Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2007, 22:39   #91
mez
God Member

Re: Years Gone By

o does anyone remember sauls up (black abbey st? i think) all the foodstuff was in carboard boxes.
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2007, 22:41   #92
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
o does anyone remember sauls up (black abbey st? i think) all the foodstuff was in carboard boxes.
yep me nan used to take me for butter n loose tea. lol
Old 26-02-2007, 22:44   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
i remember the queen coming to accy
THE QUEEN What was that for mez?
Old 26-02-2007, 22:44   #94
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Years Gone By

The public baths at the top of St James Street just below the Scaitcliffe Colliery. Just across the road from the baths was a side street and up a ginnel on the left was a ‘shop’ where you could buy a penny or twopenny bag of Smiths crisps. Actually they were the broken bits but the bag was proper full to bursting. You certainly got your money’s worth. You had to watch out for the blue one though. It was very, very salty.

As for the baths it was mixed bathing most evenings after six and Sunday mornings but most other times it was single sex swimming. Mornings was usually reserved for schools where we were taught to swim by a teacher stood on the poolside.

The ladies changing cubicles were upstairs on the balcony and the blokes were at the poolside. There was a three level diving board where we kids would launch ourselves into space in either a real dive or a bomb into just 6 feet 6 inches of water. The pool had stone steps at each corner leading into the water right to the bottom. There wasn’t a lifeguard as such but the attendant who looked after the boilers and the tub baths (I think they called them slipper baths. The swimming pool was the plunge baths) would look in once in a while. I never heard of anyone drowning.

I swam my first mile there when I was about 13. 72 twenty five yards lengths of the baths was 1,800 yards which is a bit over a mile.

The original Woolworths was across the road from the front of the Town Hall and a bit to the left. Free sweets if you were sneaky and quick enough. Although you did get a hefty clout round the ear if you were caught and chucked out of the front door with words like, “I know where you live. Wait till I tell your dad” reverberating around a throbbing lug hole.

Accrington had an abundance of cinemas. Empire and Princess on Edgar Street I think it was. Then there was the Odeon, the Palace, the Ritz and the bug hut. Sorry I mean Kings Hall. Best of all was the hippodrome theatre on Ellison Street just above the tram and bus depot.

The Coppice had no trees, which made sledging down in winter a fast treat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0168.jpg (88.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg scan0175.jpg (101.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 26-02-2007, 22:50   #95
mez
God Member

hey it were a long time ago i can't remember .....(its the grey cells you know )i think it was a tour of the counties after her coronation.
Old 26-02-2007, 23:08   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
THE QUEEN What was that for mez?
Not sure, but I think it was her Coronation year, 1953. All the kids in Ossy went to the traffic lights at Church to see her sail past on her way to Accy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 23:15   #97
God Member

Has she ever been back since? How many other Royals have been to Accrington? Princess Diana obviously and it's not long ago since Princess Anne was here, they landed her helicopter at the side of us.
Old 26-02-2007, 23:18   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Has she ever been back since? How many other Royals have been to Accrington? Princess Diana obviously and it's not long ago since Princess Anne was here, they landed her helicopter at the side of us.

I think Prince Charles came to Oswaldtwistle to open Foxhill Bank nature reserve, about twelve years ago.(?)

Old 26-02-2007, 23:21   #99
God Member

Aaah right

Somethings telling me Edward was here not so long ago too but I'm probably wrong ... I usually am
Old 26-02-2007, 23:43   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think Prince Charles came to Oswaldtwistle to open Foxhill Bank nature reserve, about twelve years ago.(?)
think it was him who came back last summer n set fire to the benches.
Old 26-02-2007, 23:50   #101
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think it was him who came back last summer n set fire to the benches.

Maybe...to destroy the evidence were he'd carved 'i wuv Camilla' on them twelve years earlier.

Old 26-02-2007, 23:56   #102
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Maybe...to destroy the evidence were he'd carved 'i wuv Camilla' on them twelve years earlier.
so you noticed it as well?
Old 27-02-2007, 01:17   #103
God Member

well my hubby has asked me to ask who remembers the first supermarket in accy and what was it called .... ????
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 06:21   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The Coppice had no trees, which made sledging down in winter a fast treat.

I remember being at junior school, where along with all the other schools in the area, - our class planted some of the trees on the coppice - great it was - out of school for a whole week
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 09:37   #105
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
well my hubby has asked me to ask who remembers the first supermarket in accy and what was it called .... ????
I'm guessing now.

You could call the old Co-op a supermarket. It had trollies and aisles etc, and had been like that since the '50's.

Or there was Reiley's, owned by Jack Reliey next door to Moor End Post Office, which I remember being there as long ago as the sixties.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..