Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 14:55   #31
God Member

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'll try to explain it better.

Example - Junior Classes - there are 5 Junior Classes but children only do 4 Junior years. There are up to 40 children in any year group but a maximum of 30 in any class.

So when they move up from infants to juniors they could go into Junior1 or Junior 2. The 10 oldest or brightest go into Junior 2 leaving 30 in Junior 1. Each child will do four years in Juniors so for example Maddie, who's birthday is in October is one of the oldest, headed into Junior 2 so she'll do classes 2, 3, 4, and 5. She's now in 3.

Her friend is actually in the year group ahead of her but her birthday is in August so she's one of the youngest in her year group. She is now in the same class because she did Junior 1, 2 and is now in 3 with Maddie.

I probably still haven't explained it very well but what it means is that children are working with children of similar abilities. If you think about it, a year is a long time in the development of a child and someone born on September 1st can have a whole year of development ahead of someone born on the following August 31st. Because of the system at St Mary's the maximum age gap between the oldest and youngest in a class is around 8 months and not a full year and it can cross over a year group.

No, probably still haven't explained it well but it works, thinking back I remember it - just wondered if anyone else did as it is unusual.
I see what you mean now. Thanks, Gayle.
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2008, 21:38   #32
Super Moderator

I remember the large railway marshalling yard and engine shed full of steam engines down Charter Street. I lived near the place and I spent many a happy hour sneaking round the sidings. I was probably lucky to escape a good ticking off from the cops or, even worse, being killed.
Old 07-09-2008, 21:56   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I remember the large railway marshalling yard and engine shed full of steam engines down Charter Street. I lived near the place and I spent many a happy hour sneaking round the sidings. I was probably lucky to escape a good ticking off from the cops or, even worse, being killed.
yep think there was hut type building belonging to "Lang Bridges" at the top end of the charter st wall we all used to run down.
Old 07-09-2008, 22:02   #34
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I remember the steam trains and the old railway station which used to have buildings, waiting rooms and fireplaces with real fires. There was a railway line up to Manchester in those days too. I used to be scared of the steam trains. I thought they were dragons.
I travelled on that Manchester line daily, from 1959 to 1963, as I worked in Bury.

I loved steam engines (still do) but perhaps it's "in the blood". My maternal grandfather was Station Master at Church and Oswaldtwistle from 1912 to 1928 (and before that, at Rochdale. My mum was born in the station house there in 1909) and, in his family, I had an uncle and a cousin who were railway engineers and another uncle who was a guard.
Old 07-09-2008, 22:03   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep think there was hut type building belonging to "Lang Bridges" at the top end of the charter st wall we all used to run down.
Yeah, I know the one you mean...think it was some sort of sports and social club. Seem to remember there was a billiards/snooker table in it.
Old 07-09-2008, 22:07   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i love em as well west ender, who besides cashy used to get a platform ticket at accy station n go to preston trainspotting, was great if ya never left preston station, did it dozens of times, a great day out fer a lad.
Old 07-09-2008, 22:11   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i love em as well west ender, who besides cashy used to get a platform ticket at accy station n go to preston trainspotting, was great if ya never left preston station, did it dozens of times, a great day out fer a lad.
Yep, did the same myself. Only problem was sometimes you had to dodge the railway cops on the prowl at Preston station by nipping into the Gents!
Old 07-09-2008, 22:19   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yep, did the same myself. Only problem was sometimes you had to dodge the railway cops on the prowl at Preston station by nipping into the Gents!
ah never had much trouble wi them, musta been on the ball a couple of yrs later when your crew were at it.
Old 07-09-2008, 22:26   #39
God Member

Quote:
Think you may have met Ianto much earlier than you think. He lived just down the road from you
Old 08-09-2008, 04:34   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ossy is fine mate and just about far enough from Darwen
you can never be far enough from darwen

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:04   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Think you may have met Ianto much earlier than you think. He lived just down the road from you
Doubt I met him. He was probably one of those older lads with ice blue drainpipe jeans, winklepickers and Elvis-type quiffs, who us kids were somewhat in awe of!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:15   #42
Resting in Peace

Then of course Stanley were still playing at Peel Park in those days, remember working for the firm that actually dismantled the old wooden stand, what a sad time that was, watching Stanley's history go up in flames. In those days there was no Wollies on Broadway, just gadens and the Odean Cinema, remember going to my Aunts wedding reception which was held in the Odean complex. Remember Fred Vandom at St. Mary's and of course as MD of St Mary's Amateur Operatic Society, who's first production was HMS Pinafore in 1961, followed by the Gondolers then the Pirates of Penzanse.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember when accy used to be a great place to shop
I miss the outdoor market, it was better than the one they have today!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03   #44
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post

I loved steam engines (still do) but perhaps it's "in the blood". My maternal grandfather was Station Master at Church and Oswaldtwistle from 1912 to 1928 (and before that, at Rochdale. My mum was born in the station house there in 1909) and, in his family, I had an uncle and a cousin who were railway engineers and another uncle who was a guard.
Well there's a coincidence. My maternal grandfather was a stationmaster too! And his father before him. My Granddad was born in Railway Cottage at Mildenhall.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 15:41   #45
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well there's a coincidence. My maternal grandfather was a stationmaster too! And his father before him. My Granddad was born in Railway Cottage at Mildenhall.

No continuity before my grandfather, Willow. His father was a bank manager and his elder brother was a solicitor. When my "rebel" granddad joined the railway (as a booking clerk but he had to wear the LMS uniform) he was not allowed to use the front door when he came home from work but had to go round the back to the servants' entrance as they were ashamed of him.

Incidentally the family lived, and my granddad was born in 1867, on King St. in Blackburn. Along with Montague St it was a very posh area then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..