Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2011, 09:46   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
That belonged to Whalley Road Congregational Church , Wyn , now United Reformed Church .
My dad met my mum there in 1930s . He was in the Sunshine Boys who put on concerts there .
Though I was right about the Church name JCB
Old 14-06-2011, 09:53   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think that was Whalley Road Congregational Church Youth Club Wyn used to pop round there on a Friday night occasionally
yep saw the dappers yon.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:53   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
That belonged to Whalley Road Congregational Church , Wyn , now United Reformed Church .
My dad met my mum there in 1930s . He was in the Sunshine Boys who put on concerts there .
Sounds like a hub of thriving activity back in the day. Always has a closed, deserted air about it when I walk past, although it might be because it's always around five on a Saturday.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:57   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
I'm very fuzzy about where the Cavern was, but it seems it was the Arts I went to, looking at Wynonie's picture.
The Cavern was on the corner of Milnshaw Lane and Castle Street, right next to the viaduct. It was in the cellar of a stonebuilt 3/4 storey building. Think it might have been a printers (Ward Knowles?). Long gone now, of course.
Old 14-06-2011, 12:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
The Cavern was on the corner of Milnshaw Lane and Castle Street, right next to the viaduct. It was in the cellar of a stonebuilt 3/4 storey building. Think it might have been a printers (Ward Knowles?). Long gone now, of course.
Thanks, Wynonie, you're a mine of information. I kind of remember it now, very vaguely!

I don't remember the Spring Hill place, Jaysay, but do you remember the catholic youth club on Lock St in Ossy? The priest used to come round to make sure we were all behaving ourselves. For some reason I remember 'You really got me' by the Kinks and 'Louie Louie' by whoever it was being really popular. Everybody got up and danced to those and by dancing I mean it was some kind of conga thing. LOL!
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:40   #21
Resting in Peace

You mean this one?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:48   #22

That's the one! Still as incomprehensible as ever but great nevertheless!
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 13:06   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's the one! Still as incomprehensible as ever but great nevertheless!
Was the subject of a 2-year investigation by the FBI for supposedly obscene lyrics. They finally concluded what the rest of us already knew - the lyrics are simply "unintelligble"!
Old 14-06-2011, 13:26   #24

Quote:
Thanks, Wynonie, you're a mine of information. I kind of remember it now, very vaguely!

I don't remember the Spring Hill place, Jaysay, but do you remember the catholic youth club on Lock St in Ossy? The priest used to come round to make sure we were all behaving ourselves. For some reason I remember 'You really got me' by the Kinks and 'Louie Louie' by whoever it was being really popular. Everybody got up and danced to those and by dancing I mean it was some kind of conga thing. LOL!
I think that would have been Father O'Sullivan. I can remember him standing on the stage in the youth club and saying that kissing was a sin if you weren't married!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:10   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I think that would have been Father O'Sullivan. I can remember him standing on the stage in the youth club and saying that kissing was a sin if you weren't married!!
jeez i musta been a right sinner.
Old 14-06-2011, 15:58   #26
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
jeez i musta been a right sinner.
BEEN ? A right Sinner ? Beyond redemption more like ! It's the pits of Hell & all that gnashing & wailing for you m'laddo !
Old 14-06-2011, 17:10   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Was the subject of a 2-year investigation by the FBI for supposedly obscene lyrics. They finally concluded what the rest of us already knew - the lyrics are simply "unintelligble"!
I never knew that, but by the power of google, I learnt that you had to play the 45rpm single at 33 1/3 in order to unveil the offensive lyrics. It's all here:
Louie Louie lyrics

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 17:23   #28
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Though I was right about the Church name JCB
Yes , Jaysay , and right too about Mrs Quipp on Richmond Road and the Methodist church . It's the Al-Hamza restaurant and banqueting hall now .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 512.jpg (499.8 KB, 7 views)
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 18:07   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Father O'sullivan was a real tarter Sue, your right about him policing the youth club, that's why I stopped going and went to the mount pleasant Methodist youth club instead
Old 14-06-2011, 18:09   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes , Jaysay , and right too about Mrs Quipp on Richmond Road and the Methodist church . It's the Al-Hamza restaurant and banqueting hall now .
Is nothing sacred anymore

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..