Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2008, 20:15   #46

Re: Who Remembers.......

Puts hands up to Cashy......platform tickets were the greatest invention ever.....Preston was the fav.....but went to Crewe a few times spotting trains.....Bless me Father........for I have sinned........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2008, 22:12   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow View Post
Puts hands up to Cashy......platform tickets were the greatest invention ever.....Preston was the fav.....but went to Crewe a few times spotting trains.....Bless me Father........for I have sinned........
i'm still sinning Tal.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:21   #48
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
.......when Moscow Mill was a working cotton mill and St Mary's School was opposite - next to the T A barracks? When Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill and its chimney dominated the West End skyline? When steam trains pulled into Accrington station? When Thwaites Road was an isolated link between West End and Oswaldtwistle? When every stone-built building in Accrington was jet black from industrial pollution? When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money? When nearly every street corner had a shop? When Accrington market was, mostly, in the open air and a pair of "nylons" cost 1/11d? When trams went from Blackburn to Church Commercial and the pantographs had to be changed over by the driver or conductor with a very long pole? When barges full of coal still worked the Leeds-Liverpool canal?

Well you must be bloody old then, like me.
Yes remember all that, I went to St Mary's primary on Moscow Mill street, lived on James street at the time, opposite railway street, all gone now, a shame.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 16:39   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
Yes remember all that, I went to St Mary's primary on Moscow Mill street, lived on James street at the time, opposite railway street, all gone now, a shame.
When were you at St Mary's cooinda, was there from 1951 to 1959 when I wnt to the Holy Family
Old 04-12-2008, 17:29   #50
Junior Member+

Hi Jaysay,

I was at St Marys from 1947 to 1949, from there I went to Hyndburn Park, I know St Mary's was RC which I am but for some reason when we moved to Accrington, I was sent to Hyndburn Park I was there from being 11 and left at 15.

I remember a number of girls from St Mary's eventually went to Paddock Wood, I also remember a number of girl friends I had and would dearly know what happened to them, are you in Church/ossy/Accy

Do know Clive Birch who became a priest, and became Father Superior at Wallsingham the pilgrims church., he was/is my best friend.

Thanks for your contact
Old 06-12-2008, 18:13   #51

Westender,
I, too, remember - and I am.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 11:46   #52
Senior Member+

the elderly chap, way back, used to walk round
accrington with a handkerchief up to his face
had no nose

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 11:53   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the elderly chap, way back, used to walk round
accrington with a handkerchief up to his face
had no nose
Remember him Beechy,didn't he always wear a trilby too? Was very sad for him, always wondered what had happened.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 12:05   #54
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Remember him Beechy,didn't he always wear a trilby too? Was very sad for him, always wondered what had happened.
I remember him well, and yes he always wore a trilby, I was told he had been badly disfigured in a fire, something to do with the war. I also heard a story that he had been in the RAF and was shot down and was burned when the plane crash landed.
He was very sad, but one person who knew him was a friend of my mother who at the time worked in Cavendish Woodhouse which was on Blackburn Road. She was told that he was very aware of his appearance, but he refused to talk about it.
Old 13-12-2008, 13:42   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
I remember him well, and yes he always wore a trilby, I was told he had been badly disfigured in a fire, something to do with the war. I also heard a story that he had been in the RAF and was shot down and was burned when the plane crash landed.
He was very sad, but one person who knew him was a friend of my mother who at the time worked in Cavendish Woodhouse which was on Blackburn Road. She was told that he was very aware of his appearance, but he refused to talk about it.
in them days it was just "Cavendish" i think the Woodhouse was added later, used to go in wi me mam, she bought all her gear from there, must have met yer mam cooinda, yeh used to go upstairs to pay yer weekly.
Old 13-12-2008, 13:54   #56
Super Moderator

Yes, I remember him, poor guy. My mum told me that he had been injured in an industrial accident at Bulloughs, but whether that was just hearsay or not, I don't know.
Old 13-12-2008, 13:59   #57
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
in them days it was just "Cavendish" i think the Woodhouse was added later, used to go in wi me mam, she bought all her gear from there, must have met yer mam cooinda, yeh used to go upstairs to pay yer weekly.
Hi Cashman.
Your right it was just Cavendish originally, when the Woodhouse was added thats when my mother left, she often worked upstairs, no doubt you will have met her, her name was Alice quite tall and a brunette.
Old 17-12-2008, 20:50   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i love em as well west ender, who besides cashy used to get a platform ticket at accy station n go to preston trainspotting, was great if ya never left preston station, did it dozens of times, a great day out fer a lad.
I did it ... never got caught .... do remember seeing Mallard come through Accy, seeing an A3 "streak" was a rarity .... train spotting ended with the introduction of diesels ... no character, no class .... Anyhow, it was great fun; and with platform tickets at twopence, cheap too .... take along some spam sandwiches with lots of HP on them, and a thermos of coffee, laced with my grandad's scotch (he wasn't a big drinker, and it took him weeks to notice) .... it don't get no better
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 10:01   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I did it ... never got caught .... do remember seeing Mallard come through Accy, seeing an A3 "streak" was a rarity .... train spotting ended with the introduction of diesels ... no character, no class .... Anyhow, it was great fun; and with platform tickets at twopence, cheap too .... take along some spam sandwiches with lots of HP on them, and a thermos of coffee, laced with my grandad's scotch (he wasn't a big drinker, and it took him weeks to notice) .... it don't get no better
Looks like you were a proper little anorak, Eric I remember the Mallard coming through Accy too, In my younger days remember going train spotting down at the twenty steps, opposite Blythes, used to sit on the wall and watch the trains all day, lost interest when diesels came in.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:52   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Looks like you were a proper little anorak, Eric I remember the Mallard coming through Accy too, In my younger days remember going train spotting down at the twenty steps, opposite Blythes, used to sit on the wall and watch the trains all day, lost interest when diesels came in.
Did you ever put coins on the line?
How big did they get after being run over by the Loco ,and burnt your fingers when you picked them up.
Is the row of houses still there[can,t remember the street name],we had to walk past to get to the 20 steps if you were walking down from Foxhill Bank
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..