Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2007, 08:33   #46
God Member

Re: Trick or Treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
i want one of them posters, i know im not old but where can i get hold of one???? i can say is for my nana wich she probly want one as well
This is a Quote from the link
The posters, showing a witch on a broom stick underneath the words 'No Trick or Treats', can be picked up from libraries, council offices, surgeries and schools and then placed in windows or near front doors

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2007, 19:49   #47
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter and her friend are going trick or treating tomorrow, with my daughter as chaperone. They are only going up and down our street, dressed as witches, and will not accept money, only "treats".

My treat is going to be a bowl of hot pumpkin soup when they get back (had to do something with all that pumpkin flesh that's been hollowed out, there's more than enough for a pie too). I've never made it before so fingers crossed it is a treat.
Old 30-10-2007, 19:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
My granddaughter and her friend are going trick or treating tomorrow, with my daughter as chaperone. They are only going up and down our street, dressed as witches, and will not accept money, only "treats".

My treat is going to be a bowl of hot pumpkin soup when they get back (had to do something with all that pumpkin flesh that's been hollowed out, there's more than enough for a pie too). I've never made it before so fingers crossed it is a treat.
I've had pumpkin soup before and our neighbour kindly popped round with some pumpkin cake on Sunday evening....I can assure you that neither was a treat. Might just be me but I find pumpkin rather tasteless.
Old 30-10-2007, 19:58   #49
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I've had pumpkin soup before and our neighbour kindly popped round with some pumpkin cake on Sunday evening....I can assure you that neither was a treat. Might just be me but I find pumpkin rather tasteless.

Oh heck.

I've had pumpkin soup before and I liked it, just never made it myself. I've never heard of pumpkin cake but, I've got to say it, it doesn't sound very nice. I love pumpkin pie but it's got to be the right recipe or it can be very bland. I put cinnamon and nutmeg in mine and it's lovely.

I'll let you know the verdict on the soup.
Old 30-10-2007, 19:58   #50
God Member

Quote:
Not if it done right ... pumpkin pie and whipped cream, mmmm. Pumpkin needs the addition of pumpkin spice if it is to taste right. Pumpkin pie rules, the only thing better is Saskatoon Pie!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 20:07   #51

Quote:
Oh heck.

I've had pumpkin soup before and I liked it, just never made it myself. I've never heard of pumpkin cake but, I've got to say it, it doesn't sound very nice. I love pumpkin pie but it's got to be the right recipe or it can be very bland. I put cinnamon and nutmeg in mine and it's lovely.

I'll let you know the verdict on the soup.
I'm sure your granddaughter will love the soup, it'll be a fitting end to an exciting night for the little un's
Old 30-10-2007, 20:08   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Not if it done right ... pumpkin pie and whipped cream, mmmm. Pumpkin needs the addition of pumpkin spice if it is to taste right. Pumpkin pie rules, the only thing better is Saskatoon Pie!
It’s most likely I have never had pumpkin made the way it was intended to be, will have to brush up on my cooking skills for chance I’m missing out.

Old 30-10-2007, 20:11   #53

Thank goodness for the editing facility...have not a clue what i was posting just then
Old 30-10-2007, 20:56   #54
God Member

Quote:
Thank goodness for the editing facility...have not a clue what i was posting just then
This happens a lot with certain people
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 19:53   #55
Passed away 25-11-09

The pumpkin soup was a success and I made a pumpkin pie too. As I had made a lot of pastry I also made a gooseberry pie (loads in the freezer - I grow them). We are all F T B (full to bustin'). The pumpkin lantern is sitting on the bench in the front garden with 3 tea-lights inside it.

I had 7 different lots of trick-or-treaters, all accompanied by grown-ups, so I had to be scared stiff 7 times. The funniest visit was a tiny witch accompanied by 2 girls of about 12. They nudged her and said, "Say trick or treat", so she did then I asked her how old she was. She turned to her big sister and said, "How old are I?" Turns out she was "nearly free".
Old 31-10-2007, 19:58   #56

Quote:
The pumpkin soup was a success and I made a pumpkin pie too. As I had made a lot of pastry I also made a gooseberry pie (loads in the freezer - I grow them). We are all F T B (full to bustin'). The pumpkin lantern is sitting on the bench in the front garden with 3 tea-lights inside it.

I had 7 different lots of trick-or-treaters, all accompanied by grown-ups, so I had to be scared stiff 7 times. The funniest visit was a tiny witch accompanied by 2 girls of about 12. They nudged her and said, "Say trick or treat", so she did then I asked her how old she was. She turned to her big sister and said, "How old are I?" Turns out she was "nearly free".
Nice one, glad all your effort was worthwhile. How the heck do you grow gooseberries tho, I like them. They come from seeds or what? How mutch tending do they take?
Old 31-10-2007, 20:15   #57
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Nice one, glad all your effort was worthwhile. How the heck do you grow gooseberries tho, I like them. They come from seeds or what? How mutch tending do they take?

You buy a few gooseberry bushes from the Garden Centre, in Spring, plant them and they'll do the rest. I've only got 4 bushes, and they are in a quite shady area, but I get pounds of fruit every year. I prune them a little bit after I've picked the berries but otherwise I leave them to get on with it. One thing to beware of, they have very strong thorns so you have to be careful when you're picking.

Try growing them next year. There's nothing as good as home grown.
Old 31-10-2007, 20:17   #58

Quote:
You buy a few gooseberry bushes from the Garden Centre, in Spring, plant them and they'll do the rest. I've only got 4 bushes, and they are in a quite shady area, but I get pounds of fruit every year. I prune them a little bit after I've picked the berries but otherwise I leave them to get on with it. One thing to beware of, they have very strong thorns so you have to be careful when you're picking.

Try growing them next year. There's nothing as good as home grown.
I certainly will try them. Will let you know how they get on too..Thanks for that
Old 31-10-2007, 20:18   #59
Resident Waffler

I was out most of the evening up to now but apparently we've had some brave souls calling to claim their treats from our Aggie.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 20:33   #60
God Member

We've had about 7 rings on our doorbell but I stayed true to form and ignored them. I drew the curtains at 4.30pm and put the television on. I haven't been to the door all night.

I was branded a miserable old beggar at work when I admitted that I do this and my kids said the same when I refused to let them go trick or treating.

I'm quite happy for others to get on with it, as long as they don't try to include me. I just don't like Halloween and am glad when it's done with for another year.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..