Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 11:02   #166
Resident Waffler

Re: Years Gone By

I mentioned Woods in another thread. I used to buy snuff there for a chap in Germany because you couldn't get the brand he liked over there. Woods had two shops that were interconnected at the back, one in Union St and the other in Blackburn Rd. If you went in one and they didn't have what you wanted in that half the shop keeper could nip through to see if they'd got it in the other one. I have a feeling they closed one and just kept the other one for a while though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14   #167
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The extra long cigarettes you bought at Woods tobacconists cashy?
thats the ones ianto.w though must have thought i was cooler than wynonie sat on the deck.pmsl.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It was the area stretching from the town hall to the bus station where young folks used to hang out. I started a thread on it somewhere.
Ah right, cheers. I'll go and have a moochy at that.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47   #169
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I mentioned Woods in another thread. I used to buy snuff there for a chap in Germany because you couldn't get the brand he liked over there. Woods had two shops that were interconnected at the back, one in Union St and the other in Blackburn Rd. If you went in one and they didn't have what you wanted in that half the shop keeper could nip through to see if they'd got it in the other one. I have a feeling they closed one and just kept the other one for a while though.
Woods also used to supply cigarettes wholesale to other shops willow, the photograph of the shop and the Union St WMC is in the Brooks Club, it was taken on the day they were shut to enable Barclays Bank to extend, it also has the date I'll have a look this afternoon, I'm going in for the tea time banter.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:54   #170
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't remember them, Mr C. I do recall a Turkish brand called Sullivan Powell that I used to buy from there when I was around 16-17. Used to sit on the deck smoking 'em, thinking I was being very cool!
What about Sobranne Black Russian cocktail cigarettes or Pasha aromatic and Passing Clouds, you could outstink the fishmarket round the corner with those.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:59   #171
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
What about Sobranne Black Russian cocktail cigarettes or Pasha aromatic and Passing Clouds, you could outstink the fishmarket round the corner with those.
tried em exept the pasha,also sweet afton, n carrols no1. were favourites of mine,obviously the paddy in me.
Old 02-03-2007, 13:02   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
grego Fitzpatricks blacksmiths was on the corner of the little street that was/is behind Kwik Save, were the little car parks are now, at the far end of the street at the junction was the Horseshoe (thwaites house) or the learners arms as it was known.
Are you sure Cashy? Well it was about 22 years ago last time I was there!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:26   #173
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Years Gone By

I remember Joysticks cashman and Royalty too. They were much fatter than normal fags and sort of oval. Woods also used to sell American fags like Camel, Lucky Stripe. American fags came in stylish fag packets which were a boon to fag packet collectors.

Then there was Nosegay, Bar One, Turf, Park Drive and good old Woodbines. You could also buy them in packets of five. Ship’s Woodbines were the same size as Senior Service or Players and on board ship I used to pay 10d for a 20 packet. Players and the like were one shilling and we were allowed to buy 800 per month. In Civvy street at that time Players, Senior Service etc were 3 shillings and sixpence or thereabouts.

Did you know that the sailor portrayed on the Players packet was a real person called Tom something or other?

The cheapest fags were ‘Guttersnipe’ or ‘Bend Down Virginias’ but only in dry weather.
Old 02-03-2007, 13:39   #174
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Are you sure Cashy? Well it was about 22 years ago last time I was there!
cashy could have got the name of the street wrong grego, but it was where he said it was between kwik save and the blockade pub. Little St is at the bottom of Willows lane, I think the street cashy was refering to was Moore St, I'll have a look when I go down today.
Old 02-03-2007, 14:56   #175
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
cashy could have got the name of the street wrong grego, but it was where he said it was between kwik save and the blockade pub. Little St is at the bottom of Willows lane, I think the street cashy was refering to was Moore St, I'll have a look when I go down today.
didn,t say Little street ian,lol said it was a (little street) cos i couldn,t remember the name of it.pmsl.i am positive grego, spent many an happy hour watching mr fitzpatrick work,was very fascinating to a young cashy. in fact ive spent many an happy hour watching people work as an adult.
Old 02-03-2007, 20:38   #176
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
didn,t say Little street ian,lol said it was a (little street) cos i couldn,t remember the name of it.pmsl.i am positive grego, spent many an happy hour watching mr fitzpatrick work,was very fascinating to a young cashy. in fact ive spent many an happy hour watching people work as an adult.
Just been down cashy the street is called Crawshaw Street Brian Fitzpatriock took over the business in the mid fifties he bought the business of a family called Borsey or Borcy, Fitzpatrick moved into the old Abatoir yard when they developed the said area, that is probably why grego is thinking it was on Hyndburn Road as the old slaughterhouse was facing Hyndburn Road. You must have smelt the same smells as I did cashy hot iron on hoof never smelt it since, if you can find me a woman that can wear that perfume, I may become a man again.
Old 02-03-2007, 20:46   #177
God Member

Thanks for that guys, dont think you get old fashioned farriers anymore, haven't owned a horse for about 10 years now but the shoes all came ready made, not the same.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 00:09   #178
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

cheers ian remember Crawshaw street now, also now remember what gregos on about, i was the town drunk then - when he moved so its all a blur.
Old 03-03-2007, 00:12   #179
God Member

ah so you finally sobered up cashy ........ lol!!!!! just joking hun...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 00:29   #180
Resting in peace

Wood's tobacconists was still trading on the day that the Union St club shut on 28th March 1989, they must have ceased trading shortly after. Have any of the members or their family members sat in the 'Gods' at the Hippodrome?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..