Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2011, 07:54   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I started a thread. People went off topic in an attempt to be humorous/whimsical. I responded in kind. I find it quite funny how people are making this into a melodrama. I'm going to start reading this with popcorn (not pies).
Yes you started a thread, that doesn't mean you have exclusive moderator rights to it.
You may not have liked the way it went regarding Hollands pies but that is what people were talkimg about.
The only one going off topic is you with your rants about people going off topic.

If you don't want other peoples input either, don't start threads or perhaps come to some sort of agreement with the real mods so that your threads are automatically closed after your first post to prevent others from interfering.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2011, 08:22   #32
Resting in Peace

Re: Hollands Pies 160th Anniversary Exhibition

There is nowhere you can get a good pie or fish & chips like they used to be.
when i was at school there was a house at the bottom of larkhill (Preston) the front room had been turned into a shop and 2 old ladies used to sell home made meat and potato,meat or butter pies they where 6d each so that was my school dinner together with a separate ciggy bought from the shop on the corner for 2d
they where really good pies and it was called Pickering's pie shop
school dinners where 5 shillings then for the week

Oh by the way my parents thought i was staying at school for dinners and school thought i went home for them so got 5 shillings a week off parents .
so 2 of us used to share at this one buying the pies the other bought the ciggies normally 10 number 6 or if we where a bit short from buying sweets we got 5 park drive or separates

Last edited by Mick; 22-11-2011 at 08:31.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 08:46   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
There is nowhere you can get a good pie or fish & chips like they used to be.
when i was at school there was a house at the bottom of larkhill (Preston) the front room had been turned into a shop and 2 old ladies used to sell home made meat and potato,meat or butter pies they where 6d each so that was my school dinner together with a separate ciggy bought from the shop on the corner for 2d
they where really good pies and it was called Pickering's pie shop
school dinners where 5 shillings then for the week

Oh by the way my parents thought i was staying at school for dinners and school thought i went home for them so got 5 shillings a week off parents .
so 2 of us used to share at this one buying the pies the other bought the ciggies normally 10 number 6 or if we where a bit short from buying sweets we got 5 park drive or separates
Ya mick a couple of woodys and two matches to boot, was bitch on a windy day
Old 22-11-2011, 09:16   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You may not have liked the way it went regarding Hollands pies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I don't have any particular fondness to Hollands.
Quote:
The only one going off topic is you with your rants about people going off topic.
Only one person has referenced my original question - and that was as part of a rant. I thought it was quite obvious that a post with a specific question, posted in the 'History And Heritage' section wasn't meant to be a pie rating thread. But what the hell, mob mentality rules.

I almost exclusively use the History and Heritage pages as that's where my interest lies. I had planned on posting a few more history bits that had cropped up in recent reading - maybe I'll post them in the polls section so I won't be surprised at the responses.

Quote:
Yes you started a thread, that doesn't mean you have exclusive moderator rights to it.
Nor have I claimed any. I responded in kind. As mentioned. And quoted by your good self. Please keep up.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 21:44   #35

Whenever we travelled on the bus to Accy from Yorkshire and we passed the Hollands Pie factory my dad always remarked that you never saw any stray cats in Baxenden.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..