Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2012, 08:51   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Drugs Live; the Ecstasy Trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Civilize or Civilise, according to the Oxford concise English dictionary gentlemen.

1. To raise from barbarism to an enlightened stage of development; bring out of a primitive or savage state.
2. To educate in matters of culture and refinement; make more polished or sophisticated.

And you pair are arguing the toss ???
I'm not arguing Dave, just that birdie said I'd spelt something wrong yet he'd spelt it just the same way, I always thought that using z in a lot of words is Americanisation, we tend to use s instead of z in a lot of things, across the pond Americanisation is spelt Americanization for example
Old 28-09-2012, 10:01   #92
Resting in Peace

Almost 2 million watched Drugs Live TV show that 'lends a dangerous air of acceptability to the drug' | Mail Online

It would appear I'm not the only one who thought is program was a load of tosh, and a very dangerous road to go down, portraying drugs like ecstasy as okay
Old 28-09-2012, 18:24   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Almost 2 million watched Drugs Live TV show that 'lends a dangerous air of acceptability to the drug' | Mail Online

It would appear I'm not the only one who thought is program was a load of tosh, and a very dangerous road to go down, portraying drugs like ecstasy as okay
did it portray ecstasy as OK ? I didn't watch it
Old 28-09-2012, 18:33   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Well obviously I didn't watch it Restless, but it sounds like they did
Old 28-09-2012, 18:42   #95
Resting In Peace

Answer to that is yes and no. Read my post 88.
Old 29-09-2012, 16:28   #96
Resting In Peace

Well it seems that drug use is falling, despite the DM's scaremongering about programmes like Channel 4's this week...

Illicit drugs appear to be 'going out of fashion' as figures reveal record decline in usage | This is Money
Old 29-09-2012, 17:43   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I thought the theme music was a bit too "ravey", suggesting it was aimed at younger people. The music could have been more series.

It didn't portray it as OK really - there were a couple of Professionals who were adamant that it wasn't OK! Which is suppose is to conteract the 2 who throught it wasn't as harmful as we have been lead to believe. It covered all bases and gave an over view - positive and negative of the drug.

As I said it before, this drug hadn't played such a large part in the rave scene then I don't think we'd be even discussing it in this way.

Latest research is suggesting that tried and tested sleeping pills and tranquilisers may cause dementia!

Dementia risk from sleeping tablets: Pensioners on pills taken by 1.5m are 50% more likely to be hit, warns Harvard study | Mail Online

Last edited by kestrelx; 29-09-2012 at 17:48.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:48   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Will not be watching, because I have a life and I cannot stand Keith Allen, who is up his own @@@@
I agree with you about Keith Allen (and did before you wrote it) however in the program he was very arrogant and claimed the drug didn't work for him as he'd done it so many times before over the years.
Old 29-09-2012, 19:01   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I agree with you about Keith Allen (and did before you wrote it) however in the program he was very arrogant and claimed the drug didn't work for him as he'd done it so many times before over the years.
Fortunately he was on screen for a very short time... No apparent celeb cult in this programme. Real people including a doctor/ex MP, a priest and the deputy editor of New Scientist, total participants 25.

Actually didn't notice the music as such, probably because I was already irritated by the frenetic tone of the programme, cutting here and there and leaping about the studio, probably as you say to appeal to a younger crowd.
Old 02-10-2012, 00:41   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Fortunately he was on screen for a very short time... No apparent celeb cult in this programme. Real people including a doctor/ex MP, a priest and the deputy editor of New Scientist, total participants 25.

Actually didn't notice the music as such, probably because I was already irritated by the frenetic tone of the programme, cutting here and there and leaping about the studio, probably as you say to appeal to a younger crowd.
He was on for a short time but his opinion was scrutinised. The ex MP also seemed a bit stiff and resilliant to the drug as was the soldier.

Also there was a bit that informed us how MDMA is made and made it sound really simple. I found this page posted of instructions of how to make it and the chemicals and equipment needed.

Doctor Drool's MDMA Synthesis - [www.rhodium.ws]

No way would your average individual be able to achieve this. But the program suggested it was easy.

Also Snow seemed a bit doddery and at one point seemed to be shaking his head for no reason, perhaps he'd been slipped one?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06   #101
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Also there was a bit that informed us how MDMA is made and made it sound really simple. I found this page posted of instructions of how to make it and the chemicals and equipment needed.

Doctor Drool's MDMA Synthesis - [www.rhodium.ws]

No way would your average individual be able to achieve this. But the program suggested it was easy.
Thanks for that Kes, made me quite nostalgic for the lab! Over forty years ago I got a PhD in organic chemistry but I'm not sure I'd want to attempt any of that at home. This bit from one of the linked documents made me laugh:

Gas began to come out of the dispersion tube, which I immersed in the toluene filtrate. Absolutely nothing had happened after several minutes and I was convinced I had totally f---ed up. Then a wisp here and there of white material started to appear, and within 30 seconds there were giant clouds of puffy MDMA HCl cascading out of solution. I nearly s--- my pants.

Quote:
Also Snow seemed a bit doddery and at one point seemed to be shaking his head for no reason, perhaps he'd been slipped one?
I noticed that he was not quite on the ball at one stage, I put it down to technical problems with the microphone or something, but you may be right!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17   #102
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks for that Kes, made me quite nostalgic for the lab! Over forty years ago I got a PhD in organic chemistry but I'm not sure I'd want to attempt any of that at home. This bit from one of the linked documents made me laugh:

Gas began to come out of the dispersion tube, which I immersed in the toluene filtrate. Absolutely nothing had happened after several minutes and I was convinced I had totally f---ed up. Then a wisp here and there of white material started to appear, and within 30 seconds there were giant clouds of puffy MDMA HCl cascading out of solution. I nearly s--- my pants.

I noticed that he was not quite on the ball at one stage, I put it down to technical problems with the microphone or something, but you may be right!
I studied a lot of articles about MDMA as research for a novel idea I have, but I wouldn't like to try making it, I don't think you can get the chemicals without attracting the attention of the Police unless you was working in the chemistry industry or a criminal.

But you Sue with a PhD in Organic Chemistry could probably turn your hand to it! It is a fascinating subject.

This video features the guy who re-discovered MDMA and could be labelled as the man who is responsible for the whole thing?

P.S. some of the video was used in the TV program.

Last edited by kestrelx; 02-10-2012 at 09:24.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24   #103
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I studied a lot of articles about MDMA as research for a novel idea I have, but I wouldn't like to try making it, I don't think you can get the chemicals without attracting the attention of the Police unless you was working in the chemistry industry or a criminal.

But you Sue with a PhD in Organic Chemistry could probably turn your hand to it! It is a fascinating subject.
Well I could do it - with a lot of trial and error but I'm not sure my kitchen (or I) would ever be the same again! Prefer cookery to chemstry these days. But I did understand the synthesis and the method, which is a good start.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well I could do it - with a lot of trial and error but I'm not sure my kitchen (or I) would ever be the same again! Prefer cookery to chemstry these days. But I did understand the synthesis and the method, which is a good start.
That's very good - but you wouldn't be able to get your hands on the key ingredient; safrole!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43   #105
Resting In Peace

Quote:
That's very good - but you wouldn't be able to get your hands on the key ingredient; safrole!
Yes you can buy the sassafras oil in tiny bottles containing about 4ml each but as you need about a pint it would look mighty suspicious if you tried to buy that many bottles!

So that knocks the whole thing on the head then... pity, I was just about to start sourcing glassware!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..