Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2007, 23:07   #136
God Member

Re: Years Gone By

old accy baths as i remember it from a child were lads down one side girls down other and your clothes stayed in the cubicle... but i only rem my schooldays going there so it may have been different for open swimming....
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2007, 23:26   #137
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
On the left of the chip shop was a confectioners that made miniature loafs of bread like hovis they were good we used to share chip bits and bread, the newsagents was on the right of the chippy Aurther Smalleys he sold toffee as well.
can you remember who lived on that row iantow? it was very strange to cashy as a nipper.lol
Old 27-02-2007, 23:49   #138
God Member

ah uncle rindy what a cute pic...i notice the smile hasnt changed
Old 28-02-2007, 00:00   #139
God Member

I remember the old accy baths.. that was my bath.. went every July without fail!
and the chippy over the road.

Last edited by Mancie; 28-02-2007 at 00:02.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 00:03   #140
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
can you remember who lived on that row iantow? it was very strange to cashy as a nipper.lol
Most of them cashy, the whole area was a small community on it's own St James St ,Paradise St, Eagle st and the back streets as most of them were back to back houses with communal back yards an toilets etc. The characters yes, Tommy two guns said he used to be in All Capones gang when he went to live in America, Mr and Mrs Flaherty in Paradise St a mate of mine married their daughter, also Mrs Best who's nickname was 'Merry Bess' among others, I was brought up on Blackburn Rd Corner house with Grimshaw St, but I knew this area very well as my Grandma was the landlady of the Globe Inn, I bought a house on Eagle St in 1964, I could go on all night naming names but not the done thing methinks?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 00:10   #141
God Member

my grandad used to live in one of the old firemens cottages up manchester rd an he had a communal back yard with the loos etc ... i was only a young un and used to find it funny....
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 00:11   #142
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Most of them cashy, the whole area was a small community on it's own St James St ,Paradise St, Eagle st and the back streets as most of them were back to back houses with communal back yards an toilets etc. The characters yes, Tommy two guns said he used to be in All Capones gang when he went to live in America, Mr and Mrs Flaherty in Paradise St a mate of mine married their daughter, also Mrs Best who's nickname was 'Merry Bess' among others, I was brought up on Blackburn Rd Corner house with Grimshaw St, but I knew this area very well as my Grandma was the landlady of the Globe Inn, I bought a house on Eagle St in 1964, I could go on all night naming names but not the done thing methinks?
now then theres a story about tommy 2 guns somewhere i put in a thread in nostalgia section,an its perfectly true. also i knew merry bess by one of her other names. lol me aunt alice who ican barely remember lived on parsdise st.

Last edited by cashman; 28-02-2007 at 00:13.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:08   #143
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Was is embossed with the bank name and a picture? We had them in red green and blue. Before those we had the 'tank' which was a great heavy lump of a thing with a handle on top and it went kerplunk when you put money in.

In later years they brought out plastic ones, one shaped like a globe, one like a TivvyTroll (male and female versions). We had different keys to fit the different ones and they were all on a bunch behind the counter. Woe betide anyone who didn't put them back after using them to open a home safe!
Mine was green Willow...and it did make a very satisfying sound when you put money in it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 08:20   #144
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The old Accy baths, which closed in late '76, used to really scare me as a child. They had those heavy meatal beams holding the glass ceiling up, and what looked like circular saws with jagged edges on them as decoration. I learned to swim there thinking quickly, they could fall down and kill me!

I remember the changing cubicles were seperated. The men's were around the side of the pool, and the ladies were upstairs round the balcony. I can't remember what happened with your clothes though. Did you have a key and lock the cubicle, or was there a basket which you left with an attendant?
Rindy, you just left your clothes in the cubicle and hoped someone would steal them.........and leave you something better. I never had any money other than a few coppers with which to buy a bag of bits or a few chips.....Maybe folk were more honest then.
Everyone I knew used to put their coppers in their sock and stuff it into the toe of their shoe. So the crims didn't have to be a genius to rob us of our few coppers.

As for the Redman's query......I remember John Swanney. My mum used to love that potted salmon. I'm sure that john swanney later had a shop in Church St......that was after Redmans closed down.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 09:59   #145
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
She also asks was it in the '70's when the sunken gardens were removed?
The sunken gardens were filled in in 1960 when construction was started on the Broadway shops. They were a real oasis of calm and tranquilty amid the hustle and bustle of the town centre. Used to sit there with my gran, watching the world go by. It was a shame when they disappeared, but at the time it was thought to be a major step forward for the town's shopping facilities, especially the introduction of an M&S store which was the first new one in the country since the war. I think the shops opened around October, 1961, as I remember going to have a shufty in the new Woolies for the first time on my way up to a match at Peel Park, just a few months before the old Stanley folded. The fountains on Broadway looked great when they were in action but, alas, that wasn't for long, thanks to the efforts of practical jokers who regularly tipped bottles of washing up liquid into them to create a bubble bath along Broadway!
Old 28-02-2007, 17:17   #146
God Member

Cheers Wynonie I'll let her know she was a full decade out lol!

My mum also remembers them with fondness, the pictures I've seen of them they were lovely
Old 28-02-2007, 21:16   #147
Super Moderator

Glad to be of service, Tinks, and ta for the karma.

Now I've a question to ask the senior members out there. When I was about 11 or 12 in 1962/3, I have a distinct memory of walking round the back of the Broadway car park, somewhere near the bottom of Castle Street and seeing an old pub being demolished. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?
Old 28-02-2007, 22:25   #148
Resting in peace

The Australian, that was the pub your after 'S'
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 22:33   #149
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Glad to be of service, Tinks, and ta for the karma.

Now I've a question to ask the senior members out there. When I was about 11 or 12 in 1962/3, I have a distinct memory of walking round the back of the Broadway car park, somewhere near the bottom of Castle Street and seeing an old pub being demolished. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?
the only pub at the bottom of castle street was around the corner to the left on the pleck, it was a thwaites house The Australian where cashy had his first pint in 62, the then landlady is still batting and have seen her in the back room of the stag at occasional accyweb meets.so it was later in 60s wyn when it was demolished cos it stood empty a few years, never remember any other pub down there apart from the Black Bull- over the river stink bridge next to a paper shop and ken cleggs.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:22   #150
Super Moderator

Cheers, Mr C and Ian, that's the pub. Must be getting my years mixed up on its demolition date.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..