Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 19:11   #121
Full Member+

Re: Years Gone By

I remember when every street had a corner shop. Our nearest was Freds Shop on the corner of Pansy and Eccles Street. He had a great penny tray. For a real treat we would be taken to the Mount shop, where Cartridge World is now, and could choose a quarter of something and you had to pass the jars of sweets over to the old dear behind the counter as they were arranged all over the shop.
Did anyone else play on their trollies round the back of Woolworths on the steep slope there?
Old 27-02-2007, 19:19   #122
God Member

Rindy so cute!
Remember Isobel Winters for school uniform.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:01   #123
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Did you ever go to the chippy across the road from the baths and buy a bag of batter bits for tuppence. I used to really look forward to that after I had been swimming.....if I was really flush I would buy four pennorth of chips and smother them with salt and vinegar.
On the left of the chip shop was a confectioners that made miniature loafs of bread like hovis they were good we used to share chip bits and bread, the newsagents was on the right of the chippy Aurther Smalleys he sold toffee as well.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:16   #124
God Member

Back to the first supermarket ..... according to hubby it was called Saul,s , He thinks it was on either Bank st or Jacob st,the owner was apperantly a jew from manchester and it was in the mid 50s...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:17   #125
Beacon of light

Yes, I remember that too...if we couldn't scrape enough money for the baths and a bag of bits we used to have a penny Hovis loaf and a halfpenny spanish....you know the really hard spanish, and we used to jam the spanish into the bread and eat it like a sandwich. Nowhere near as good as a bag of crispy bits though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:19   #126
Beacon of light

Sauls was down by the Black Abbey pub....I suppose it could be called a supermarket....but I don't recall it being very busy.......and yes he was a Jew.
Old 27-02-2007, 20:20   #127
God Member

I was just on phone to my mum while reading that cherokee and she agree's it was Sauls but says was it not on Back Abbey St?
Old 27-02-2007, 20:22   #128
God Member

Quote:
Sauls was down by the Black Abbey pub....I suppose it could be called a supermarket....but I don't recall it being very busy.......and yes he was a Jew.

He says it was a supermarket for those days , no shelves though , everything in boxes ..cor blimey the EHO would have had a ball ..lol.............!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2007, 20:23   #129
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I was just on phone to my mum while reading that cherokee and she agree's it was Sauls but says was it not on Back Abbey St?
He dosent know exact location tinks but yes def around that area .. think MP may have it ..
Old 27-02-2007, 20:25   #130
Beacon of light

Yes, everything was in boxes...and if you read my earlier post some of the tins had no labels on them......so it was pot luck if you bought those......you could be on prunes and custard or tinned steak...sardines and corned beef were a fairly safe bet though. The tins without labels were very cheap though. I think that is what my mum used to go in his shop for...to rummage among the bargains.
Old 27-02-2007, 20:27   #131
Beacon of light

The shop now is divided into two retail outlets...one sells beds and the other one sells hand made wooden toys.
Old 27-02-2007, 20:43   #132
God Member

After asking where Redmans was, my mums just told me it was her first job when leaving school ..... she asks does anyone remember John Swanny (the owners) 100% salmon paste?

It was an interesting conversation, she's just been filling me in with bits that you've all been talking about .... like the baths were where the sunken car park is near near the skateboarding park and that there was a pub on the opposite corner called The Junction and that the chippy you remember was next door.

She also remembers the railway station and said that the red towers you can/could see in the lodge where the new complex is being built was actually part of the bridge structure for the trains that were going to Manchester

She also asks was it in the '70's when the sunken gardens were removed?

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 27-02-2007 at 20:46.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:54   #133
Resident Waffler

Saul's was down where Kerr's is now. It was kind of the Aldi of its day

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:58   #134
Resident Waffler

Quote:
I had one of those Willow.....it was in the shape of a book and bound in a leatherette type of stuff.......wonder what happened to it?
Was is embossed with the bank name and a picture? We had them in red green and blue. Before those we had the 'tank' which was a great heavy lump of a thing with a handle on top and it went kerplunk when you put money in.

In later years they brought out plastic ones, one shaped like a globe, one like a TivvyTroll (male and female versions). We had different keys to fit the different ones and they were all on a bunch behind the counter. Woe betide anyone who didn't put them back after using them to open a home safe!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 23:01   #135
Give, give, give member

The old Accy baths, which closed in late '76, used to really scare me as a child. They had those heavy meatal beams holding the glass ceiling up, and what looked like circular saws with jagged edges on them as decoration. I learned to swim there thinking quickly, they could fall down and kill me!

I remember the changing cubicles were seperated. The men's were around the side of the pool, and the ladies were upstairs round the balcony. I can't remember what happened with your clothes though. Did you have a key and lock the cubicle, or was there a basket which you left with an attendant?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..