Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2008, 21:12   #16
God Member

Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

Even Google is struggling with this one.

There is a slight possibility that it may have been 1968. There was apparently a Royal Visit to Burnley according to Sam Hanna's site, yet as with this one I can't find anything about it, or even if it was the Queen that was on duty.
Old 15-01-2008, 21:12   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Only a guess, but I'd say the Queen's outfit looks like Norman Hartnell circa 1967.
what confuses me a little with that,is the P.C. does not have a walkie-talkie, and know for fact that Accy police got em in early 60s - 63/64 at a guess.
Old 15-01-2008, 21:16   #18

Thanks for all the replies and your thoughts on this. I am going to talk to my Mum about this again, I'm sure she can recall a bit more. One thing I have established is that my Grandma was quite ill at this venue, suffering from a illness that eventually saw her demise in 1970. The 50's therefore is way to early.
Mum and Stepdad had a bereavement today so I'll leave it a while before enquiring further. I'll post again on this thread as and when I get more. In the meantime if anyone stumbles across more info -please post

Cheers

Ian
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 21:22   #19

Lancsdaves post rings a bell. I remember being told that the Red and Green traffic control flags I mentioned earlier in the thread were used between the Load of Mischeif (remeber that location) and the crest at top of Burnley Road en route to Altham. You might be onto something ... My other set of Grandparents lived on Burnley Rd opposite a grocers, "Andrews" as I recall.

Ian
Old 15-01-2008, 22:22   #20

I can vaguely remember the Queen visiting somewhere near accy in the late 60's or 1970. I was at St Andrew's (accy) at the time and was surprised at the fuss that the teacher made of the event. ( I thought that the Queen probably visited Accy a lot as I had no idea about distances, geography, size of Uk etc) I'm sure it was after the Prince of Wales' investiture at caernarvon if that helps to fix a date.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 22:56   #21
Give, give, give member

Like Lancsdave, I found that H.R.H came to the area in 1968, which would fit in with my hem-line theory, and mean I didn't waste five years at art school, three of which were spent studying fashion.

As for the walkie-talkey, would someone have worn one with their best uniform?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 23:06   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Like Lancsdave, I found that H.R.H came to the area in 1968, which would fit in with my hem-line theory, and mean I didn't waste five years at art school, three of which were spent studying fashion.

As for the walkie-talkey, would someone have worn one with their best uniform?
not really sure, thought improved security would win that one for a Head Of State?
Old 15-01-2008, 23:51   #23
Give, give, give member

The man behind the Queen looks like Edward Stanley, the 18th Earl of Derby, and Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire from 1951-1968.

Lord Derby's photograph is on this link.

http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/photos/village/kn69.jpg

Last edited by garinda; 15-01-2008 at 23:53.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 01:33   #24
God Member

Just where was the 'Dunk' situated in those days , was it in Clayton, Rishton , or even Church . I'm thinking the visit was back in the days of the old Urban District Councils , when Accrington was "foriegn parts" , before the days of Hyndburn , so the local dignitaries wearing the chains would be the local UDC chairman and his lady . So I suppose any local councillor (who uses Accy Web from those areas) with a sense of local history should be able to recognize and tell us who was in attendance and what years the Chairman served.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 08:21   #25
Beacon of light

The Dunkenhalgh has always been situated in Clayton le moors.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 12:28   #26
Full Member+

This thread does ring a bell. I vaguely remember being at the Load Of Mischief with a Union Jack to wave at the Queens car as she drove past. I think we were dragged out of school for the occassion abd I was at St Mary Magdelens, so it would be about 1967-69. I was pretty unimpressed at the time!
Old 16-01-2008, 14:15   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I can remember a visit Prince Phillip made to the area in the early 60's, he arrived by helicopter on the running track at Witton Park Blackburn.

Loads of us went from various schools to watch him land, I seem to remember we were more interested in the helicopter than the prince because it was the first time we'd seen one close up!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 19:25   #28

Well, I have been in Accrington today and I had a chat with my Mum, I think discussing this piccy took her mind of the impending funeral!
She appears to have tied it down to 1968 as she claims I was 6 at the time. A little more info is that the Queen is carrying a small posy which had just been presented by the daughter of the then owner of the Dunkenhalgh. She can't remember her first name but the family name was Burrill or Burrell. This family also owned Mitton Hall in Whalley and were friends of my Grandparents. As suspected, the Queen didn't actually visit Accrington but merely stopped off at the Dunk on her way to the real venue, possibly Burnley (perhaps she needed the loo )

So I suppose between us, with thought and ideas from everyone contibuting, the mystery is all but solved. Getting a precise date would be brilliant though
Old 16-01-2008, 19:40   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The man behind the Queen looks like Edward Stanley, the 18th Earl of Derby, and Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire from 1951-1968.

Lord Derby's photograph is on this link.

http://history.knowsley.gov.uk/photos/village/kn69.jpg
well if anyone can identify the guy garinda names ya got the year (68) probably.
Old 16-01-2008, 19:46   #30
Beacon of light

The family who owned the Dunk at the time were definitely called Burrell....and I vaguely remember something around the summer of 68.....my daughter would be about 3 months old i think...so perhaps Mid June early July would be possible.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..