Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2011, 08:20   #1

Accy clubs in 60s

I once saw Champion Jack Dupree at a club on corner of Knowlmere St and Whalley Road about 1964. Can't remember the name of it though. There was a back room where there was lots of gambling. Neil Berry and Brian Boyd (anybody remember them?) used to really get into the sleazy card shark roles and they'd only be about 15 or 16 :-) There were some great local bands used to play there too. Also up and around the corner there was the 'Hearts' youth club which got packed solid on a Saturday night but closed down all of a sudden. Anybody remember those days?
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2011, 08:35   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

I can remember a dance hall called The Arcadian (Arcs) which was on the corner of Knowlmere St and Malt St. A couple called Clifford and Eleanor (can't remember surname) ran it around the early 60's I seem to recall.
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:39   #3
Super Moderator

Could it be the Arcs AKA Arcadium Ballroom you're talking about? Can't remember a backroom, though.

The Arcadium Ballroom, Accrington on Manchesterbeat - the group and music scene of Manchester in the '60s

Champion Jack, although originally from New Orleans, lived in Halifax in the 60's, after marrying an English woman and appeared at lots of venues around the country. Saw him give a brilliant performance at the Jazz Club, circa '68/'69.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:44   #4
Resting in Peace

The only one I think it could be is the Cavern which was roughly in that vicinity, and I remember him playing the Jazz club Wyn
Old 14-06-2011, 08:48   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only one I think it could be is the Cavern which was roughly in that vicinity, and I remember him playing the Jazz club Wyn
Reckon you're right, Jay. Never went there, but after having heard about it, the Cavern sounds more the sort of venue that Champion Jack would play at. It's just the mention of Knowlmere St that threw me.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:05   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Dont think the cavern was open 64? was later, cant remember jack dupree on yon. also think neil berry would be 17 in 64, if its the lad i remember,came from Thorneyholme Rd, / Ribblesdale Ave, area.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:13   #7

The Cavern was where Dupree played, that's where there was a back room. It might have been 63. I was tall for my age so got into places. I might have had my first taste of alcohol there.

It might have been Arcs instead of Hearts? Perhaps I heard it wrong. It might have been just for youngsters on a Friday night maybe? It was either where Dandy mentions or possibly was the church hall further up? One large room with small stage at one end.

Neil Berry was from Roe Greave Road in Ossy, as was Brian Boyd
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

Old 14-06-2011, 09:23   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
The Cavern was where Dupree played, that's where there was a back room. It might have been 63. I was tall for my age so got into places. I might have had my first taste of alcohol there.

It might have been Arcs instead of Hearts? Perhaps I heard it wrong. It might have been just for youngsters on a Friday night maybe? It was either where Dandy mentions or possibly was the church hall further up? One large room with small stage at one end.

I might be wrong here but I don't think the Cavern had a licence, might be wrong but the few times I did go I'm sure there was no booze, remember Long John Boldry playing there and Julie Driscoll and the Brian Augor Trinity
Old 14-06-2011, 09:27   #9

You might be right about the licence, Jaysay, but there was some booze sneaked in :-) I saw Long John Baldry there too!

I'm very fuzzy about where the Cavern was, but it seems it was the Arts I went to, looking at Wynonie's picture.

Old 14-06-2011, 09:27   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ah musta been 2 neil berrys then, or possibly 3 think there was one on Dill Hall Lane near manor gardens, though me memorys not the greatest think now the one i first mentioned was n Alan not neil
Old 14-06-2011, 09:28   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post

That church hall-type place further up (corner of Whalley Road and York St) did have a youth club, as I remember some lads in my class at AGS used to attend. It had a stage at one end too, as they used to put plays on sometimes.

Arcs was just one room with a stage at one end, although it was more just a space than a stage, as it wasn't raised from the floor. Regular group when I used to go there ('65/'66) were the Soundcasters.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:36   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That church hall-type place further up (corner of Whalley Road and York St) did have a youth club, as I remember some lads in my class at AGS used to attend. It had a stage at one end too, as they used to put plays on sometimes.

Arcs was just one room with a stage at one end, although it was more just a space than a stage, as it wasn't raised from the floor. Regular group when I used to go there ('65/'66) were the Soundcasters.
Think that was Whalley Road Congregational Church Youth Club Wyn used to pop round there on a Friday night occasionally
Old 14-06-2011, 09:40   #13

I've a feeling now that there was perhaps one or two gigs in the church hall meant for under 16's or such, but they got so crowded and older youths would come, that maybe the church couldn't keep control so they shut it down.

Old 14-06-2011, 09:41   #14
Resting in Peace

Taking about Dance halls anybody remember Spring Hill on a Saturday Night, was a popular dance hall in the early 60s, was part of Spring Hill Methodists Church and was run by a woman called Mrs Quipp, well I think that was her name, can remember going round to her house after school it was full of teeny boppers listening to music she live just down from the church on Richmond Road
Old 14-06-2011, 09:42   #15
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That belonged to Whalley Road Congregational Church , Wyn , now United Reformed Church .
My dad met my mum there in 1930s . He was in the Sunshine Boys who put on concerts there .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..