Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 16:35   #301

Re: Living off the fat of the land.

Posted via Mobile Device
Andrew you are still arguing over old ground.

What about this year's Council Tax and the 'misleading' 3.6 percent, when actual figures quoted for all Council Tax bands (in the report I gave the link too) is 7 percent?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2009, 16:46   #302
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I could have swore I just posted this link Ten most expensive areas for council tax - Telegraph from April 2008, citing 2008/2009 council tax, and how Hyndburn was not the most expensive. The article you're refering to was January 2007, and seems to no longer be online. Probably because it was completely misleading as we both know most people in Hyndburn do not live in band D properties.

Of course, we could just deceive everyone, and keep saying the council tax is most expensive in Hyndburn, despite us not being in the top 10 most expensive as linked above. I personally think that's wrong though, I guess Labour disagree with me as they are happy to mislead people for their own electoral advantage.

Let me see if I have this right. You dispute the fact that the report in 2007 was correct because Hyndburn was in it, yet the same report in the same paper which doesn't have Hyndburn in it you swear is correct.
Old 08-02-2009, 17:04   #303
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Let me see if I have this right. You dispute the fact that the report in 2007 was correct because Hyndburn was in it, yet the same report in the same paper which doesn't have Hyndburn in it you swear is correct.
lancsdave I am sorry that I can not link you to the 2007 article. They worked out the figures for all councils and they listed a load of data. They worked out that Hyndburn council tax, for band D, was 8.1% of the average income. Obviously most people do not live in band D housing in the borough, 80% of people live in band A & B. They live in band A & B because we have a fairly low average salary, makes sense right? So when you compare a low average salary, from people who mainly live in band A&B, but with band D, its very, very, misleading. Therefore it was wrong for Labour to claim that we had the most expensive council tax, and its wrong of them to continue saying it. I know they want to get elected, and have good intentions, but I don't believe in lying to people.
Old 08-02-2009, 17:26   #304
Give, give, give member

To quote a factual report that featured in the national press, isn't lying.

No matter how much you seem to get in a dreadful tizz about it.

Please try to keep the thread relevant to it's subject, that of the recently voted for increased allowances.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:32   #305

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2009, 17:37   #306

Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry Garinda for going off topic - just hoping Andrew will answer the misreprentation of this year's Council Tax announcement.

I can state,unequivocally, that I will not claim any of the increased subsistence allowance, if ever I go on any offical Council duties.

Last edited by claytonender; 08-02-2009 at 17:42.
Old 08-02-2009, 17:42   #307
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry Garinda for going off topic - just hoping Andrew will answer the misreprentation of this year's Council Tax announcement. I can state,unequivocally, that II will not claim any of the increased subsistence allowance, if ever I go on any offical Council duties.
Be my guest.

It's quite clear to all that he's not answering your question, despite numerous requests.

Perhaps his earpiece has interference because of the snow, and isn't working properly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 17:45   #308
God Member

Quote:
lancsdave I am sorry that I can not link you to the 2007 article. They worked out the figures for all councils and they listed a load of data. They worked out that Hyndburn council tax, for band D, was 8.1% of the average income. Obviously most people do not live in band D housing in the borough, 80% of people live in band A & B. They live in band A & B because we have a fairly low average salary, makes sense right? So when you compare a low average salary, from people who mainly live in band A&B, but with band D, its very, very, misleading. Therefore it was wrong for Labour to claim that we had the most expensive council tax, and its wrong of them to continue saying it. I know they want to get elected, and have good intentions, but I don't believe in lying to people.

You have missed the point. You dispute the report when it suits and happy to accept it when it suits. Presumably you have checked all 10 on your list are reported correctly ?
Old 08-02-2009, 17:53   #309
God Member

Quote:
You have missed the point. You dispute the report when it suits and happy to accept it when it suits. Presumably you have checked all 10 on your list are reported correctly ?
I never disputed the figures from either report, both used correct figures. However as I explained in my other post, the 2007 one compared Band D council tax, when people mostly live in A&B here. What I dispute is Labour councillors misleading the public by interpreting those figures in an incorrect manner to try and win votes, as its a complex issue and they are trying to fool people.
Old 08-02-2009, 17:54   #310

Quote:
That is a very pertinent point Lancs Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 18:10   #311
God Member

Quote:
What I dispute is Labour councillors misleading the public by interpreting those figures in an incorrect manner to try and win votes, as its a complex issue and they are trying to fool people.
I agree, it would be even worse if those same labour councillors informed people the council tax increase is only half of what it will be. After all the Conversatives wouldn't stoop so low
Old 08-02-2009, 18:11   #312
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Andrew -

I notice you are still ignoring the 'misleading' information Peter Britcliffe gave out at last Wednesday's Cabinet meeting about the rise in Council Tax for 2009/10 for only being 3.6% (and not informing the meeting that this included the other precepting authorities figures).See
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Cabinet.pdf
page 38 clearly shows that the proposal is for Hyndburn's share of the Council Tax is to raise by 7% (and before you say it is a typographical error - I have doubled checked all the figures - for the rise in all bands for Hyndburn's share of the Counil Tax).

Do you think is wrong for the Leader of the Council to give misleading information to the Council Tax payers of Hyndburn?
Council tax will go up by 3.6%.
Old 08-02-2009, 18:15   #313
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Please try to keep the thread relevant to it's subject, that of the recently voted for increased allowances.
Ahem .. was expenses was it not ? Was you that started all this by using the wrong word of 'allowances' in the first place..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 18:29   #314

Quote:
Council tax will go up by 3.6%.
Can you explain why the figure for precept that is Hyndburn's portion of the Council Tax is 7% (a per report to Cabinet on 5 February 2009) page 38 of the following report.
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...to_Cabinet.pdf

The corresponding figures for the other precepts are Lancashire Police Authority ( estimated at 4%) Lanachire Fire and Rescue Service (estimated at 4.24%) and Lancashire County Council (estimated at 2.9%).

Just to prove I have my maths correct for Band A properties (other than in the parish of Altham - which sets an extra precept) the increase in the amount levied by Hyndburn will be £10.25 per annum. 2008-09 was £146.43 and it is proposed (as per this report ) for 2009*10 to be £156.58. £10.25 divided by £146.43 gives an increase of 7%.

Or can you definitely state that precept levied by Hyndburn Borough Council will be 3.6%.
Old 08-02-2009, 18:32   #315
Resting in Peace

Oh well, now they have started, best to let them finish I guess.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..