Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2005, 06:55   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Park lights ?

garinda, that is good news, if the play area was clear of drinkers & yobs after dark, but we will just wait and see what the long term results are. Remember the planning permission was just for a temporary period of 12 months.
As for the old play area, it's possible that this area will be included in the "lottery scheme" and become a skate board area or football pitch complete with floodlights.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2005, 09:37   #62
Give, give, give member

Yes, if it does become a skateboard park or a football pitch, there will be nothing for any yobs that congergate there to damage though.

I can't count how many times I took my brother's kids to the old playarea, only to find every swing and other ride broken. The resiting of the playground, lights or no lights, has been a success because there hasn't been any vandalism at all, despite all the protests from a vocal few on Park Lane, in the six months it has been opened.

It's been a pleasure to watch the children of the borough enjoying the park's facilities.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 11:03   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It's been a pleasure to watch the children of the borough enjoying the park's facilities.
I will agree with you there, children of the age the play area was designed for

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-09-2005, 17:21   #64
Give, give, give member

Good, we agree.

The children, who the playarea was designed for, certainly didn't get much pleasure from where it was sited before under the trees, in the hollow, and in a place where the amusements were always broken by the vandals.

To me that sounds like a success.

Old 13-09-2005, 17:52   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Good, we agree.

The children, who the playarea was designed for, certainly didn't get much pleasure from where it was sited before under the trees, in the hollow, and in a place where the amusements were always broken by the vandals.

To me that sounds like a success.
That's true, but the new area has had play items out of action because of damage caused by vandals, don't know if they have been repaired yet.
It is a nice facility for the 12 year olds and younger. It is also a focal / meeting point for the older element, that is the main problem.

HBC expected the residents of park lane to watch the area for them, and call the police if they saw any yobs or vandals in the play area, there's only one problem now the residents can't see the play area cause of the over grown hedges

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-09-2005, 18:07   #66
Give, give, give member

I was there yesterday, and can report that all the play equipment was in good,safe, working order, which it certainly wasn't at it's old site.

Like I said, any residents who cant bear the sight of an over grown hedge, the new light, or children enjoying the facilities can always decamp to the border with Blackburn.

The residents of Park Lane aren't expected to spend all their precious time spying on the play area, the new site means it is monitered by the Neighbourhood Watch cctv, again something that wasn't possible before.

Old 13-09-2005, 18:23   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
The residents of Park Lane aren't expected to spend all their precious time spying on the play area, the new site means it is monitered by the Neighbourhood Watch cctv, again something that wasn't possible before.
Don't make me laugh, monitored by the Neighbourhood watch, with the kit they have. Just for information I did all the trials with both Colour and Mono cameras from a distance of some 85 metres away, it was not possible to identify anyone in the play area. The police could not identify a yob kicking a car wing mirror off at 5 metres under the street lights.

One day I will tell you why I moved away from park lane.

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-09-2005, 18:27   #68
Give, give, give member

Yes but you also posted the distance from the play area to both Park Lane and Fielding Lane. You were either wrong then as well, or if you paced it out, momentum must have made your gait uneven because of the brew.

Old 13-09-2005, 18:34   #69
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Yes but you also posted the distance from the play area to both Park Lane and Fielding Lane. You were either wrong then as well, or if you paced it out, momentum must have made your gait uneven because of the brew.
Squirrels have little strides, I can't put that you will take the p$$$ out of his little pants.

Squirrels have little steps (so they can reach the tree), nope thats no good either.

Squirrels can't read the f*&$(n tape measure. Thats better.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 19:02   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Squirrels have little strides, I can't put that you will take the p$$$ out of his little pants.

Squirrels have little steps (so they can reach the tree), nope thats no good either.

Squirrels can't read the f*&$(n tape measure. Thats better.
No but squirrels can scale the section of OS map provided by HBC................

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-09-2005, 19:06   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Would you like a copy of the section of OS map provided by HBC, and the loan of my scale rule,you can read the metric scale
By brew do you mean the type in a bottle

Albert Einstein.

Old 13-09-2005, 23:25   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Would you like a copy of the section of OS map provided by HBC, and the loan of my scale rule,you can read the metric scale
By brew do you mean the type in a bottle
Metric?

I always measure squirels in inches, once they've dropped their nuts of course.

Old 14-09-2005, 07:34   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Metric?

I always measure squirels in inches, once they've dropped their nuts of course.
Ah yes you would measure your cloth in yards

Albert Einstein.

Old 14-09-2005, 14:01   #74
Give, give, give member

I won't be holding my breath re: the much mooted million pound make over. It's all dependent on the formation of a friends of the park sheme being in place before the grant is even applied for.

Perhaps it could be tied in with King William's silver jubilee celebrations.

Old 14-09-2005, 14:25   #75
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I won't be holding my breath re: the much mooted million pound make over. It's all dependent on the formation of a friends of the park sheme being in place before the grant is even applied for.

Perhaps it could be tied in with King William's silver jubilee celebrations.
I think the friends group will be in place by the end of next month. Or that is what should be happening.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..