Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2009, 18:40   #196
Junior Member+

Re: Who Remembers.......

It wasn't a fight we all ran away. They came in an old tranny van from Blackburn the end of the teddy boy era !!!
Rycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2009, 06:20   #197

Keith Topham now lives in Langho, Kate, Stayed at there place when I was over a coulple of years ago, they took me to Billington Band club on a Saturday night it was a great night, first time been in there, for 40 yrs.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:13   #198
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycroft View Post
It wasn't a fight we all ran away. They came in an old tranny van from Blackburn the end of the teddy boy era !!!
Don't remember that at all Rycroft, must have been on the one night I missed
Old 03-10-2009, 20:42   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Remember Keith Topham, Alan. My in-laws lived on Chapel Street for years ... think was the third one up. Father-in-law had Ellison Fold Garage behind Chapel Street. They then moved across the road into the sheltered accommodation there.

I remember Mr Birtles and son Malcolm at Ellison Fold Garage behind The Forts Arms. I lived in Grange Street at the time and Daniel Street and Moor Street and lots of other side streets were cobbled in those days.

The other name for the cobble stones is "sets" and they are using some now to place around the renovated Peel memorial on the top of the Coppice in Accy. It was nice to see so many people at the commemorative ceremony on 26th September. Maybe the pathwork renovation there will encourage more people (other than us regular dog-walkers) to enjoy the varied countryside of the Coppice.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18   #200

Slight change of direction. Does anyone remember G & M builders (I think that was the name) back in the 70's when all the grant work was being done.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43   #201
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Remember Keith Topham, Alan. My in-laws lived on Chapel Street for years ... think was the third one up. Father-in-law had Ellison Fold Garage behind Chapel Street. They then moved across the road into the sheltered accommodation there.
Would Keith Topham's father have been Clarence Topham well known in Clayton
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26   #202
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the name of the chap was Dougie Mitchell ex miner i to worked with him at
shop fitters and drank many a pint with him
he challenged the dray horse to adrinking session in the pop club
dougie warmed up first with a few quick pints
alas came the time for the challenge it was a case of
you can lead a horse to water ..or beer.. but you cant make it drink

only one winner Big Dougie..sadly no loger with us
Think I remember Dougie, Used to work with him at Huncoat pit on the old coal face and in development. Nice guy and a good drinker. Last time I had a drink with him was in the Pop club about 1967.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 18:35   #203
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Slight change of direction. Does anyone remember G & M builders (I think that was the name) back in the 70's when all the grant work was being done.
Gudgeon and Mclean, Jimmy Gudgeon and Jim Mclean, both worked at shopfitters before setting up on their own Jim Mac still lives in Ossy behind Rhyddings Park
Old 03-11-2011, 21:05   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Gudgeon and Mclean, Jimmy Gudgeon and Jim Mclean, both worked at shopfitters before setting up on their own Jim Mac still lives in Ossy behind Rhyddings Park
Still doing the same thing?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58   #205
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
Still doing the same thing?
Na don't know where Jimmy Gudgeon is and Jim Mclean will be about 69 or 70, I was his happyrentice when I first left school and worked at Townley's in Manor Street, went to his 21st at the Queens pub in Church
Old 14-11-2011, 03:51   #206
Mog

Quote:
Na don't know where Jimmy Gudgeon is and Jim Mclean will be about 69 or 70, I was his happyrentice when I first left school and worked at Townley's in Manor Street, went to his 21st at the Queens pub in Church
Jimmy Gudgeon used to live on Crown street. He is about 67 now. I am told he lives near the town center somewhere. Been told he is writing a book about the history of Accy. Dont know if thats true or not.
Old 14-11-2011, 04:08   #207
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yes, I remember him, poor guy. My mum told me that he had been injured in an industrial accident at Bulloughs, but whether that was just hearsay or not, I don't know.
I remember this chap. He used to work at Bulloughs. He used to walk past our house on Crown Street heading towards Willows lane. As soon as he spotted someone he covered up with a hankie.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:38   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Jimmy Gudgeon used to live on Crown street. He is about 67 now. I am told he lives near the town center somewhere. Been told he is writing a book about the history of Accy. Dont know if thats true or not.
Is it the same one Mog, his wife (in those days) was called Maureen
Old 14-11-2011, 10:04   #209
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Is it the same one Mog, his wife (in those days) was called Maureen
Mog trying to get in touch
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 04:26   #210

Yea thats him Claytonx, hes been dead for years though.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..