Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accy Buses............ (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accy-buses-27661.html)

Doug 13-01-2007 23:45

Re: Accy Buses............

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 367136)
Lovely pics of the buses Doug, really took me back. I was well interested in the clock though. I used to meet my husband there when we were courting.

Permission requested to use it on my blog xx

Feel free, I don't recalled there being any restrictions on use. Enjoy.

junetta 13-01-2007 23:49

junetta's blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

´Meet You Under the Clock´!!

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...79/Pim0001.jpg I found this wonderful photo during my internet wanderings and although Accy buses were wonderful in their own right, I was more interested in the clock that you see in the background. That thing with black legs top left!

I don´t think it is still there now, but during the sixties it was the place to meet for teenagers hoping for a new romance. There you were, skirts showing your knickers, trying to feel confident and praying that matie would turn up!

After all, you only met him last night for a quick snog at Burnley Mecca! Could you even remember what he looked like!!

I was only ´stood up´ once and I ended up marrying him. It would be nice to know how many folk got hitched because of that clock.

Thanks Doug xx

accymel 13-01-2007 23:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 367135)
You are Joking? Take a picture for me I want to see it.

Here u are Doug....do u remember these [obviously a lot whiter/straighter & less knackered looking]

lancsdave 13-01-2007 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 367159)
Here u are Doug....do u remember these [obviously a lot whiter/straighter & less knackered looking]

You could have wiped the dust off it first :D

steeljack 13-01-2007 23:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 367149)
junetta's blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

´Meet You Under the Clock´!!

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...79/Pim0001.jpg I found this wonderful photo during my internet wanderings and although Accy buses were wonderful in their own right, I was more interested in the clock that you see in the background. That thing with black legs top left!

I don´t think it is still there now, but during the sixties it was the place to meet for teenagers hoping for a new romance. There you were, skirts showing your knickers, trying to feel confident and praying that matie would turn up!

After all, you only met him last night for a quick snog at Burnley Mecca! Could you even remember what he looked like!!

I was only ´stood up´ once and I ended up marrying him. It would be nice to know how many folk got hitched because of that clock.

Thanks Doug xx

sorry digression.........can anyone remember the name of the jewelers next to junettas clock

accymel 14-01-2007 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 367160)
You could have wiped the dust off it first :D

Why whats point, when it is finally going to be ripped out on wednesday as is the rest, quite freaky Doug asking for a pic - end of a bygone era on wednesday:D

cherokee 14-01-2007 00:02

was it not humberstones ?? i maybe wrong but name seems to ring a bell

garinda 14-01-2007 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 367164)
sorry digression.........can anyone remember the name of the jewelers next to junettas clock

I can see their name in gold.:rolleyes:

I'm getting a 'W'.:eek:

Walkden's?:confused:

steeljack 14-01-2007 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 367169)
was it not humberstones ?? i maybe wrong but name seems to ring a bell

thats it thanks :D

flashy 14-01-2007 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 367164)

its still there its frank ogdens

Doug 14-01-2007 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 367159)

You daft woman, not them. They where square-ish in shape, They stood in the corner of the kitchen, they where about two foot high white in the body, black cast iron tops with a flue pipe that came up the back about three foot up the wall and out in to the back garden.

cherokee 14-01-2007 00:06

yeah thats it cheers flashy ..

sorry steeljack i was wrong

flashy 14-01-2007 00:07

do you mean a stove daddy? the one's that my mum used to put coal and wood in to heat the water up?

accymel 14-01-2007 00:07

Its Frank Ogdens now or has for quite some time

I got my ears pierced there in that jewellers

flashy 14-01-2007 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 367180)
Its Frank Ogdens now or has for quite some time

I got my ears pierced there in that jewellers

so did i...when i was 4