Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2008, 19:47   #31
God Member

Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Getting a precise date would be brilliant though
Nothing on the Burnley Express website. Nothing obvious on t'internet but did find this on a train site.

16/05/1968 D233+D216 The Royal Train from Burnley Central to ? Seen at Manchester Vic on Royal train
16/05/1968 D233+D216 The Royal Train from Burnley Central to ?

1960`S

Next time I'm in Burnley I'll look in Burnley Library at the old papers round that date. Alternatively an e-mail to the Burnley Express might help you out.
Old 16-01-2008, 19:57   #32
Give, give, give member

I am so happy that my years spent studying Royal hemlines proved fruitful.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 20:07   #33
God Member

I wonder if it was the same day that they visited the Mid Pennine Gallery and The Mechanics that had just reopened? We had a picture of her visiting the gallery in our 40th year anniversary exhibition two years ago.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 20:20   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I am so happy that my years spent studying Royal hemlines proved fruitful.
Ok Ok ! Clever Git .. any woman of my tender years could have told you that ! Was def. early 60's before I raised my hem line to below the knee.... She does look lovely though, doesn't she. Her hat puts the others to shame.

Got a new rep. at work this week staying at the Dunk .. instructed him to ask .. bet he forgets though !! If he does, will pop in myself on the way home from work.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 20:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Nothing on the Burnley Express website. Nothing obvious on t'internet but did find this on a train site.

16/05/1968 D233+D216 The Royal Train from Burnley Central to ? Seen at Manchester Vic on Royal train
16/05/1968 D233+D216 The Royal Train from Burnley Central to ?

1960`S

Next time I'm in Burnley I'll look in Burnley Library at the old papers round that date. Alternatively an e-mail to the Burnley Express might help you out.
Wow, The things people keep records of . 16th May puts this a month prior to my 6th B'day. Looking at the picture, the amount of foliage on the background trees and the fact that coats are the order of the day, it looks pretty damn good as the likely date - cheers for that, I would never have thought of scouring a trainspotters listing although I did see The Queen getting of the Royal Train in Clitheroe in the 90's.

To keep the thread alive does anyone else have an interesting old pic for the "Time Team"" to investigate?
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 21:42   #36

The visit was in the year that Stuart Mercer was chairman of Clayton-le-Moors UDC. I will try to find out tomorrow which year that was. Unfotunately you can not see Stuart as he was behind the Queen in the picture.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 09:05   #37
God Member

I'd say 1968 sounds about right, I was at All Saints primary school in Clayton and I remember we were all taken out of school and walked en-mass along the 'ash pad' to Blackburn Road to wait for the Queen passing in her limo, we were all given little union jack flags to wave - I don't remember where she was going but if the photo was taken at the Dunkenhalgh that would fit in
AccyMad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 19:59   #38
Passed away 25-11-09

I'd say mid 60s from the clothes they are wearing - being pretty much what I was wearing myself at that time. I was living in North Yorkshire then so I have no idea if the queen visited here or not.

I do remember her visiting the area in about 1954, part of the "Coronation Progress" where she and Philip covered most of the country. The motorcade went down Blackburn Rd. in West End, past our house. It was lunchtime and our next-door neighbours' son was home from Howard & Bulloughs for his dinner. The old man, his dad who they still called Yank, who had bummed and worked across America for 20 years at the turn of the 20th century and came back with the Canadian Marines in WW1, stood like a ramrod as the queen went past and gave her the smartest salute you ever saw. Tom the son, local cricket hero, stood with his hands in the pockets of his boiler-suit and gave her a nod and a cheerful wink.
Old 21-01-2008, 05:41   #39

Dad sent me a copy of Memories of Clayton-Le-Moors, last week and there is a photo of the Queens visit in there and refers to it as Thursday 16th May 1968, she paid a brief visit to the Dunkenhalgh, as part of her ' Operation Springclean' tour of Lancashire, workers were given the afternoon off to join thousands who lined the streets of Rishton and Clayton , While Accrington spectators watched the royal train pass over the aqueduct on its way to Burnley.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 08:56   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Dad sent me a copy of Memories of Clayton-Le-Moors, last week and there is a photo of the Queens visit in there and refers to it as Thursday 16th May 1968, she paid a brief visit to the Dunkenhalgh, as part of her ' Operation Springclean' tour of Lancashire, workers were given the afternoon off to join thousands who lined the streets of Rishton and Clayton , While Accrington spectators watched the royal train pass over the aqueduct on its way to Burnley.
Well done Alan .. had the answer meself all the time .. have this book, but forgot about that photo. Seems to have been taken just about the same minute as MTB's, but a close up. Said she was accompanied by Lord and Lady Derby. Have no scanner so can't post it.

Our members had also deduced the date through various means .. ace !

Last edited by katex; 21-01-2008 at 08:59.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 09:55   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nice one Al its been bugging a few of us that un. moved to bolton will be well pleased.
Old 21-01-2008, 20:47   #42

That's brilliant - thanks to everyone. I've looked at that picture so many times and wanted to know just when it was taken. Thankfully I happened upon this great site and I'm grateful to all of you.
If you don't mind I'll stick around a while - with some good, like minded types.

Cheers

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 19:56   #43

Hello all. I'm a Mancunian living down here in Bristol and I've stumbled across the forum on a bit of a mission.
My dad (Bob Hebden) was a train driver before he retired and my mum sent me the following email:

"On May 16th 1968, it was a Thursday. dad was driving the Royal Train going from Stalybridge to Darwen, going via manchester victoria with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip on |board. It was double headed by 2 x class 40s nos D233 and D216. I wonder if there was any photographs taken because it was going slow through victoria because i was there and waved as it went through. It would be a big surprise if you could find a picture with dad on it or even of it."

This appears to be the train this thread is concerned with - now you even know who the driver was!! If anyone has photo I know my folks would be absolutely delighted.
looper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 21:12   #44
God Member

The year was 1954....I was 15 at the time and working for George Feathers on Accrington Market...I sat on the window frame of the market hall to get a better view along with a lad called Tom Haworth who also worked for George.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 10:00   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The year was 1954....I was 15 at the time and working for George Feathers on Accrington Market...I sat on the window frame of the market hall to get a better view along with a lad called Tom Haworth who also worked for George.
I remeber that visit as well Roy, I was about 7 at the time and the Queen came by car along Blackburn Road, I went with my Grandma and we were on the pavement outside a Plumbers shop, near the top of Henry Street, cant remember the name of the Plumber buy I think his first name was Jack

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..