Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2011, 19:57   #31
JCB

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is nothing sacred anymore
A sign of the times , especially in Spring Hill . The new chapel that the Methodists had built next to the original one is now a mosque . So if you fancy prayer followed by a nosh-up you know where to come .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2011, 09:03   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
A sign of the times , especially in Spring Hill . The new chapel that the Methodists had built next to the original one is now a mosque . So if you fancy prayer followed by a nosh-up you know where to come .
Sorry about that JCB I'll pass, I haven't got a prayer mat
Old 15-06-2011, 10:37   #33

Quote:
Sorry about that JCB I'll pass, I haven't got a prayer mat
That's not much of an excuse, J. You can get one from Amazon. They are filed either under Health & Beauty or Office Products.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 17:59   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
That's not much of an excuse, J. You can get one from Amazon. They are filed either under Health & Beauty or Office Products.
Pass
Old 20-06-2011, 14:28   #35

What about the Catholic youth club on the corner of Church Street and Paradise Street. I remember seeing The Francis Tee Construction there about 1965.
And the infamous Accy Disco above Catlows on Whalley Road, it was the Mod's stronghold, sometimes we'd get a visit from the greasy haired, leather jacketed, motor bike riding, tough guy individuals (no names at this stage) from "The Arts"
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:07   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
What about the Catholic youth club on the corner of Church Street and Paradise Street. I remember seeing The Francis Tee Construction there about 1965.
And the infamous Accy Disco above Catlows on Whalley Road, it was the Mod's stronghold, sometimes we'd get a visit from the greasy haired, leather jacketed, motor bike riding, tough guy individuals (no names at this stage) from "The Arts"
Good man, glad yeh aint grassed me.
Old 20-06-2011, 19:20   #37
Senior Member+

Spring Hill on a Saturday night, blimey that brings back some grand memories Jay, I must have been all of 15, some nice young lasses there.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 09:10   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Spring Hill on a Saturday night, blimey that brings back some grand memories Jay, I must have been all of 15, some nice young lasses there.
There were nice young lasses everywhere in them days ossy kid, trouble is they all grew up
Old 21-06-2011, 13:49   #39

Quote:
I might be wrong here but I don't think the Cavern had a licence, might be wrong but the few times I did go I'm sure there was no booze, remember Long John Boldry playing there and Julie Driscoll and the Brian Augor Trinity
You're right Jaysay, no booze was on sale and I can't remember ever seeing any in circulation.
I remember both Neil Berry and Bryan Boyd both from Ossie and I think I remember seeing Dupree at the Cavern.
Does anyone remember a lad from Rishton called Tony Aralo (not sure about the spelling)?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 14:09   #40

I think one or two used to congregate outside for a sup, so perhaps it never went inside. Used to go in down some steps into the main room, stage on the right. If you went left you used to go into a side/back room where they played cards. When Champion Jack played, he wasn't on the stage but straight ahead as you came in, facing the stage with his upright piano. He was brilliant, not just good at blues, r&b but full of funny stories and jokes. It was a great night.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

Old 21-06-2011, 16:36   #41
Full Member+

That church hall-type place further up (corner of Whalley Road and York St) did have a youth club, as I remember some lads in my class at AGS used to attend. It had a stage at one end too, as they used to put plays on sometimes.They certainly did! I did my first play there in 1965: Busybody by Jack Popplewell.I've lost count of how many plays I've done since.
Leylandii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 20:06   #42

Weren't teenagers lucky in those days? I didn't appreciate just how lucky I was at the time. I went to Lock St Ossy and the one in Accy for music. West End youth club and Stanhill pub for pool and cards, Rhyddings Park most summer nights were thriving, either football, crazy golf or musicians like Jinx, Ian Alveston and Phil Kubilius would be there jamming away. There was the Derby for local R & B and blues sessions, the Cavern, Arts. And those are just what I went to. Many others were mentioned. Then there was the Mecca and I also saw the Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, the Hollies and may be some others one night at King George's Hall. It was Beatlemania time and all the girls were screaming all the way through. Mass hysteria all night. I even joined in myself, making all my mates totally embarrassed to be with me

What do you reckon? Was it really better in those days or is it because we are no longer young and just aren't "down with the kids" anymore?

Old 21-06-2011, 20:26   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
Weren't teenagers lucky in those days? I didn't appreciate just how lucky I was at the time. I went to Lock St Ossy and the one in Accy for music. West End youth club and Stanhill pub for pool and cards, Rhyddings Park most summer nights were thriving, either football, crazy golf or musicians like Jinx, Ian Alveston and Phil Kubilius would be there jamming away. There was the Derby for local R & B and blues sessions, the Cavern, Arts. And those are just what I went to. Many others were mentioned. Then there was the Mecca and I also saw the Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, the Hollies and may be some others one night at King George's Hall. It was Beatlemania time and all the girls were screaming all the way through. Mass hysteria all night. I even joined in myself, making all my mates totally embarrassed to be with me

What do you reckon? Was it really better in those days or is it because we are no longer young and just aren't "down with the kids" anymore?
Well as far as music goes it certainly was better, they had to be able to play instruments without all the fancy gadgets that enhance these days nor did singers mime like these ******* today do.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:45   #44

I saw jack dupree at the jazz club and also at Bold st club where the jazz & folk club moved after stanley closed down. I remember Tony Susan, used to catch Blackburn bus home with him from Burnley Mecca on a monday night, I got off in Clayton , Tony in Rishton a very nice bloke, think he went in the army, was he an old flame of yours ?. Correct me boys if Im wrong abut bold st it was one of those WMC s it was a long time ago. We talked about the Beatles on the accy pop groups thread. but I remember L J baldry, julie Driscol, at the Cav. Blues incorporated as well, it was a hot summer night, we had to go to the Bull to quench our thirst.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 08:32   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I saw jack dupree at the jazz club and also at Bold st club where the jazz & folk club moved after stanley closed down. I remember Tony Susan, used to catch Blackburn bus home with him from Burnley Mecca on a monday night, I got off in Clayton , Tony in Rishton a very nice bloke, think he went in the army, was he an old flame of yours ?. Correct me boys if Im wrong abut bold st it was one of those WMC s it was a long time ago. We talked about the Beatles on the accy pop groups thread. but I remember L J baldry, julie Driscol, at the Cav. Blues incorporated as well, it was a hot summer night, we had to go to the Bull to quench our thirst.
Al, the Jazz Club was still going at Peel Park long after the football club closed down. When I was going in the 68/69 era, the Burnley Road stand had been pulled down and the rest of the ground was falling into disrepair. Think it finally closed down in the early 70's. You're right about Bold Street, though - the music was upstairs in the Lakeland Lounge. It was going at the same time as the jazz club, though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..