Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2012, 14:40   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well I for one will be watching these programmes (there are two, one Wed and one Thurs), Keith Allen or no Keith Allen. It looks to me to be more science than sensationalism and as a scientist I shall be interested in the results and conclusion. I've never taken recreational drugs nor am I likely to but I'm still interested in learning more about the subject. It's all to easy to close the mind to such things but a few more facts can't be a bad thing before considering the evidence, even if it doesn't change one's mind.

I don't envy the participants if they have to spend too much time in a MRI scanner - not an altogether pleasant experience.

From the TV guide:

Two live programmes which follow volunteers as they take MDMA, the pure form of ecstasy, as part of a scientific study... The first live programme unravels the mysteries of MDMA, revealing how the drug affects the brain. The six-month long neuroscience study, designed by two leading experts on MDMA, uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine how MDMA affects the resting brain in healthy volunteers. The programme also looks at the potential side-effects and dangers of taking MDMA and includes a discussion with an expert who disagrees with the study and is sceptical about its purpose.

The second live programme investigates the implications of a scientific study of the effects of MDMA, including potential clinical uses such as whether it could offer a breakthrough in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The programme discovers what recreational users can learn from the trial before discussing MDMA's classification as a Class A drug and possible long-term effects.

The Daily Mail is concerned that the programme may encourage drug use but I think it's a brave attempt by Channel 4 to throw a bit more light on the subject.

Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial: Pioneering science -- or a cynical new low from Channel 4? | Mail Online

Actually I'd have quite liked to have taken part...
Very well said Sue. What I don't get is why is finding out the facts about something so offensive to people like the Daily Mail? It seems to them it's OK to spread possible misinformation to put people off, rather than have a proper scientific investigation and clarify the facts.

MDMA was legal in the USA till about 1985 and in the late 70's and early 80's was used by hip Psychotherapists in that country and people reported miracle results in breaking down marriage problems etc. As the drug gets people talking in a way they would not without taking it. It was made illegal around late 85 and Psychotherapists were not allowed to use it anymore.

I havn't tried to get any, but from what I've picked up from the Internet and news reports etc - it's very hard to get pure MDMA now, the drugs dealers call it MDMA but it's not pure, it's cut with other things - which is actually more dangerous. Also the chemical MDMA is made from, is taken form trees that grow in the Rainforests of places like Brazil, Malaysia and the drug enforcement agencies are very successful at stopping gangs getting their hands on it. Either stealing it from legit chemists or they pay local tribes to break down the trees and extract the chemicals on site. Either way drug enforcement, are stopping the gangs who make the drug getting their hands on the raw materials. But that doesn't stop the gangs using other chemicals and calling it MDMA anyway.

You are right about the MRI scanner I certainly wouldn't want to spend 90mins in one, especially under the influence, when body movement is restricted.

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-09-2012 at 14:48.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2012, 14:45   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its not offensive to me in the slightest, i'm just not interested as i already said, But after denying it all these years, i'm beginning to wonder seriously if there is a clique on accyweb.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:05   #18
God Member

I regard synthetic drugs as a form of pollution of the mind and body.

My interest is with natural plant chemicals.
I have just watched a documentary about -
Ayahuasca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I didn't have an old wrecked body I would like to experience that.

It provides healing as well as spiritual enlightenment. There is a woman shown as having severe Parkinsons symptoms before, and smooth rhythmic movement after.

DMT is produced naturally in the body. Taking this herbal brew adds more, and lets it linger to produce an effect.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:15   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

It provides healing as well as spiritual enlightenment. There is a woman shown as having severe Parkinsons symptoms before, and smooth rhythmic movement after.

DMT is produced naturally in the body. Taking this herbal brew adds more, and lets it linger to produce an effect.
Well cannabis, heroin and cocaine all come from plants as well...
Old 24-09-2012, 15:23   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well cannabis, heroin and cocaine all come from plants as well...
I am aware of that, but they have been 'processed'.
I have experienced home grown natural cannabis , but none of the adulterated junk.

Unless you regard tea brewing as a 'process' the Ayahuaski is natural.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:31   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:

Have you read Graham Hancock "Supernatural; meetings with the ancient teachers of mankind." In which the book starts with him taking that drug; Ayahuasca.

Ibogaine is one I read a lot about.
Ibogaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they use it and it's highly effective for curing heroine addiction over night - it sends the user into a dream world in which they meet the cause of their addictions.

The experts say that the pineal gland which we all have produces DMT and that is why we all dream, though some of us don't remember them, DMT was available as a recreational drug - though I've never tried it.

It makes sense that when we were still hunter gatherers we must have started taking these magic mushrooms and other herbs and plants, by accident and then deliberatly knowing it would effect our minds.

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-09-2012 at 15:36.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:36   #22
God Member

I have read Graham Hancock's first novel Entangled, which he says is based on his ayahuasca experience.

It had a theme of time travel and metamorphosis/morphing but as a novel was disappointing - it didn't have an ending.

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-09-2012 at 15:39.
Old 24-09-2012, 15:46   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have read Graham Hancock's first novel Entangled, which he says is based on his ayahuasca experience.

It had a theme of time travel and metamorphosis/morphing but as a novel was disappointing - it didn't have an ending.
Never read it. The one I mentioned is factual and asking the question what made mankind suddenly develop art and culture about 50,000 years ago.

I read most of the Carlos Casteneda books.
Old 24-09-2012, 17:36   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Well I won't be watching as I have no interest in taking drugs legal or otherwise.Unfortunately I have to take strong painkillers for a medical condition(morphine.liquid and tablet)
I'm with you on that one Beni, its bad enough take tabs etc for medical conditions never mind just for kicks
Old 24-09-2012, 18:09   #25
Senior Member+

Well I wont be going out of my way to watch it. If there is nothing on the TV...perhaps. But thinking about it. I have seen people take this in my youth and Its annoying.
Old 24-09-2012, 18:39   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well I wont be going out of my way to watch it. If there is nothing on the TV...perhaps. But thinking about it. I have seen people take this in my youth and Its annoying.
Have you never? Anyway it will all be very scientific, they won't be dancing around to music, I wouldn't think.
Old 24-09-2012, 18:55   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Have you never? Anyway it will all be very scientific, they won't be dancing around to music, I wouldn't think.
Not like the old days hey
Old 24-09-2012, 19:53   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
But after denying it all these years, i'm beginning to wonder seriously if there is a clique on accyweb.
More than one I suspect...
Old 24-09-2012, 20:09   #29
JFT96

Quote:
But do you like his daughter?
No

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 20:32   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
I had hoped this thread wouldn't turn into a "have you had it" kind of thread. But. Now that we have crossed that line....

Scientific or not. I've already seen the effects of it. I don't feel the need to watch strangers take it.

If they wanted it to be real scentific they should give them various ones from the street, totally random and document the possible horrible effects that MDMA and whatever horrible things they might mix with it(like ketamine) has on people. It might open some eyes.

Have I took it. Not at all. Never would. There are a few factors to why I never.
  • I can't stand rave music
  • I don't like dancing
  • I am not a "touchy-feely-huggy" person
  • Seeing other people and the various ways they acted(one guy just laid on the floor in the bathroom and threatened to kill anybody that entered)
Well no thanks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..