Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2011, 09:33   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Don't remember Yardbirds n i saw many, remember "Them" wi van the man.
Ya I saw them too cashy
Old 26-06-2011, 14:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Something just occurred to me about this...although Cream never played in Accy, did Eric Clapton? I remember somebody on Accyweb saying that they saw the Yardbirds at the Con. So the question is, was Clapton in their line-up or had he been replaced by Jeff Beck by then? Either way it'd be another name to add to the select roll-call of stars who have appeared in the town...Jon Anderson (of course), Paul Simon, Rod Stewart, Kiki Dee, Van Morrison. Anybody recall seeing the Yardbirds at the Con?
Just spoke to a friend I used to go out with and she says she says we saw Eric Clapton and she's almost sure it was at the Cavern. Perhaps this is why I got mixed up. Is it possible Wynonie??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 14:30   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Just spoke to a friend I used to go out with and she says she says we saw Eric Clapton and she's almost sure it was at the Cavern. Perhaps this is why I got mixed up. Is it possible Wynonie??
Clapton was in John Mayalls "Bluesbreakers" fer awhile sue, perhaps he was with em when yeh saw Mayall? wherever that was? i still got the "Bluesbreaker" album n clapton is on it.
Old 26-06-2011, 20:10   #64
Super Moderator

Clapton was with Mayall between April '65 and August '65. Then after a break in Greece, between Nov '65 and May '66. So if Mayall played at the Cavern between any of those dates, you could well be right, Sue.
Old 26-06-2011, 20:24   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

he could have played the cavern, i don't remember, though thats not saying a lot fer some of the states i got into.
Old 26-06-2011, 20:40   #66
Super Moderator

Quote:
he could have played the cavern, i don't remember, though thats not saying a lot fer some of the states i got into.
He could have done but I'm a bit doubtful. Isaac, Florrie and many other Deck dwellers were huge Mayall and Clapton fans and I'm sure that if he'd played there, the event would have entered into local legend and would have been mentioned on here before now. Could be wrong, though.

However, just had another thought, Cashy. Clapton joined a Liverpool band called Casey Jones & The Engineers in Oct '63. He only played with 'em for a few weeks, but could he have played the Cavern with this lot? Was the club open in late '63?
Old 26-06-2011, 20:43   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thought it was later n that when the cavern opened, i left school easter 63, am near sure it wasn't open that year, perhaps Darwendosser can remember?
Old 26-06-2011, 21:09   #68
Super Moderator

Looks like it could remain a mystery unless someone comes along to enlighten us!
Old 27-06-2011, 08:29   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Clapton was in John Mayalls "Bluesbreakers" fer awhile sue, perhaps he was with em when i saw Mayall? wherever that was? i still got the "Bluesbreaker" album n clapton is on it.
Clapton still plays with John Mayall even today cashy, saw the Bluesbreakers on Sky Arts recently
Old 27-06-2011, 08:33   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Looks like it could remain a mystery unless someone comes along to enlighten us!
Can't really see that happening Wyn, after all these threads are run on the memories of people like ourselves, and lets face it the memories are fading faster these days, sadly
Old 27-06-2011, 10:45   #71

Quote:
He could have done but I'm a bit doubtful. Isaac, Florrie and many other Deck dwellers were huge Mayall and Clapton fans and I'm sure that if he'd played there, the event would have entered into local legend and would have been mentioned on here before now. Could be wrong, though.

However, just had another thought, Cashy. Clapton joined a Liverpool band called Casey Jones & The Engineers in Oct '63. He only played with 'em for a few weeks, but could he have played the Cavern with this lot? Was the club open in late '63?
Wynonie, you are waking up brain cells that I thought were lain to rest. The name Florrie, !! enlighten me as I'm sure I should remember and it certainly rings a bell.
As regards the Cavern I think it opened in about late 65-66
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:23   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Wynonie, you are waking up brain cells that I thought were lain to rest. The name Florrie, !! enlighten me as I'm sure I should remember and it certainly rings a bell.
As regards the Cavern I think it opened in about late 65-66
Florrie? Kevin Florentine, drummer with the Francis T. Construction and man about town in the 60's. I'm sure you must've known him...your Al certainly did. He's still seen around town these days...Cashy regularly has a chat with him.
Old 27-06-2011, 17:33   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Florrie? Kevin Florentine, drummer with the Francis T. Construction and man about town in the 60's. I'm sure you must've known him...your Al certainly did. He's still seen around town these days...Cashy regularly has a chat with him.
Ya there usually sat on the forms outside the market hall Wyn
Old 27-06-2011, 18:28   #74
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya there usually sat on the forms outside the market hall Wyn
Disgraceful! I'll be reporting them to Councillor Moss!
Old 27-06-2011, 18:31   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Disgraceful! I'll be reporting them to Councillor Moss!
He might go a join um Wyn, that is if he can find just a little time in his very tight schedule

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..