians remember, we got a half-day holiday. Over here it's a great time for the kiddies ... and later in the nite, a good excuse for the adults to dress up and get wasted.
You'd love it now.

It's like living in Boise, Idaho.

Yes siree!

Old 31-10-2011, 18:02   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Spoke too soon.

Just had two more lots, rat-a-tat-tatting.

Where's my bucket?

Just give them my address ... I got lots of treats
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..