Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2008, 12:44   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Tesco for ossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
9 parking spaces is not many plus any service vehicles which need to go there. How many parking spaces does the Tesco Express have in Accrington ?
I think it only has about 3 actual parking spaces, but most people get petrol so they are just at the pumps whilst they go in.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2008, 12:38   #47
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Believe me because I live near there, all that car parking near Ossy Mills is required.
I too live nr ossy mills and IMO there are too many carparks....what on earth people see in that shop is beyond me

I can see an accident in that carpark before too long, especially with the coaches!
Old 17-03-2008, 17:22   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I too live nr ossy mills and IMO there are too many carparks....what on earth people see in that shop is beyond me

I can see an accident in that carpark before too long, especially with the coaches!
If you live near Ossy Mills panther, why note charge people for parking outside your house you'd make a fortune
Old 17-03-2008, 18:17   #49
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If you live near Ossy Mills panther, why note charge people for parking outside your house you'd make a fortune
Dont tempt me...come close to tearing off their wipers
Old 17-03-2008, 18:17   #50
God Member

I'm glad. I hate how supermarkets wage war on small businesses, the heart of many communities and what makes towns different to each other.

The bread from bakeries and the meat from butchers is never going to be as good or fresh from Asda or Tesco. The fruit is never as tasty, never as fresh, never as long lasting. The flowers are never as good as your local shop, they're more expensive (you just don't realise it because SOME things are cheaper), and don't last as long from the supermarket.

I really don't find it any more convenient in a supermarket. I tend to spend more time pushing a trolley past people searching high and low for what I actually want, than if I went to town.

As for price, supermarkets are more expensive. They have so many staff, bring their produce from all over the world, have huge heating/lighting/storage costs. Worse quality, higher prices. They just seem cheap because they use tactics like making a loss on a certain product to promote cheap prices (but you know they have to make it back on other products!), or selling washing up powder in reduced sizes so they seem cheaper but you're really getting less!

A perfect world would be a enclosed market, like a supermarket but with individual businesses. That would solve the convenience factor.
Old 17-03-2008, 18:44   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

aint arguing with those comments cyfr, but they are very convieniant, and would love a perfect world who wouldn't? but that ones a non starter.
Old 17-03-2008, 20:45   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I'm glad. I hate how supermarkets wage war on small businesses, the heart of many communities and what makes towns different to each other.

The bread from bakeries and the meat from butchers is never going to be as good or fresh from Asda or Tesco. The fruit is never as tasty, never as fresh, never as long lasting. The flowers are never as good as your local shop, they're more expensive (you just don't realise it because SOME things are cheaper), and don't last as long from the supermarket.

I really don't find it any more convenient in a supermarket. I tend to spend more time pushing a trolley past people searching high and low for what I actually want, than if I went to town.

As for price, supermarkets are more expensive. They have so many staff, bring their produce from all over the world, have huge heating/lighting/storage costs. Worse quality, higher prices. They just seem cheap because they use tactics like making a loss on a certain product to promote cheap prices (but you know they have to make it back on other products!), or selling washing up powder in reduced sizes so they seem cheaper but you're really getting less!

A perfect world would be a enclosed market, like a supermarket but with individual businesses. That would solve the convenience factor.

I agree with everything you've said there. Karma on its way.
Old 18-03-2008, 10:13   #53
Resting in Peace

Its not always the fact that bigest is best, I can remember running to the corner shop when I was a kid with a couple of old pence, kids don't get the chance to do that these days and I think they are worse off for it
Old 18-03-2008, 14:22   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
The bread from bakeries and the meat from butchers is never going to be as good or fresh from Asda or Tesco.
I'm sorry but you obviously don't know anything about the workings of a supermarket bakery!!

I work in the bakery and I really don't know how our bread could be any fresher. It is all baked instore on that day and is baked throughout the day and all rotated every few hours so its always fresh stock on sale.

I can't comment on the meat counters as i don't work on one and am not sure how they do work their stock.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 20:51   #55
Give, give, give member

Tesco's application for a store on the site of the old Fire Station has been passed.

Asda and Tesco get Hyndburn council backing (From Lancashire Telegraph)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 21:14   #56
God Member

I've given this a lot of thought as this really does affect me. Increased traffic at the top of the road could block off the entrance and make life quite hard for me.

But I'm actually in favour of the Tesco and will undoubtedly use it.

I think that it will mean the end of a considerable number of shops in Ossy. I think that the town planners should recognise that and embrace it and plan for something different. I'm all for change if it's part of a greater plan and that anything like this is capitalised on.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 22:18   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Tesco's application for a store on the site of the old Fire Station has been passed.

Asda and Tesco get Hyndburn council backing (From Lancashire Telegraph)

More's the pity.
Old 22-07-2008, 22:35   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
More's the pity.
I'll have a look in because I'm nosey, but I won't be shopping there, mainly because I don't really shop in supermarkets anyway.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least this particulay eyesore will now be tidied up.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 22:52   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'll have a look in because I'm nosey, but I won't be shopping there, mainly because I don't really shop in supermarkets anyway.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least this particulay eyesore will now be tidied up.
I agree with you regarding the eyesore.

I too will not be shopping at this Tesco when it arrives.
Old 23-07-2008, 00:01   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I too will not be shopping at this Tesco when it arrives.
I will be shopping at the new Tesco. The Co-Op is now an even bigger pile of pooh than is was before they made it smaller

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..