Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 17:44   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: home made cow heal pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfashioned View Post
Maybe all of you should start to learn the English language & how to spell, before you try dangerous things like cooking with knives and flames?

or, try this, you might understand it better ...

maibe awll of u shud start to lurn the english langwage & how to spell,b4 u tri dangerouse things liyk cooking with knifes and flayms?

I see this is your first post on The Accrington Web Site, I do pray it will be your last numpty
Old 07-10-2011, 21:51   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
OK -failing that you could always look up the following cookbook in Accy library -as recommended in the Magazine article:
"Testicles: Balls in Cooking and Culture" by Blandine Vié - a curious Gallic combination of philosophy, history and humour that aims to "honour them and rehabilitate them into their rightful place at table".
Although i could think of a few people whos balls i'd like served on a plate, i'll pass on that one aswell

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:45   #48
Tex
Junior Member+

I still cook Black puddings the way my mum used to- boil them in in a pan as you buy them- with their skins on until they swell. Frying them kills the flavor IMO.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 22:51   #49
Tex
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Amazing how talk of food brings back the memories ... Oxtail soup, ham shank and peas, and steak and kidney pudding UBI SUNT!! Food is part ... and a very important part ... of any culture. The strongest sub-cultures in Canada are the ones that have "ethnic" foods: the Quebecois ,the Newfies with seal flipper pie (Don't try it, it's an aquired taste). Can't get black puddings, but there is Bloudin, a sort of Black Pudding from Quebec.
Ham shank and peas- i would love the recipe for this as my mum used to cook this for us every week. Also a recipe for sage and onion stuffing which i vaguely remember but never get the same taste to. I remember the oven came into the recipe after but have tried to get the same taste but never achieved it.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 00:09   #50

Made me hungry too......but my problem is......I.m so poor I have to regurgitate breakfast to eat my tea.......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:05   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I still cook Black puddings the way my mum used to- boil them in in a pan as you buy them- with their skins on until they swell. Frying them kills the flavor IMO.
Thanks Tex, you've just reminded me to take an haggis out of the freezer I'm having one for diner
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09   #52

As a child I was regularly served up tripe and chips for tea, and other meals included black pudding. It put me off for life and I haven't had any since!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:25   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
As a child I was regularly served up tripe and chips for tea, and other meals included black pudding. It put me off for life and I haven't had any since!
Black pudding Tripe and chips Michael, thats the stuff to put hairs on the chest
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00   #54
God Member

Don't mind a slice of black pudding myself in a fry up. The best i've ever had was when staying with a friend in Belfast -An Ulster Fry -they called it, that had a white as well as a black pudding and loads of other stuff too -a real cholesterol bomb but very tasty!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:05   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
Although i could think of a few people whos balls i'd like served on a plate, i'll pass on that one aswell
Well, in case you ever do get your hands on them:
Remove the external white membrane and you will find they are peachy-pink and have the texture of a fine paté when uncooked. The article advises slicing and frying in butter! Yummy?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 08-10-2011, 18:47   #56
Senior Member+

On holiday in Kenya, I asked in a restaurant for 'elephant's balls on toast'. ****** me - they had run out of bread.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:21   #57
God Member

when i rented a bedsit many years ago the landlady either took pitty on me or took a shine to me and used to bring me breakfast in the morning in a plastic bag usually considting of a few rashers of bacon,eggs,sausage and black pudding which i would cook myself.

occasionally she would waltz accross with either cowheel or tripe as an extra treat .So as not to offend and keep the good stuff coming i used to pretend i was saving it for later and dispose of it when i went out on my travels.No matter how much i tried to eat it just looking at it put me off lol

Even my grandpa use to try giving it to me when i was a kid assuring me it was good for me but once a fussy eater always a fussy eater lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 19:45   #58
Senior Member+

Shortly after we met my (future) wife invited me to dinner with her family. Her mother had cooked a special meal of tripe as she said I was so thin, I needed feeding up.
As I needed feeding up, she gave me an extra large portion! I'd never had it and didn't like the looks of it( I hated fat and this looked similar to raw fat ). They all sat waiting for me to approve- I cut off a small piece, put it in my mouth and was immediately sick all over the table!
Not a good first impression and I've never touched it since.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:03   #59
Senior Member+

boiled black puddings from a stall on burnley market are the best, they're only 70p

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:35   #60
God Member

I remember my Grandad used to love tripe cold with salt, pepper and vinegar.

I can't stand it.

Here in italy they cut it into thin strips and cook it in a sort of Minestrone soup -it's still disgusting!

One thing I did love - which mum used to get on the market, was Broth -she used to get the ready made mix and add Ham shank and then dumplings. Delicious -great on a cold winter's day.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..