Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40   #106
Common Sense Member

Re: Trick or Treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
For the past few years the council have blocked off all the places you could put a burger van or park a car with blockades.

I wonder how much they spend making sure people who want to celibrate a tradition cant have any fun
I took my wife to Pendle Hill on Hallowe'en a few years ago as we both thought it would be a good atmosphere and full of the local occultists. Instead we found a fairground on a hillside and left for a pint in a charming pub in Pendleton.

If that tacky effort on Pendle Hill is a celebration of the occult you can stick it for me.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47   #107
Common Sense Member

The 'Annual Festival of Licensed Begging' as I once heard it called is actually quite an event up at Rishton Towers and in a world where children are restrained from having any sort of 'dangerous' fun I now welcome it. My pumpkin candle and skull were on display in the window and a sign directed the kids round to the back gate where we were sat out round the chinmea with plates of homecooked pie waiting to scare the little blighters in the back alley. It's all good fun and every one of them seemed to enjoy a genuine little fright to go with whatever they took from the tray of treats.

Let them have a bit of fun, they've got precious little left that they're allowed to do.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:49   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I took my wife to Pendle Hill on Hallowe'en a few years ago as we both thought it would be a good atmosphere and full of the local occultists. Instead we found a fairground on a hillside and left for a pint in a charming pub in Pendleton.

If that tacky effort on Pendle Hill is a celebration of the occult you can stick it for me.
It used to be fun years ago Ken, but like everything else these days, things change for the worse and take away the real meaning of the event, I'll bet there are lots of kids have no idea who Guy Fawkes actually was although a lot of them will be burning his effigy on Saturday
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54   #109
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
...followed the simple rule of only knocking on doors where they had some Halloween decorations on display - others were left in peace
Good idea.

Perhaps the God botherers might do the same, if we haven't got their particular holy book hanging from our knockers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57   #110
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It used to be fun years ago Ken, but like everything else these days, things change for the worse and take away the real meaning of the event, I'll bet there are lots of kids have no idea who Guy Fawkes actually was although a lot of them will be burning his effigy on Saturday
they learn about him in school, ty knows who he was

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57   #111
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Good idea.

Perhaps the God botherers might do the same, if we haven't got their particular holy book hanging from our knockers.

Just keep the bucket of cold water by the door, they'll soon get the message!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The 'Annual Festival of Licensed Begging' as I once heard it called is actually quite an event up at Rishton Towers and in a world where children are restrained from having any sort of 'dangerous' fun I now welcome it. My pumpkin candle and skull were on display in the window and a sign directed the kids round to the back gate where we were sat out round the chinmea with plates of homecooked pie waiting to scare the little blighters in the back alley. It's all good fun and every one of them seemed to enjoy a genuine little fright to go with whatever they took from the tray of treats.

Let them have a bit of fun, they've got precious little left that they're allowed to do.
Er....we, the children born more than twenty years ago, before this custom was imported from America, had great fun at Halloween.

Though that fun didn't involve knocking on the doors of strangers, and begging for goods, or money, with threats of menace if they didn't comply.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:00   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
they learn about him in school, ty knows who he was
You mean they are actually teaching kids about British history, I though that they had tried to airbrush our history out of the archives
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Just keep the bucket of cold water by the door, they'll soon get the message!
I'm more of a traditionalist, at heart.

gardyloo - definition of gardyloo by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04   #115
God Member

Quote:
I'll bet there are lots of kids have no idea who Guy Fawkes actually was although a lot of them will be burning his effigy on Saturday
The Gunpowder Plot was led by Robert Catesby aided by his two Catholic friends Guido Fawkes and John Wright who wanted to get rid of the protestant King (religion rears it's head again!)

Guy Fawkes night has a nice ring to it - Catesby night is a bit of a damp squib...
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07   #116
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Er....we, the children born more than twenty years ago, before this custom was imported from America, had great fun at Halloween.

Though that fun didn't involve knocking on the doors of strangers, and begging for goods, or money, with threats of menace if they didn't comply.

You must have much rougher kids by your duckpond.

I'm well aware of the American origins but for me it is well worth it to see infant school kids getting all dressed up and actually doing something fun with their parents instead of being told to play on their X-Box.

I'm no great lover of children which is why I've never had them but if the sight of a three year old boy dressed as a pumpkin doesn't melt your heart then you must be an even harsher man than I.

You may even see Uncle Kenny dressed as an elf this year at Father Christmas's grotto in the Market Hall...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:12   #117
God Member

Quote:
I remember wondering what that must have been like years ago when we visited a french mediaeval town called Villefranche-en-Conflent down near the Pyrenees - narrow streets and old buildings with open drains down the side. The stench must have been nauseating!
Bet they didn't get many Jehovah's Witnesses knocking them up on a Sunday morning

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18   #118
God Member

I recall the last time I had a door knock from god botherers.
I said -'So you're selling religion? I don't want any'.
She said- 'we aren't selling'
I said - 'You can't give it away here'
...and closed the door

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The Gunpowder Plot was led by Robert Catesby aided by his two Catholic friends Guido Fawkes and John Wright who wanted to get rid of the protestant King (religion rears it's head again!)

Guy Fawkes night has a nice ring to it - Catesby night is a bit of a damp squib...
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason

Should ever be forgot."
Well actually I do remember that, because I was taught it at school, although kids today may know who Guy the fall Guy was, bet not too many can name Robert Catesby or John Wright as his co-conspirators
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26   #120
God Member

Quote:
Well actually I do remember that, because I was taught it at school, although kids today may know who Guy the fall Guy was, bet not too many can name Robert Catesby or John Wright as his co-conspirators
We probably both had this drummed into us as good catholics John

I will never forget our first year school trip at Paddock House - we went to see the Holy Hand of Edmund Arrowsmith....

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..