Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2012, 08:50   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Professor Nutt/Imperial College London Professor David J Nutt is involved I think it may be his baby, as that is what his department do on a regular basis; investigate and reasearch the effects of various drugs on people to see if there are any benefits to be gained from them etc.
Think you must have a thing about this Prof Nutt, you keep harping on about him, would his hero worshipers be Nutcases
Old 25-09-2012, 08:51   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I would like to put forward that Less, Jaysay and Cashman all volunteer to be participants in the audience

Ya i'd make a quick exit to mate
Old 25-09-2012, 10:15   #48
Beacon of light

Quote:
The point is society bangs on about MDMA as being dangerous yet our GP's are prescribing drugs on a daily basis that dont' do what they are supposed to do and in many cases make people worse and can make people suicidal.

Warning: Antidepressants May Lead to Suicidal Tendencies
Well I have been retired from the NHS for 10 years and it was known about then.............the interesting word in the link is MAY.
Some anti-depressants help some people.......like some anti hypertensives work better on some patients.
In medicine there is no 'one size fits all' no matter what the drug companies might have you believe.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 10:16   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well I have been retired from the NHS for 10 years and it was known about then.............the interesting word in the link is MAY.
Some anti-depressants help some people.......like some anti hypertensives work better on some patients.
In medicine there is no 'one size fits all' no matter what the drug companies might have you believe.
Ya Margaret nobody knows that better than me
Old 25-09-2012, 10:22   #50
Beacon of light

As Sue says, there are drugs out there which were formulated for one purpose and they were useless for that purpose(for whatever reason.....i.e, they didn't do what they were supposed to, or had other effects that were damaging.etc, etc) but were found to be useful in other areas of medicine...maybe at different doses or formats.
I have nothing at all against MDMA being used for medical purposes...under supervision/prescription, but am against it being taken for recreational purposes......where the person using it has not been assessed by a medical practitioner. In this respect it is an unknown quantity...you just do not know how the person will react to it. The other difficulty with recreational drugs is that they support a whole raft of criminal activities....and because the pushers want to make more money the drug is adulterated with all kinds of substances...which in themselves may be harmful when taken.
Old 25-09-2012, 10:38   #51
Resting In Peace

Quote:
About 6 years ago there was a big hoohah about anti-depressants not working, there were reports in all the papers like the Independant claiming this as fact.

There was also a program on TV around similar time that gave evidence that a lot of people commit suicide after being put on anti-depressants such as Seroxat, by GP's in America and this country.

These issues now seem to have been swept under the carpet.
Quote:
The point is society bangs on about MDMA as being dangerous yet our GP's are prescribing drugs on a daily basis that dont' do what they are supposed to do and in many cases make people worse and can make people suicidal.

Warning: Antidepressants May Lead to Suicidal Tendencies
Yes that Panorama prog about Seroxat was a few years ago now.

Several points can be made about that drug and others that are used for similar conditions. Some apply to other drugs in general as well
  • Even the largest and best structured clinical trial cannot hope to discover all side effects in all people. Only use of a drug in the wider community can find these out
  • Would you rather have depression or take a pill to try and help it? The taking of any drug carries risks and consequences
  • You don't hear from folks who have used the drug successfully
  • While people may expect the drug to be an instant fix, these things take time to enter the system. This may account for the initial occurrence of anxiety, suicidal tendencies etc which may be caused by the drug or by the underlying condition which has not yet been affected by the drug. These effects should clear up as the drug is continued
  • For similar reasons the drug should not be stopped suddenly but come off gradually so that its effects on the mind and body can be controlled
  • Some of the unwanted effects of the drug may be due to reactions with other medications or treatments
  • Other antidepressants have side effects too, it would probably be impossible to design a drug that was totally free of them
  • As the link in Kes's post suggests, other substances have been linked to increased suicide risk as a side effect
So the drug continues to be prescribed and appears to have fewer side effects than older antidepressants. Only further research and trials may lead to anything safer and better tolerated.

On a personal level, and slightly off the subject of mind altering drugs, some Accywebbers may know that at the moment I am undergoing a course of chemotherapy. The possible known side effects of the drugs used were pointed out to me at the start and it has been interesting to note how and when these occur during treatment. As I mentioned above in respect of Seroxat, the drugs take time to work their way in to the system and the side effects show up when this has happened. They may be unpleasant and unpredictable but at least they show something is going on and anything unusual will be reported and added to the volume of data known about such substances. So our knowledge increases.
Old 25-09-2012, 10:42   #52
Beacon of light

Seroxat was also used in a trial of Breast cancer sufferers who were on Tamoxifen.
a lot of the ladies on Tamoxifen reported serious menopausla symptoms.......seroxat was used to diminsh these effecst with good results.
Spot on Post Sue.
We continue to learn by people using these drugs....under medical supervision.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:27   #53
Resting In Peace

Quote:
As Sue says, there are drugs out there which were formulated for one purpose and they were useless for that purpose(for whatever reason.....i.e, they didn't do what they were supposed to, or had other effects that were damaging.etc, etc) but were found to be useful in other areas of medicine...maybe at different doses or formats.
I have nothing at all against MDMA being used for medical purposes...under supervision/prescription, but am against it being taken for recreational purposes......where the person using it has not been assessed by a medical practitioner. In this respect it is an unknown quantity...you just do not know how the person will react to it. The other difficulty with recreational drugs is that they support a whole raft of criminal activities....and because the pushers want to make more money the drug is adulterated with all kinds of substances...which in themselves may be harmful when taken.
People have been using psychotropic drugs since the dawn of time and it has been argued that altered states of consciousness have led to the birth of religions and culture.

The fact that science today can come up with new substances with these properties means that there will always be new experiences to try and there will always be people who want to experiment with them, as there have always been.

Surely the fact that illegal drugs support criminal activities is an argument for removing this connection by removing bans. Then substances could be sold under controls such as apply to alcohol and tobacco and the pushers would not have the upper hand. Then individuals would be free to decide for themselves whether or not to partake of any particular drug - as they do with alcohol and tobacco. The harm they may do to themselves, or not, would be up to them.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:32   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya i'd make a quick exit to mate
I would like to see you (and the other 3) tied down on TV and injected with recreational drugs!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:55   #55
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I would like to see you (and the other 3) tied down on TV and injected with recreational drugs!
You do put forward a good argument for Euthanasia.

Quote:
Like a cat with 9 lives!
Somehow I suspect that if you are like that cat you must be on your last life by now, so post carefully.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:58   #56
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
People have been using psychotropic drugs since the dawn of time and it has been argued that altered states of consciousness have led to the birth of religions and culture.

The fact that science today can come up with new substances with these properties means that there will always be new experiences to try and there will always be people who want to experiment with them, as there have always been.

Surely the fact that illegal drugs support criminal activities is an argument for removing this connection by removing bans. Then substances could be sold under controls such as apply to alcohol and tobacco and the pushers would not have the upper hand. Then individuals would be free to decide for themselves whether or not to partake of any particular drug - as they do with alcohol and tobacco. The harm they may do to themselves, or not, would be up to them.
I'm not entirely sure that legalising them would remove the criminal element.
The government would slap a tax on these recreational drugs...and then there would be those(criminals) who would try to sell them from illicit sources.....people would buy to circumvent the system, and so that they didn't feel like they were paying tax...I think most people like to feel they can steal a march on government taxes......duty free cigarettes are a rpime example of this.......I know people who have come back from Spain(or any other overseas destination with suitcases full of cigarettes/tobacco and booze.

The only advantage I can see for legalising recreational drugs is to improve the purity.......and regulate how they are sold. I'm still not in favour.
Old 25-09-2012, 14:27   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure that legalising them would remove the criminal element.
The government would slap a tax on these recreational drugs...and then there would be those(criminals) who would try to sell them from illicit sources.....people would buy to circumvent the system, and so that they didn't feel like they were paying tax...I think most people like to feel they can steal a march on government taxes......duty free cigarettes are a rpime example of this.......I know people who have come back from Spain(or any other overseas destination with suitcases full of cigarettes/tobacco and booze.

The only advantage I can see for legalising recreational drugs is to improve the purity.......and regulate how they are sold. I'm still not in favour.
I think it's a very difficult problem really. If they are legalised then people will take that as a sign it's alright to take them, but society doesn't want to give out that message.

Then if it is legalised what does that mean? That sources where they come from now will still be in place? Or will the gangs in operation now be stopped by the Police - so that problem would not go away over night! Or will the government allow private companies to manufacture them for quality control. That could mean higher prices. Higher prices then could mean that criminals still have a market for cheaper drugs, that are impure - then kids still will die from taking stuff that is not pure. So it just becomes a savage circle - with no solution.

I really don't know what the answer is?

Anyone seen this film "Altered States" about a Professor experimenting on himself taking magic mushrooms in an isolation tank. Directed by Ken Russell - I saw it in the early 80's at the pictures - here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=40FiMy-ak0k

Last edited by kestrelx; 25-09-2012 at 14:33.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:55   #58
Beacon of light

so the situation is still fraught with problems whatever approach is taken.
Old 25-09-2012, 15:35   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

I really don't know what the answer is?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 17:43   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That just about your barrow moron

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..