Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2008, 22:08   #1

Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

I have an old B&W photograph of the Queen and a host of dignitaries outside the Dunkenhalgh. Her Majesty looks very young in the picture and the Lord Leiutenant looks remakably like Eric Morecambe. My Grandparents are also in the pic. I think it dates from the early to mid 1960s and I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about it.

Cheers

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2008, 22:09   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

can ya not put it on here?
Old 14-01-2008, 22:16   #3

Not tried posting pic on here yet but here goes.

Grandma is the one sitting and Grandad is the policeman nex to her.

Old 14-01-2008, 22:25   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well done, theres no real clue about the year, but yer grandad dont seem to have a walkie-talkie radio, an accy was the 1st to have em, think they came on scene around mid-60s so would guess before that, best i can do soz mate.
Old 14-01-2008, 22:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well done, theres no real clue about the year, but yer grandad dont seem to have a walkie-talkie radio, an accy was the 1st to have em, think they came on scene around mid-60s so would guess before that, best i can do soz mate.
You're right about the walkie talkies. I remeber him giving me a two large flags, one red and one green. These were apparently used to signal the Royal convoy (traffic control). My Grandad, in the shot appears to be a chief inspector so it would put the pic between 63 and 69. If as I suspect he is on ceremonial duty, he would be unlikely to have a radio. I get a feeling that this could be 65 or 66.
Old 14-01-2008, 22:38   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

if it was 60s as you think, my best guess would be 60-63, going off me walkie-talkie theory. thats n ordinary coppers uniform init? reason i say that,chief inspectors had flat caps surely?

Last edited by cashman; 14-01-2008 at 22:43.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 22:51   #7

I've got two options with the standing copper. Grandad was definately either inspector or chief inspector - that was the rank he transferred to Accy with from Westhoughton which was then in Lancs, so either the hat was ceremonial OR my grandad is eslewhere and the copper isn't Grandad and is just minding my gran. It's not impossible as I am relying on my old man for the ID. The reason I think it's later is that I was born in 62 but remember running around with the flags mentioned in my earlier post. I hope someone else picks up on this cause it would be great to get an accurate date.
Old 14-01-2008, 23:52   #8
Senior Member+

I would say that the Police Officer on the left is a Chief Inspector.......three pips on his shoulder.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 00:24   #9
Give, give, give member

Only a guess, but I'd say the Queen's outfit looks like Norman Hartnell circa 1967.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 02:22   #10
Senior Member+

The queen was born in 1926 and looks in her upper 20s on the photo which would make the photo the mid 50s but that,s only an observation. The mayor {I think** is stood behind her but his wife is quite clear. Anyone recognize her?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:25   #11
Senior Member+

you would think a royal visit as such would have been recorded in the obbie could it not have been around the same time as her visit in the fifties memory plays tricks

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:00   #12
Give, give, give member

Although the Queen never followed fashion, her hemlines did rise in the sixties. Though unlike Princess Anne she never went in for mini skirts.

In the photograph the coat dress is knee length, and I'd definitely say it was sometime after 1965, and most probably made by Sir Norman Hartnell.

I can't find any information about a visit that included the Dunkenhalgh, but have found some visits made to Bolton, starting in 1954. Sadly she isn't wearing the same outfit shown in the photograph here.

Judge for yourself.

Photo Order: Newsquest (Lancashire) Bolton News

Someone must know the actual date. Please help, it's starting to bug me now.

Old 15-01-2008, 17:46   #13

sorry no as i wasnt born in the 60s lol
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 19:58   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancscat View Post
sorry no as i wasnt born in the 60s lol
I wasn't around in the 1860's, but still I know Queen Victoria was widowed in 1861.

Old 15-01-2008, 21:04   #15

After doing a bit of searching I've found out that the Queen & Duke of Edinburgh did a Tour of Lancashire in April 1955.

There was an old newspaper for sale on Ebay showing the queen in Southport in April 1955.

QUEEN VISITS SOUTHPORT APRIL 14 1955 NEWSPAPER on eBay, also Vintage 1920-1980, Newspapers, Paper Ephemera, Collectables (end time 19-Dec-07 12:58:59 GMT)

I also found this -

Film no: 127 LANCS ACCLAIM QUEEN AND DUKE 1955
Producer: British Paramount News
b/w - sound - 35mm - 5m 24s

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive at Morecambe by train and go on to visit Lancaster, Preston, Hutton where there is a police display, Southport, Burnley, Darwen, Blackburn where they visit an electronic components factory, Nelson where they visit a cotton mill, Blackpool where they attend a gala performance at the Opera House and meet the stars.

Source - Intute: Arts and Humanities - nwfa

Way before my time but hope it helps.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..