Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Tesco for ossy?

Would Tesco have already purchased the site to put in plaaning permission? Or can you get planning permission without owning the site?

Theres plenty of room for a Tesco Express, like the one at the petrol station in Accy, the building is tiny, and they even have a small bakery in there. As long as they get it right first time, our store at Rawtenstall is currently undergoing a refurb, and its a bloody nightmare!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2008, 15:00   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Would Tesco have already purchased the site to put in plaaning permission? Or can you get planning permission without owning the site?
There is no requirement for a developer to purchase the land prior to obtaining planning permission. However, many opt to purchase the land, and take the risk of applying for planning permission, because land value rises after planning permission for a development, is granted. Suspect they probably haven't acquired yet, but don't know.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 17:57   #18
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

oh dear..... the tesco look set to be blocked by councillors.....
Tesco Store Looks Set To Be Blocked (from Lancashire Telegraph)

lets just have the **** hole standing there and not bother with the store shall we?......*TUT*
Old 07-03-2008, 18:51   #19

Tesco for Ossy - seems like a fair swop to me..........
Old 07-03-2008, 19:08   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

lets just have the **** hole standing there and not bother with the store shall we?......*TUT*
lets wait n see, backhanders can work miracles.
Old 07-03-2008, 20:06   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

Good. I don't want it as I think it will be detrimental to local small businesses. However, the people of Great Harwood were vehemently opposed to Tesco opening in their town but after a load of objections it's still happening. Tesco were refused planning permission initially but they keep batting away and get it in the end....more's the pity.
Old 14-03-2008, 18:40   #22
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

its true tesco are no longer building the shop...they have pulled out!!
Tesco scraps plan for old fire station - News - Accrington Observer
Old 14-03-2008, 18:42   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think its bad news. That bit of town needs sorting out desperately. They should pull everything down on that corner of Union Road where the fire station was.
Old 14-03-2008, 19:27   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think its bad news. That bit of town needs sorting out desperately. They should pull everything down on that corner of Union Road where the fire station was.

I was told today (thanks Chav) that the pub next door, the Tinker and Budget, has closed down too. Making the site even more of an eyesore, and a target for vandalism.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 19:37   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

There you go, pull it all down and whack a Tesco up.
Old 14-03-2008, 19:43   #26
God Member

Well I think that this is good news, especially for those who own a small shop in Ossy.
Old 14-03-2008, 19:46   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I think small shops and town centres are a thing of the past. We want to go to one place and get everything we want all at once these days. Most of us don't have time to spend all day shopping.
Old 14-03-2008, 20:12   #28
God Member

I haven't commented about the Tesco yet because it was right at the top of my street.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that they're not building it for a few reasons -convenience is one thing but let's face it the Co-op isn't exactly miles away.

From a selfish point of view the dump that is at the top of the road has brought the house prices down and I'm quite sure that it put a lot of prospective buyers off - in fact most people liked the house but didn't like the area.

Competition can be positive. It can raise the bar for everyone. Mostly though the introduction of a Tesco there would be an indication that the area was being redeveloped and could possibly lead to more regeneration.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 20:20   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think small shops and town centres are a thing of the past. We want to go to one place and get everything we want all at once these days. Most of us don't have time to spend all day shopping.
I take it you don't own a small shop in Ossy then.

The shops I was most worried about were my newsagent and my butcher. I'm sure there were others that would suffer too. It doesn't take all day to visit them and Union Road would be a very empty road if there was only a Tesco on it.
Old 14-03-2008, 21:08   #30
God Member

When i was younger it was a pleasure to walk along union rd to shop at various type of stores that once stood there .

Although i dont live in ossy now when i drive through i dont see the choice that was once available . so correct me if im wrong .

when i lived back there the co op was awful i hated going in .
now I would have thought that a tesco extra/express would have been ideal for that site in ossy, as for the council saying ("There are also concerns about a lack of customer parking, and "inadequate" access for delivery vehicles.)
How can that be the case , if the shop had been built further back on the site parking and access would have been available from the front of the store.
Blimey if the site can house a fire engine and delivery wagons from breweries then im sure tesco wouldnt have had problems.
just my twopenoth
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..