Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2008, 10:15   #226

Re: Years Gone By

My uncle George Rose used to own Rishy Crisps, then when he moved it up Harrod he sold out a multinational, cant remember the name, but he was still Chairman, then a few years later he died of a heart attack at his desk, ( circa 1970s ) .
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2008, 11:23   #227
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
My uncle George Rose used to own Rishy Crisps, then when he moved it up Harrod he sold out a multinational, cant remember the name, but he was still Chairman, then a few years later he died of a heart attack at his desk, ( circa 1970s ) .
Not sure Alan but I think it may have been Walkers that bought Rishy, or could have been Bensons
Old 29-08-2008, 07:52   #228

Yea thats the one Bensons, jaysay. He started in my aunt Annies back room making the crisps then slowly built it up from there. Big cigar smoker, lived in a house on the Espanade in Rishton, Hence Rishy. I think his daughter still has a stall in Accy Market Hall, her name is Susan and he had son George.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:08   #229
God Member

I know a few people who used to work at XL crisps in Harwood, which was owned by Bensons. It may be they used to make the XL brand which is why they referred to it as XL. I thought at one time it was owned by Brooke Bond. I'll have to ask next time I see one of them.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:17   #230
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I know a few people who used to work at XL crisps in Harwood, which was owned by Bensons. It may be they used to make the XL brand which is why they referred to it as XL. I thought at one time it was owned by Brooke Bond. I'll have to ask next time I see one of them.
Brook Bond were housed in the same building I think but i'm not sure. I worked at BB in the plant that made Tea Bags
Old 29-08-2008, 19:37   #231

Two good friends worked in tea bag section broke bond tom and ken clough worked with them at NCB garage moorfield altham they went to oxo I went to gilbraiths when we got made redundant
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 21:59   #232

I think I am right in saying that the first supermarket in Accrington was Associated Dairies (I am not sure that they called themselves ASDA at the time,) on Blackburn Road occupying premises vacated by the Co-op, and it was established about 1964.
It was a pretty crude affair, with rough-sawn wooden racks, and goods displayed in the outer packaging as received, i.e. large cardboard boxes slashed open to display the contents.
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 22:08   #233
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

probably was the first of the "modern" type of them, reckon "Sauls" could have been classed as one way back before that.
Old 27-03-2009, 22:48   #234
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Worked at XL myself in the late 70's...unfortunately a promising career as a cardboard box flattener was cut short when I got sussed smoking in the potato store...
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 09:36   #235
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
I think I am right in saying that the first supermarket in Accrington was Associated Dairies (I am not sure that they called themselves ASDA at the time,) on Blackburn Road occupying premises vacated by the Co-op, and it was established about 1964.
It was a pretty crude affair, with rough-sawn wooden racks, and goods displayed in the outer packaging as received, i.e. large cardboard boxes slashed open to display the contents.
Yep i remember that, it used to be called the Queens supermarket! But as Cashy says Sauls was certainly there before then, used to go there when i was a kid with me Mum and Dad, used to love the way your cash used to shoot up to the office, and then wait for the change to come back down!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 10:07   #236
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Worked at XL myself in the late 70's...unfortunately a promising career as a cardboard box flattener was cut short when I got sussed smoking in the potato store...
I tell you what Mancie them potato stores were something weren't they, all connected to a belt system, I did quite a lot of work there in the late sixties, when they'd just moved in
Old 28-03-2009, 10:23   #237
God Member

I heard once that the potatoes were stored in 'gas' to prevent them sprouting.
Anyone know what the 'gas' was?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 14:01   #238
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I heard once that the potatoes were stored in 'gas' to prevent them sprouting.
Anyone know what the 'gas' was?
Didn't know that Magaret, mind you when I worked there they were still getting fit up in the early days
Old 28-03-2009, 14:18   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Blooming Heck I must be old.......I can remember the Sunken Gardens, which is the site that the Arndale is built on....and the Odeon Cinema.
I must be as old cause I remember that and my mum used to be a waitress in the odeon resturant
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 14:37   #240

I can rembber the mace shop on cross street in oswaldtwistle-and the offlicence on the next street what was james street but they have gone now.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..