Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2012, 20:40   #31
Resting In Peace

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Scientific or not. I've already seen the effects of it. I don't feel the need to watch strangers take it.
As I haven't had that dubious pleasure, that is why I am going to watch it.

Quote:
If they wanted it to be real scentific they should give them various ones from the street, totally random and document the possible horrible effects that MDMA and whatever horrible things they might mix with it(like ketamine) has on people. It might open some eyes.
There may be a whole series in there, but it does take cash to carry out these experiments and trials. This one took six months and involved use of expensive equipment.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:10   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
More than one I suspect...
Now that possibility would never have occurred to me, only being a peasant, Must be great to have a scientific mind.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:29   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
I had hoped this thread wouldn't turn into a "have you had it" kind of thread. But. Now that we have crossed that line....

Scientific or not. I've already seen the effects of it. I don't feel the need to watch strangers take it.

If they wanted it to be real scentific they should give them various ones from the street, totally random and document the possible horrible effects that MDMA and whatever horrible things they might mix with it(like ketamine) has on people. It might open some eyes.

Have I took it. Not at all. Never would. There are a few factors to why I never.
  • I can't stand rave music
  • I don't like dancing
  • I am not a "touchy-feely-huggy" person
  • Seeing other people and the various ways they acted(one guy just laid on the floor in the bathroom and threatened to kill anybody that entered)
Well no thanks
Thing is the drug was around before Rave music, it only became associated with that scene, so just because it has doesn't mean that is all it is. As for the guy who lay on the floor making threats - there are a multitude of reasons why he behaved that way.

Also just because criminals cut the drug with other things such as Ketamine, which I heard damages the bladder after long term use, doesn't mean much. The program is to research pure uncontaminated MDMA - not stuff off the street, cut with god knows what!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:33   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:

There may be a whole series in there, but it does take cash to carry out these experiments and trials. This one took six months and involved use of expensive equipment.
Professor Nutt/Imperial College London http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/people/d.nutt/ is involved I think it may be his baby, as that is what his department do on a regular basis; investigate and reasearch the effects of various drugs on people to see if there are any benefits to be gained from them etc.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:38   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie
I have a feeling they will have pure MDNA. The effects of which would probably differ substantially from what was being sold when I was 18(1996)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie
If the act of taking the drug is Illegal. Wouldn't they have to be in a country where it is legal to perform this test? I would be interested to read your take on it. The MRI results etc.

Coincidence-- I was watching an episode of QI earlier and it came up on there on there...

Quote:
It was designed by the Germans to heal wounds during WWI.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:44   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have a feeling they will have pure MDNA. The effects of which would probably differ substantially from what was being sold when I was 18(1996)

If the act of taking the drug is Illegal. Wouldn't they have to be in a country where it is legal to perform this test? I would be interested to read your take on it. The MRI results etc.

Coincidence-- I was watching an episode of QI earlier and it came up on there on there...
Yes in 96 it was all different to what it was in 80's and early 90's.

Certain researchers like Prof Nutt are licensed by the Government to carry out such experiments/research in the name of Medical Research etc. So it is legal.
Old 24-09-2012, 21:56   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Professor Nutt/Imperial College London Professor David J Nutt is involved I think it may be his baby, as that is what his department do on a regular basis; investigate and reasearch the effects of various drugs on people to see if there are any benefits to be gained from them etc.
He puts his case here:
Is it right to take ecstasy in a TV trial? | David Nutt and Julia Manning | Comment is free | The Guardian

And it's not to late to join in the debate:

Got a strong opinion on MDMA? Keen to share a story about the drug? Renegade Pictures are looking for audience members for Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial  a groundbreaking scientific series presented by Jon Snow and Dr Christian Jessen, with Professors David Nutt and Val Curran.
You might have taken MDMA before, be anti-drugs or just interested in the politics& we're keen to hear a broad range of views.
If you're interested in joining the live studio discussion and are available on 26 or 27 September:
*Send an email to [email protected], with your name, telephone number, age, dates available, location and tell us why you want to be involved.
*Add "Audience" to the subject line.
Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial takes place over two shows on 26 and 27 September. It follows carefully vetted volunteers as they take MDMA as part of Professors Nutt and Curran's scientific study.
Old 24-09-2012, 22:07   #38
Senior Member+

I would like to put forward that Less, Jaysay and Cashman all volunteer to be participants in the audience

Old 24-09-2012, 22:13   #39
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I would be interested to read your take on it. The MRI results etc.
Well let's watch the programmes first and see what we can come up with.

Chemistry and pharmacology often come up with compounds that end up having a totally different use from that which they were first synthesised for, that's one of the fascinating things about research. For example, thalidomide, which had such terrible effects when used to treat morning sickness in pregnancy in the 1950s/60s, is now used to treat leprosy and as a cancer chemotherapy treatment.

I'd love to be starting a career in science again knowing what I know now, so many exciting things have emerged in the last forty years.
Old 24-09-2012, 22:14   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I would like to put forward that Less, Jaysay and Cashman all volunteer to be participants in the audience

Why when i clearly said i aint really interested, yeh trying to bore me to death?
Old 24-09-2012, 22:36   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Why when i clearly said i aint really interested, yeh trying to bore me to death?
For my amusement.
Old 24-09-2012, 22:45   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well let's watch the programmes first and see what we can come up with.

Chemistry and pharmacology often come up with compounds that end up having a totally different use from that which they were first synthesised for, that's one of the fascinating things about research. For example, thalidomide, which had such terrible effects when used to treat morning sickness in pregnancy in the 1950s/60s, is now used to treat leprosy and as a cancer chemotherapy treatment.

I'd love to be starting a career in science again knowing what I know now, so many exciting things have emerged in the last forty years.
About 6 years ago there was a big hoohah about anti-depressants not working, there were reports in all the papers like the Independant claiming this as fact.

There was also a program on TV around similar time that gave evidence that a lot of people commit suicide after being put on anti-depressants such as Seroxat, by GP's in America and this country.

These issues now seem to have been swept under the carpet.

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-09-2012 at 22:48.
Old 24-09-2012, 23:46   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
About 6 years ago there was a big hoohah about anti-depressants not working, there were reports in all the papers like the Independant claiming this as fact.

There was also a program on TV around similar time that gave evidence that a lot of people commit suicide after being put on anti-depressants such as Seroxat, by GP's in America and this country.

These issues now seem to have been swept under the carpet.
The point is society bangs on about MDMA as being dangerous yet our GP's are prescribing drugs on a daily basis that dont' do what they are supposed to do and in many cases make people worse and can make people suicidal.

Warning: Antidepressants May Lead to Suicidal Tendencies
Old 25-09-2012, 08:44   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
No
Me neither
Old 25-09-2012, 08:46   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I had hoped this thread wouldn't turn into a "have you had it" kind of thread. But. Now that we have crossed that line....

Have I took it. Not at all. Never would. There are a few factors to why I never.
  • I can't stand rave music
  • I don't like dancing
  • I am not a "touchy-feely-huggy" person
  • Seeing other people and the various ways they acted(one guy just laid on the floor in the bathroom and threatened to kill anybody that entered)
Well no thanks
Head Nail Hit

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..