Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2009, 06:02   #166
God Member

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
down the bottom of aurthur st
we used to go to the youth club dances there early 60s
Yeh ... that's where it was, or is. My mom was a member of that church ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2009, 06:09   #167
God Member

Just pinged Arthur St. on Google Earth .... I see the Rec is still there .... lived for a while on Queen St. before my mom and dad split up ... and my gran lived on Victoria St. I see that the cobblestone streets are gone; what a surprise, eh.
Old 21-08-2009, 09:38   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just pinged Arthur St. on Google Earth .... I see the Rec is still there .... lived for a while on Queen St. before my mom and dad split up ... and my gran lived on Victoria St. I see that the cobblestone streets are gone; what a surprise, eh.
Cobbled Streets gone, Bloody hell Eric you have been gone a long time
Old 21-08-2009, 14:43   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Cobbled Streets gone, Bloody hell Eric you have been gone a long time
Still plenty around Jaysay as per Chapel Street in Clayton, which Eric will remember:

Chapel Street 002.jpg

Did see an L.C.C. notice that it will be closed to allow highway maintenance to be carried out ... 31st August >> 21st September. Can't see it just being weed removal ... possibly re-surfacing ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 16:16   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Still plenty around Jaysay as per Chapel Street in Clayton, which Eric will remember:

Attachment 14431

Did see an L.C.C. notice that it will be closed to allow highway maintenance to be carried out ... 31st August >> 21st September. Can't see it just being weed removal ... possibly re-surfacing ?
Can't think there is any in Ossy kate, Chapel St. Clayton I thought that was an unadopted road, its a one sided street If I remember rightly, facing some allotments or fields, not sure, have a friend who lives on there
Old 21-08-2009, 17:04   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Attachment 14431

I remember Chapel Street .... right in the old 'hood .... I really do believe that at least one street should be left with the old cobblestones ... it really does have some historical value .... maybe declare it a local heritage site, or something like that ... leave it as sort of an outdoor museum exhibit ... it's not like Chapel St. is a main drag (translation available if needed) ... maybe one of the local councilors could look into it.
Old 22-08-2009, 06:37   #172

A mate of my brothers lived in Chapel St, Kieth Topham. Alaso I used to go to the youth club, a copper called John Garner used to run it, local groups played on a friday night, the Scorchers and Tredwheels & so on, with Roy Taylor,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 09:59   #173
Resting in Peace

I've just been thinking about cobbled streets, I can't remember as I ain't been down for a while, but is the Straits in Ossy cobbled or is it tarmacked now, bet Gayle knows
Old 22-08-2009, 10:13   #174
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
A mate of my brothers lived in Chapel St, Kieth Topham. Alaso I used to go to the youth club, a copper called John Garner used to run it, local groups played on a friday night, the Scorchers and Tredwheels & so on, with Roy Taylor,
Remember Keith Topham, Alan. My in-laws lived on Chapel Street for years ... think was the third one up. Father-in-law had Ellison Fold Garage behind Chapel Street. They then moved across the road into the sheltered accommodation there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 10:16   #175
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
worked wi Roy fer 23 yrs, still about, lives up bash, bumped into him at burnley mechanics couple of yrs back,
Old 23-08-2009, 01:28   #176

My sister Patsy clough formerly Mckenna worked at moscow mill for ages and our entire family went to good old st marys. Patsy, Colin, Tommy, Joe and Sharon. We lived in one of the cottages in fielding lane close by pothouse lane. Remember picnics at (cocolumb) brook.Haven't a clue how to spell that! Was a fabulous place to be kids, open countryside and freedom to wander. Shame it is all built up these days.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 01:40   #177

Nor did we, we had a loo in back yard. Good old days eh!
Old 23-08-2009, 01:44   #178

Remember the club well, we thought it was the biz at the time.
Old 23-08-2009, 01:53   #179

remember Morice Hindle well, creepy guy always brushed too close if you were waiting at the bus stop.
Old 23-08-2009, 02:05   #180

When we were kids in Ossy we thought the winters were ace, some mornings the snow drifts would cover the cottage windows. We would have icicles on the inside of the windows. Don't think i could cope with that now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..