Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2011, 09:12   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
Weren't teenagers lucky in those days? I didn't appreciate just how lucky I was at the time. I went to Lock St Ossy and the one in Accy for music. West End youth club and Stanhill pub for pool and cards, Rhyddings Park most summer nights were thriving, either football, crazy golf or musicians like Jinx, Ian Alveston and Phil Kubilius would be there jamming away. There was the Derby for local R & B and blues sessions, the Cavern, Arts. And those are just what I went to. Many others were mentioned. Then there was the Mecca and I also saw the Searchers, Freddie and the Dreamers, the Hollies and may be some others one night at King George's Hall. It was Beatlemania time and all the girls were screaming all the way through. Mass hysteria all night. I even joined in myself, making all my mates totally embarrassed to be with me

What do you reckon? Was it really better in those days or is it because we are no longer young and just aren't "down with the kids" anymore?
Pool in the 60s gobbiner, it was after 1975 before pool took of in this country, the first time I saw a pool table in a pub was in 1975 in Carlisle
Old 22-06-2011, 14:12   #47

OK, it was snooker on a quarter or half-size table then. I also played darts and table tennis. Pretty useless at all of them but it was good fun.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 17:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I saw jack dupree at the jazz club and also at Bold st club where the jazz & folk club moved after stanley closed down. I remember Tony Susan, used to catch Blackburn bus home with him from Burnley Mecca on a monday night, I got off in Clayton , Tony in Rishton a very nice bloke, think he went in the army, was he an old flame of yours ?. Correct me boys if Im wrong abut bold st it was one of those WMC s it was a long time ago. We talked about the Beatles on the accy pop groups thread. but I remember L J baldry, julie Driscol, at the Cav. Blues incorporated as well, it was a hot summer night, we had to go to the Bull to quench our thirst.
No Alan we were just friends although he took me to see a James Bond film. He really was a very nice lad and I just wondered what happened to him
Alan do you remember Clarence Frogman Henry at the Cavern and John Mayall or am I getting mixed up. Also I remember that the stage was on the left as you went in , or no??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 17:40   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
No Alan we were just friends although he took me to see a James Bond film. He really was a very nice lad and I just wondered what happened to him
Alan do you remember Clarence Frogman Henry at the Cavern and John Mayall or am I getting mixed up. I remember that the stage was on the left as you went in , or no??
Can't remember John Mayall Sue
Old 22-06-2011, 19:46   #50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Alan do you remember Clarence Frogman Henry at the Cavern and John Mayall or am I getting mixed up. Also I remember that the stage was on the left as you went in , or no??
Are you sure you aren't getting confused with the Wheel?
Old 23-06-2011, 14:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Are you sure you aren't getting confused with the Wheel?
No Wynonie, because when I used to go the Wheel, I never saw anyone particularly interesting.
I don't know why I remember Mayall but I also remember seeing The Cream,
or am I hallucinating?!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:34   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
No Wynonie, because when I used to go the Wheel, I never saw anyone particularly interesting.
I don't know why I remember Mayall but I also remember seeing The Cream,
or am I hallucinating?!!
Susan, the reason I suggested the Wheel is that Cream played their first ever date there and Mayall played both the Brazennose Street Wheel and the Whitworth Street Wheel on numerous occasions. Pretty sure neither of them ever played anywhere in Accy. Maybe you're thinking of another club altogether?
Old 23-06-2011, 16:41   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Susan, the reason I suggested the Wheel is that Cream played their first ever date there and Mayall played both the Brazennose Street Wheel and the Whitworth Street Wheel on numerous occasions. Pretty sure neither of them ever played anywhere in Accy. Maybe you're thinking of another club altogether?
Thats interesting to note wyn, i can remember distinctly reading once the cream never did any gigs up north, that fact they actually did the Wheel, leaves me to conclude it musta been some reporter wi either a "Sun" or L.e.t. background.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:07   #54

Do you know which year the Cavern shut?
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:17   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
Do you know which year the Cavern shut?
Don't think it was open that long really, seem to think only a couple of years, although I could be wrong
Old 23-06-2011, 19:25   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats interesting to note wyn, i can remember distinctly reading once the cream never did any gigs up north, that fact they actually did the Wheel, leaves me to conclude it musta been some reporter wi either a "Sun" or L.e.t. background.
Yep, they definitely did, Mr C, on July 29th, 1966. I was a bit sceptical at first, as they didn't seem like the type of band that would play at the Wheel. However, you've got to remember that they were still just a Chicago-style blues band at this time, as it was a few months away from their trip into the wild blue psychedelic yonder!
Old 26-06-2011, 09:08   #57
Super Moderator

Something just occurred to me about this...although Cream never played in Accy, did Eric Clapton? I remember somebody on Accyweb saying that they saw the Yardbirds at the Con. So the question is, was Clapton in their line-up or had he been replaced by Jeff Beck by then? Either way it'd be another name to add to the select roll-call of stars who have appeared in the town...Jon Anderson (of course), Paul Simon, Rod Stewart, Kiki Dee, Van Morrison. Anybody recall seeing the Yardbirds at the Con?
Old 26-06-2011, 09:20   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Something just occurred to me about this...although Cream never played in Accy, did Eric Clapton? I remember somebody on Accyweb saying that they saw the Yardbirds at the Con. So the question is, was Clapton in their line-up or had he been replaced by Jeff Beck by then? Either way it'd be another name to add to the select roll-call of stars who have appeared in the town...Jon Anderson (of course), Paul Simon, Rod Stewart, Kiki Dee, Van Morrison. Anybody recall seeing the Yardbirds at the Con?
Well, I think I saw nearly all the top line groups that played at the con Wyn, but cant recall the Yardbirds at all with or without Clapton, and seeing they were one of my favourite bands of that era I think I would have been there
Old 26-06-2011, 09:27   #59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well, I think I saw nearly all the top line groups that played at the con Wyn, but cant recall the Yardbirds at all with or without Clapton, and seeing they were one of my favourite bands of that era I think I would have been there
In that case, Jay, I'll take it as read that they never appeared there...a pity as it would have been a good name to add to the list, which is quite impressive anyway for a small town.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:31   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't remember Yardbirds n i saw many, remember "Them" wi van the man.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..