Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2008, 10:25   #46
God Member

Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remeber that visit as well Roy, I was about 7 at the time and the Queen came by car along Blackburn Road.
I bet she would have a hell of a shock if took the same route today.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2008, 15:56   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I bet she would have a hell of a shock if took the same route today.
More than a shock Roy, she'd probably think she'd been wisked of to street market in the Far East
Old 04-11-2009, 22:50   #48

I remember the visit by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in 1955 - I was six years old and a pupil at Hippings Methodist School in Oswaldtwistle (old site at top of Chapel Street). We walked in a crocodile over White Ash to West End, near the NEL Dairy. We all had little Union Jacks to wave and just caught a fleeting glimpse of the royal couple as they sailed past in their limousine.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 19:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Well, I have been in Accrington today and I had a chat with my Mum, I think discussing this piccy took her mind of the impending funeral!
She appears to have tied it down to 1968 as she claims I was 6 at the time. A little more info is that the Queen is carrying a small posy which had just been presented by the daughter of the then owner of the Dunkenhalgh. She can't remember her first name but the family name was Burrill or Burrell. This family also owned Mitton Hall in Whalley and were friends of my Grandparents.
Just read your thread from way back.The owner was Mrs Burrill,my nana and grandad used to work for her at Mitton Hall and sometimes at the Dunk.Head gardener and housekeeper.They were all good friends.My grandad took a cine film of the royal visit from inside the Dunk upstairs.
jendaw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 16:40   #50
Junior Member+

I remember a royal visit in the early to mid 1960's. My brother was a policeman in Burnley at the time and I seem to remember that the Queen had morning coffee at the Dunkenhalgh and lunch at the Kierby hotel in Burnley.
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 17:22   #51

Wink Re: Does anyone remember a Royal Visit in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendaw66 View Post
Just read your thread from way back.The owner was Mrs Burrill,my nana and grandad used to work for her at Mitton Hall and sometimes at the Dunk.Head gardener and housekeeper.They were all good friends.My grandad took a cine film of the royal visit from inside the Dunk upstairs.
Hello Im Stewart son of the Burrills. We were at The Dunkenhalgh From63 to 84.Re Photo the small girl is my Sister Jennifer. standing behind her is her then Nanny Mrs Taylor who lived on Dill Hall Lane. The Dates are correct May 68. The Queen had priviously visited Richmond terrace in Blackburn. and then went on to Burnley.P.s my Mother is at the back of the picture in the big hat.
Dunk Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 21:26   #52
Senior Member+

Have just spotted this thread., cannot believe I have missed it for so long.Fior anything on Royal Visits, read Helen Barrett's essay in Aspects of Accrington, edited by Susan Halstead & Cath Duckworth. She confirms it was 16th May 1968 when the Queen visited the Dunk as part of her tour of Lancashsire in connection witb 'IOpewratiion Springclean', a campaign to clean up smoke-blackenend public buildings. Lord & Lady Derby accompanied the Queen, who was introduced to Arthur Wilson, chairman of Clayton UDC. She signed Clayton's Distinguished Visitors' Book. In the photo is seen Bill Palfrey, the Chief Constable of Lancashsire,who was the last a Chief Constable of Accrington (1947). I don't recognise the Chief Inspector, a man of diminutive stature ( 'a short arse) but would like to know his name. I don't know the PC's name . He would likely be stationed in Accrington division, though not necessarily in Clayton His white cotton gloves look to be in pristine condition and his boots would be bulled up. He looks like a bobby.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 21:43   #53

Hi Stewart(Dunk kid) My nana always talked about your mum and your sister,she loved working for her.You must be younger than your sister then.?
jendaw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 05:15   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
. She signed Clayton's Distinguished Visitors' Book. .
Be interesting to know where this book is .......anyone any idea
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 08:39   #55
Senior Member+

'Aspects of Accrington' is probably on sale in the library, the Town Hall, or Ann Parkin's bookshop at the bottom of Burnley Rd.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 23:30   #56

Hi Stewart, did your family have anything yo do with Mitton Hall.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 00:01   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
'Aspects of Accrington' is probably on sale in the library, the Town Hall, or Ann Parkin's bookshop at the bottom of Burnley Rd.
Sorry Bob think we have our wires crossed , I was wondering about the location of " Clayton's Distinguished Visitors' Book." which the Queen signed

in fact , be interesting to know the location of the historical records and memorbilia, (Chairmans chains etc.) of all the various UDCs that disappeared when Hyndburn was created
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:42   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry Bob think we have our wires crossed , I was wondering about the location of " Clayton's Distinguished Visitors' Book." which the Queen signed

in fact , be interesting to know the location of the historical records and memorbilia, (Chairmans chains etc.) of all the various UDCs that disappeared when Hyndburn was created
The chains from the former UDCs are in the Council Chamber in the Town Hall in Accrington. The other memorbilia, I'm not sure.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 08:53   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Kid View Post
Hello Im Stewart son of the Burrills. We were at The Dunkenhalgh From63 to 84.Re Photo the small girl is my Sister Jennifer. standing behind her is her then Nanny Mrs Taylor who lived on Dill Hall Lane. The Dates are correct May 68. The Queen had priviously visited Richmond terrace in Blackburn. and then went on to Burnley.P.s my Mother is at the back of the picture in the big hat.
Hi Stewart, had some heady times at Mitton Hall in the days of Martholme Grange, and your exotic fruits business
Old 21-06-2011, 15:38   #60
God Member

Did any of you lot see the Queen when she visited Accy, in cognito, about two years ago? She'd been staying with the Duke of Westminister up at his place in Abberystead and they went for a drive through Clitheroe and into Accy. Apparently she went to get a few T shirts from a print shop in the town centre but she didn't have her purse with her and the boss kicked her out and told her to stop wasting time.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..