Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2009, 09:43   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Britannia Crossroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You two do talk a load of crap at times.

Dorothy was chairperson at most of the planning meetings re. Britannia, and would have done her utmost to see that this project was done to suit all residents in the area. Don't think it matters whether she lives there or not, only 10 minutes drive away, and issues no different than they are in Clayton. A road in trouble is nationwide.

Nowt to do with elections Jaysay ! Has been going on for months ... always political to you, ain' it ?

Forward Planning ?... suspect this is one controversial road improvement that has had the heaviest forward planning ever, in order to get it right. Who doesn't 'care a stuff' about Ossy ? .. Ossy gets lots of attention. !
Its bound to be political when politicians are involved kate, so Dorothy was Chairman (I bloody hate this PC chairperson malarkey) I'd sooner see somebody with an engineering background, its like putting me in the Chair of the local knitting group, a bit useless really
Old 26-04-2009, 12:38   #47
God Member

Re: Brittania Crossroads

I like Dorothy a lot and I'm sure she's got the best intentions in mind for Ossy but the fact is she doesn't live there. I think a councillor should live in the ward they represent - I think an important part of being a councillor is representing your neighbours and trying to benefit your own area.

I was offered the opportunity of standing for a 'safer' seat but it wasn't the one I live in. I strongly believe that you need to live in your own constituency to be able to represent but Jaysay before you have a go at Cllr Westwell for not living in her constituency take a look at the Conservative party on HBC - they don't all live in their own ward, do they?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 12:51   #48
God Member

it could be taking so long because the land up there may be prone to water logging and extra precautions have to be taken to prevent the new road surface crumbleing away or other geological matters

if time was wasted sorting out buying the land needed to expand teh road for teh roundabout yu can hardly blame teh land owners holding out for as much money as they can because i sure would if somone wanted to buy my land - that is if this is teh case anyway

or it could just be teh old classic leaning on shovels too long lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 26-04-2009 at 12:54.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 13:31   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So would you like to explain why the work on the ground started in November 2008 and will not finish until June 2009.

They could have put a third lane on the M65 in that time.
No idea Neil .. not privy to the schedule of works, just pointing out that this was the estimated time it would take before the project started .... not delayed (as yet LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its bound to be political when politicians are involved kate, so Dorothy was Chairman (I bloody hate this PC chairperson malarkey) I'd sooner see somebody with an engineering background, its like putting me in the Chair of the local knitting group, a bit useless really
Don't be daft Jaysay, this is why we have councillors, the engineers and planners do all the work first and their professional reports are put forward to our representatives whether to go ahead or not ... same in politics at all levels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
before you have a go at Cllr Westwell for not living in her constituency take a look at the Conservative party on HBC - they don't all live in their own ward, do they?
Exactly Gayle, felt like pointing this out myself, but Jaysay will have an unreasonable excuse for them ...

They include :-

Susan Haworth ... lives Clayton, represents Altham.
Kathleen Prattt ... lives Accrington, represents Baxenden.
Jennet Liddle ... lives Clayton, represents Rishton.
and the best :-
Paul Barton and Tony Dobson, both live in Oswaldtwistle and represent Barnfield.!!

Course there are some labour councillors too, but irrelevant in this discussion with Jaysay and the Dorothy Westell point.

katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 13:36   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
or it could just be teh old classic leaning on shovels too long lol
It is rare to see anyone up there to actually lean on a shovel.

I do hope they do improve Lottice Lane Kate. It is far too narrow at the top for the traffic that uses it since the M65 extension.
It would be nice if the footpath was continuous as well. It ends at the bottom of the hill. Reappears at the Britannia. Then it disappears before the bad bends at the top of New Lane. I have walked from the Britannia into Ossy, it is very dangerous walking on the road around those bends.
Old 26-04-2009, 14:21   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
No idea Neil .. not privy to the schedule of works, just pointing out that this was the estimated time it would take before the project started .... not delayed (as yet LOL).

Don't be daft Jaysay, this is why we have councillors, the engineers and planners do all the work first and their professional reports are put forward to our representatives whether to go ahead or not ... same in politics at all levels...

Exactly Gayle, felt like pointing this out myself, but Jaysay will have an unreasonable excuse for them ...

They include :-

Susan Haworth ... lives Clayton, represents Altham.
Kathleen Prattt ... lives Accrington, represents Baxenden.
Jennet Liddle ... lives Clayton, represents Rishton.
and the best :-
Paul Barton and Tony Dobson, both live in Oswaldtwistle and represent Barnfield.!!

Course there are some labour councillors too, but irrelevant in this discussion with Jaysay and the Dorothy Westell point.

now yer being unreasonable Kate, jaysay like all good torys is just trying to cloud the issue.
Old 26-04-2009, 15:52   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
it could be taking so long because the land up there may be prone to water logging and extra precautions have to be taken to prevent the new road surface crumbleing away or other geological matters
Would appear you were not far out Accyman, taken from the minutes of meeting 27th February, 2009 :

Britannia Crossroads
The Chair informed the meeting that works at Britannia Crossroads had been slightly delayed
due to the recent severe weather conditions and unforeseen drainage problems which had
subsequently been resolved.
It was reported that the contractor was currently working on the surface water drainage in the
area to the east of the junction and also in Haslingden New Road near Greenfield Terrace. As
the Haslingden New Road drain would be brought up the carriageway towards the Britannia
Arms it was noted that temporary traffic signals would be required until the works were completed
Old 26-04-2009, 17:21   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It was reported that the contractor was currently working on the surface water drainage in the area to the east of the junction and also in Haslingden New Road near Greenfield Terrace. As the Haslingden New Road drain would be brought up the carriageway towards the Britannia
Arms it was noted that temporary traffic signals would be required until the works were completed
It was months ago that the temporary light were there.
It should have been obvious about the wet conditions. Just to the side of the houses is very often a pond, you can tell by what grows there.

I did notice they had 2 weeks off at Christmas

At this rate that wall will need re-pointing before the roundabout is finished
Old 26-04-2009, 22:29   #54
God Member

all this talk about crossroads is bringing back memories of Benny lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-04-2009, 22:40   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
all this talk about crossroads is bringing back memories of Benny lol
Well, bit of light hearted, if not all that particularly witty, digression ...
Was well into my anorak mode then ....
Old 26-04-2009, 22:51   #56
God Member

Quote:
Well, bit of light hearted, if not all that particularly witty, digression ...
Was well into my anorak mode then ....
if you play along you can be miss diane and if your realy nice mick can be benny

Old 26-04-2009, 23:07   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
if you play along you can be miss diane and if your realy nice mick can be benny
Love role playing ..

No, musn't go off thread ... this is a serious subject which concerns the whole of Hyndburn.

Just to get back to it ... on that report there was the addition that the parents of the young lad that lost his life there requested a memorial which was being discussed with the engineers ... thought that was a lovely thing to do as a reminder to us all of safer driving.
Old 26-04-2009, 23:52   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

don't think that idea will get off the ground kate, nice thought but theres many places were fatal accidents have occured, floodgates springs to mind.
Old 27-04-2009, 00:18   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't think that idea will get off the ground kate, nice thought but theres many places were fatal accidents have occured, floodgates springs to mind.
Understand your comment Cashy, but how many have resulted in an £800,000 improvement ?
Old 27-04-2009, 03:55   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Understand your comment Cashy, but how many have resulted in an £800,000 improvement ?
I don't think you can say that is the only reason for the roundabout.

I can remember the LCC traffic chap saying that he did not think that a roundabout will be the end of accidents at that junction

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..