Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2011, 19:00   #76
Super Moderator

Re: Accy clubs in 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He might go a join um Wyn, that is if he can find just a little time in his very tight schedule
Cashy, Ken and Florrie shooting the breeze on the deck...that's be a sight worth seeing!!
Old 27-06-2011, 19:51   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought it was later n that when the cavern opened, i left school easter 63, am near sure it wasn't open that year, perhaps Darwendosser can remember?
The Cavern club was open when I joined the forces in 1959, I am sure of that.
A new recruit who became a mate of mine was from Liverpool and he talked about it, we parted company in 1960 when he got a new posting.

The Beatles played there sometime in 1961.
Old 27-06-2011, 19:59   #78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The Cavern club was open when I joined the forces in 1959, I am sure of that.
A new recruit who became a mate of mine was from Liverpool and he talked about it, we parted company in 1960 when he got a new posting.

The Beatles played there sometime in 1961.
Wrong Cavern, mate. We're talking about the Cavern Club that was on the corner of Milnshaw Lane and Castle Street in Accrington.
Old 28-06-2011, 07:16   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wrong Cavern, mate. We're talking about the Cavern Club that was on the corner of Milnshaw Lane and Castle Street in Accrington.
My most humble and sincere apologies, little did I know that Accrington had a Cavern Club.

I am still classed as a newcomer to the town and was not aware of it's past.

Must try harder.

Below is a photo from one of my old railway magazines, the Cavern Club must have been down at the bottom just out of the shot.

Old 28-06-2011, 07:58   #80
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing that, Gremlin. A superb shot that really brings back the memories!
Old 29-06-2011, 08:57   #81

Saw John Mayall In Launceston in March, not very often we get Legends like him here in Tassie, we usually have to go to Melbourne, but thats only an hours flight away, anyway,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:45   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

slightly out gremlin, the cavern was on castle street, roughly were the Tax office was, thats a great pic of Milnshaw Lane.
Old 05-02-2015, 21:46   #83

Have just stumbled upon this very old thread and remember the Arcs and the Cavern. I remember watching the Warriors at the Arcs - Johnny going on to be Jon Anderson of Yes.
I noticed the reference to Brian Boyd and remembered him being one of the local heartthrobs. I googled his name out of curiosity and found a funeral notice for a Brisn H Boyd from Oswaldtwistle who would have been the right age.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:09   #84

The arcadian on Knowlmere St. was run by Clifford and Eleanor Davidson late fifties early sixties.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 15:38   #85
Junior Member+

Hello can you tell me you took the photo its very good...my use it in a project so credit it. Cheers Dave
daveyesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37   #86
Junior Member+

Champion jack Dupree played at the cavern .He used to be a boxer,, hence his name
I remember him saying .." the reason he was black was because he used to moon bathe".
mikeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41   #87
Junior Member+

Jon Andersons nephew worked for me in the Disc and Tape he left me to work for walker farrimond volvo.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:42   #88
Junior Member+

I love this photo.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..