Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2008, 21:10   #31
God Member

Re: Tesco for ossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
When i was younger it was a pleasure to walk along union rd to shop at various type of stores that once stood there .

Although i dont live in ossy now when i drive through i dont see the choice that was once available . so correct me if im wrong .

when i lived back there the co op was awful i hated going in .
now I would have thought that a tesco extra/express would have been ideal for that site in ossy, as for the council saying ("There are also concerns about a lack of customer parking, and "inadequate" access for delivery vehicles.)
How can that be the case , if the shop had been built further back on the site parking and access would have been available from the front of the store.
Blimey if the site can house a fire engine and delivery wagons from breweries then im sure tesco wouldnt have had problems.
just my twopenoth

It said in the Telegraph that there were only going to be 9 parking spaces.
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2008, 21:15   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It said in the Telegraph that there were only going to be 9 parking spaces.
It would be thought that more could have been created with the right planning .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 21:19   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well for me a tesco would be Far better than the Co-op its crap, so close that down,replace with a tesco, no differance can make to small business, easy sorted.
Old 15-03-2008, 15:24   #34
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well for me a tesco would be Far better than the Co-op its crap, so close that down,replace with a tesco, no differance can make to small business, easy sorted.
I agree with that one cashman,

Ossy is turning into accy...all the ruddy shops are shutting!
Everytime someone opens a shop in ossy i always know whether it will last or not, and im usually 90% right, maybe its because iv lived in ossy all my life and know what works and what doesnt

Tesco would have been good for ossy

I always keep saying they should have built a shop like tesco where the old petrol station used to be nr ossy mills....but nooooo they go and make it into another bloody carpark!!!
Old 15-03-2008, 16:22   #35
God Member

[quote=panther;546421]I agree with that one cashman,

Ossy is turning into accy...all the ruddy shops are shutting!
Everytime someone opens a shop in ossy i always know whether it will last or not, and im usually 90% right, maybe its because iv lived in ossy all my life/quote]

And you think that this situation of shops shutting would be helped by bringing a Tesco in? I think it would have made things worse.

Believe me because I live near there, all that car parking near Ossy Mills is required.
Old 15-03-2008, 16:25   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

why if it replaced the Co-op?
Old 15-03-2008, 16:29   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
why if it replaced the Co-op?
I was interested in Panther's comment about a lot of shops shutting in Ossy, which is true, and I feel that Tesco would have been the final nail for a few more.

It wouldn't make a difference if Tesco replaced the Co-op as it would still mean one supermarket in Ossy but that was never part of the plan.

We would have had both.
Old 15-03-2008, 16:56   #38
Give, give, give member

I'm in two minds about Tesco's non-arrival in the town.

I hate the delapidated Fire Station, and can't wait for something to be done with the site.

However I simply loathe supermarkets with a vengence.

Every town, in every county of England, looks exactly the same. Full of the same big multi-national stores, and hardly an independent shop left.

I fear Ossy, and many other once thriving small towns, will become like the satellite towns outside of London, and the south-east. No more high streets with a butcher, baker, and candlestick maker. Just estate agents, hairdressers, and off licences, that serve the transient population, who commute to work, and do their shopping once a week by car, at the dreaded supermarket.

I doubt that anything can be done to halt this decline, as people's lifestyles have changed forever.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 19:05   #39
Senior Member+

Would imagine a Tesco would have done some damage to your families business too Big G.
Old 15-03-2008, 19:41   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Would imagine a Tesco would have done some damage to your families business too Big G.
I know my brother wasn't too keen on the idea of a Tesco, with an instore bakery, coming to Ossy, but it's far enough away for it probably have not made much diffence, though I presume it would have to the two sandwich shops just yards from the old Fire Station.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 19:56   #41
God Member

The uphill walk up Tinker brew would put off some people from buying much there

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 21:14   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was interested in Panther's comment about a lot of shops shutting in Ossy, which is true, and I feel that Tesco would have been the final nail for a few more.

It wouldn't make a difference if Tesco replaced the Co-op as it would still mean one supermarket in Ossy but that was never part of the plan.

We would have had both.
then panther, you n and i are in agreement on that. we know it was never part of the plan, but panther was agreeing with my comment, that if it was,there would not be a problem, hope yer not confused now.
Old 16-03-2008, 10:27   #43
Senior Member+

Well i'm miffed as i was planning on applying for a transfer, as its just at the top of my street. I have heard though they've only withdrawn plans to re ammend them.

I was also talking to my store manager and he said that theres no way Tesco would have bought the site if they didn't think they'd be able to build.

Whatever happens somthing needs doing with the eyesore. Everytime I go past it i'm gutted as i spent a lot of my childhod in that firestation, as my Dad was a fireman.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 12:04   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I know my brother wasn't too keen on the idea of a Tesco, with an instore bakery, coming to Ossy, but it's far enough away for it probably have not made much diffence, though I presume it would have to the two sandwich shops just yards from the old Fire Station.
I for one don't think Tesco would make a difference to your family buisness Rindi especially with it being well establihed. I used to call in a lot when I was mobile, but I still get Joan to call in on occasions because I love home made pies, far better that the frozen Holands youget from ASDA, besides Osy folk are set in their ways and don't change their shopping habits unless necessary
Old 16-03-2008, 12:14   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I was also talking to my store manager and he said that theres no way Tesco would have bought the site if they didn't think they'd be able to build.
Tesco haven't actually bought this site Lolly .. just applied for planning permission.

9 parking spaces is not many plus any service vehicles which need to go there. How many parking spaces does the Tesco Express have in Accrington ?

You right though, doesn't seem as if they have given up yet as per the statement put out by their spokesman:-

"We withdrew our application to focus on this feedback and to take the time to address the issues raised. We hope to meet with the relevant officers to discuss our progress shortly"

So possibly no need to give up yet on a shorter journey to work.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..