Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2009, 09:48   #181
Resting in Peace

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazfury1 View Post
My sister Patsy clough formerly Mckenna worked at moscow mill for ages and our entire family went to good old st Marys. Patsy, Colin, Tommy, Joe and Sharon. We lived in one of the cottages in fielding lane close by pothouse lane. Remember picnics at (cocolumb) brook.Haven't a clue how to spell that! Was a fabulous place to be kids, open countryside and freedom to wander. Shame it is all built up these days.
Not a terrible lot of building in that neck of the woods, Cocker Lumb was very much the same the last time I ventured in that area, still plenty of open spaces all around Ossy
Old 23-08-2009, 10:12   #182
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember Chapel Street .... right in the old 'hood .... I really do believe that at least one street should be left with the old cobblestones ... it really does have some historical value .... maybe declare it a local heritage site, or something like that ... leave it as sort of an outdoor museum exhibit ... it's not like Chapel St. is a main drag (translation available if needed) ... maybe one of the local councilors could look into it.
Have been taking a quick look around, and Jaysay is correct ... there are not too many cobbled streets left ... just seem to be the ones that come to a dead end (no through traffic) e.g. Corn Mill Yard off Whalley Road. Of course, nearly all the back streets are still cobbled.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 07:29   #183
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've just been thinking about cobbled streets, I can't remember as I ain't been down for a while, but is the Straits in Ossy cobbled or is it tarmacked now, bet Gayle knows
Still cobbled Jaysay ... noticed it yesterday.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:29   #184
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Still cobbled Jaysay ... noticed it yesterday.
Thanks kate, can always remember it being cobbled, because my Dad had a garage at the bottom of the Straits next to the Nash Club, and the bone shaking ride I endured getting the car out for work
Old 26-08-2009, 10:46   #185
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

is rowland st accy still cobbled?
Old 26-08-2009, 17:28   #186
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
is rowland st accy still cobbled?
Don't know ... but the bottom of Clarence St. by the inner harbour is still cobbled ... and there are a couple of nice pubs down there (the Pilot House and the Prince George) that even you haven't been turfed out of
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 22:23   #187
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't know ... but the bottom of Clarence St. by the inner harbour is still cobbled ... and there are a couple of nice pubs down there (the Pilot House and the Prince George) that even you haven't been turfed out of
thats only cos me late missus backed out of emigrating to canada in mid 70s mate.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:48   #188
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats only cos me late missus backed out of emigrating to canada in mid 70s mate.
You missed out big time bud ... imagine a pub crawl over six time zones from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic ... and all points in between .... this thread is about "remembering"; so, I remember, vaguely, riding a horse into the bar at the Paris Hotel in Mankota Sask., (pop. 387) I got tossed out on my ass, but the horse stayed in the bar and drank a few gallons of beer. Only in Canada, eh; love this country
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:15   #189
Resting in Peace

Taking about a horse drinking in a pub, I worked with a guy at Shopfitters called Doug (can't remember his last name) challenged a Thwaites dray horse to a drinking bout, think it was in the (or outside) the Britannia on Nuttall Street in the early 70s, problem is can't remember who won
Old 27-08-2009, 12:19   #190
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Taking about a horse drinking in a pub, I worked with a guy at Shopfitters called Doug (can't remember his last name) challenged a Thwaites dray horse to a drinking bout, think it was in the (or outside) the Britannia on Nuttall Street in the early 70s, problem is can't remember who won
the name of the chap was Dougie Mitchell ex miner i to worked with him at
shop fitters and drank many a pint with him
he challenged the dray horse to adrinking session in the pop club
dougie warmed up first with a few quick pints
alas came the time for the challenge it was a case of
you can lead a horse to water ..or beer.. but you cant make it drink

only one winner Big Dougie..sadly no loger with us

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:13   #191
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the name of the chap was Dougie Mitchell ex miner i to worked with him at
shop fitters and drank many a pint with him
he challenged the dray horse to a drinking session in the pop club
dougie warmed up first with a few quick pints
alas came the time for the challenge it was a case of
you can lead a horse to water ..or beer.. but you cant make it drink

only one winner Big Dougie..sadly no longer with us
Thanks for that beechy couldn't remember Dougies last name, the reason I said the Britannia, is I think he used to go in there sometimes. Didn't know he was no longer here
Old 22-09-2009, 19:12   #192
Junior Member+

Well just read through all of this thread and Mr Vandome stood out, always a well dressed Headmaster. Fred Atkinson used to be the Engineer at the Mill just up coal pit lane, his daughter was Jean ??. Anyone remember St Mary's Youth Club Dance on Havelock Street on a Saturday Night or it may have been Fridays. When a gang came over from Blackburn all with hob nail boots on with words like " Death" etc painted on the toe caps. If I remember correctly every one legged it quick like.
Fishy Flynn used to park his fish truck in the big shed in Mrs Gillions back garden the truck was a Blue Thames if I remember correctly, and Mrs Gillion was a great strawberry grower!!
Rycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 09:17   #193
Resting in Peace

St Mart's Youth Club Dance on Havelock St. where on Havelock Street, there was never any sort of dance hall on Havelock Street. St Mary's Youth Club was held on a Thursday night In St. Mary's School on Moscow Mill Street, until transferring to the Perish Centre on Lock Street in the sixties. The only time I remember trouble with gangs was in the days of the Empire Dance Hall at the bottom end of Union Road
Old 23-09-2009, 11:55   #194
Junior Member+

Lock Street well I was near!!!
St Mary's youth club held in the hall/gym and then to Lock street about 1963. I remember the Empire as well even when it was a picture house those Brown velvet curtains with a couple of gold bands across the bottom????
Rycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 15:48   #195
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycroft View Post
Lock Street well I was near!!!
St Mary's youth club held in the hall/gym and then to Lock street about 1963. I remember the Empire as well even when it was a picture house those Brown velvet curtains with a couple of gold bands across the bottom????
Still can't remember any fights though Rycroft, I went to the youth club from being twelve till they packed it in around Christmas 1964, those who attended just weren't into that fisticuffs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..