Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Well done Hyndburn council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
There are enough 'posh folk' in Chelsea tractors (apparently disabled but remarkably devoid of orange badges) at Asda in Accrington.
I never shop at supermarkets, so can't comment on the poshness of ASDA's customers.

Though you might need to stop looking for orange disabled parking badges, because they are actually blue.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17   #17
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I never shop at supermarkets, so can't comment on the poshness of ASDA's customers.

Though you might need to stop looking for orange disabled parking badges, because they are actually blue.
You know perfectly well what I mean

Just out of interest, what word would you have used instead of 'yuppie'?
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:20   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Gary
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Selfish, though that could be applied to many drivers, not just 4 x 4 owners...of which I'm not one, incidentally.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.
I don't drive any car because it's too 'expensive'.

A friend of mine has driven a car that cost £250 for the last 6 years each of his spare pennies goes to keeping it on the road to him that is 'expensive', but he is disabled and needs some form of transport.

I know other people that have vehicles varying in prices to over 50k+.

Each of those would like to upgrade to something better, but we would all find a better car 'expensive'.

If someone has a more expensive car than me, so long as they are living within their means then good luck to them, why should I be jealous?

Quote:
Ah, yes your right, I probably do know, 'perfectly well what you mean', even though it is easier to understand if you actually say what you mean.

You mean, Large cars don't you?

Though I've no problem with gas gussling large cars and their effect on the environment while our and other Governments waste far more on tanks that they keep in uninvited Countries that do something like 8 gallons to the mile.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38   #21
God Member

Well back to the parking, they have now created another 8 reserved spaces mon-fri doesn't say who they are reserved for though, anyone got an idea who "occasionally" parks there?
Thats 20 spaces lost in that car park now

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 16:02   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
anyone got an idea who "occasionally" parks there?
Aliens?

Old 20-02-2010, 20:17   #23

Quote:
This must be the only disabled parking bay in the world that isn't full of Chelsea tractors abandoned by able-bodied lazy yuppies!

Sorry, this is one of my bugbears about people who drive expensive cars.
get a job idiot
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 20:25   #24
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
get a job idiot
Great post, Steve. Welcome to the forum, we need more people who get their facts right before posting....
Old 20-02-2010, 20:45   #25

Quote:
Great post, Steve. Welcome to the forum, we need more people who get their facts right before posting....
I drive a 4x4 hence the reply, the parking spaces in question are usEd on a regular basis by disabled drivers and guess what, some disabled people are actually capable of driving something bigger than a golf, believe it or not 4x4 vehicles are needed by some people for either work or play. You mentioned earlier you dislike 4x4 drivers, that is very specific and targeted.
I dislike inconsiderate drivers, my dislike is generally because inconsiderate drivers cause problems for many, why would one particular type of vehicle cause you a problem?
are you anti 4x4 ?
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 21:05   #26
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
I drive a 4x4 hence the reply, the parking spaces in question are usEd on a regular basis by disabled drivers and guess what, some disabled people are actually capable of driving something bigger than a golf, believe it or not 4x4 vehicles are needed by some people for either work or play. You mentioned earlier you dislike 4x4 drivers, that is very specific and targeted.
I dislike inconsiderate drivers, my dislike is generally because inconsiderate drivers cause problems for many, why would one particular type of vehicle cause you a problem?
are you anti 4x4 ?
Not at all, in fact I use one regularly in my line of work. However, I base my judgements on the evidence presented to me and specifically the evidence of my own eyes.

When I see perfectly healthy people in any car using disabled spaces because it's closer to the shop door it strikes me as being one of the most arrogant things a driver could do. The absence of a badge in the window is a giveaway too. Unfortunately, I see more high-end cars and 4x4s doing it than any other type of vehicle - maybe I'm just spotting more than you are or maybe you just don't find that at all.

The same goes for parking on double yellow lines - there are several spots in Rishton that seem to be a magnet for people in 4x4s to dump their car and make it hard work for everyone else.

Sorry if it offends you but it's a fact, certainly where I live.

And I'd like to know where I stated that I don't like 4x4 drivers. I haven't said that at all! I believe I referred to anyone in a Chelsea tractor that parked in disabled bays.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 20-02-2010 at 21:08.
Old 20-02-2010, 23:27   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When I see perfectly healthy people in any car using disabled spaces because it's closer to the shop door it strikes me as being one of the most arrogant things a driver could do.
You are lucky, having so many special powers.

Being able to spot who is unemployed, and wearing 'designer gear' etc is a gift, but even more impressive is your X-Ray sight, which allows you to judge who is, and who isn't disabled.

You should have gone to work for the N.H.S. You could have saved millions, that've been spent on scanners, and other associated medical machinery.

If only the rest of us could have the ability to unmask the frauds as being healthy, and to be able to decide who isn't really suffering because they're an amputee, have chronic heart disease, cancer, neurological diseases, terminal illness, etc.

Shooting one's mouth off without thinking what you're saying, and alienating whole swathes of people because of your prejudiced ideas, will probably result in a very unsatisfactory political career.

Old 20-02-2010, 23:44   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Shooting one's mouth off without thinking what you're saying, and alienating whole swathes of people ....
Cheeky so and so, thats my job around here
Old 21-02-2010, 08:05   #29
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You are lucky, having so many special powers.
I know, the ability to open my eyes and base judgements on what I see around me is a gift indeed. Last time I heard, you needed a disabled badge on display in your car to use disabled bays but perhaps I missed that one being rescinded.

I wish I had your special power of picking up on one word and remembering to bring it up forever after as a tangible debating point. You aren't my ex-girlfriend, by any chance?

Last edited by Ken Moss; 21-02-2010 at 08:09.
Old 21-02-2010, 08:19   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I know, the ability to open my eyes and base judgements on what I see around me is a gift indeed.
Seeing isn't always believing.

I loath the arrogance of people who make judgements on things, based purely on the superficiality of outward appearance.

If you ever have the good fortune to meet myself, you will probably declare me the very picture of robust health.

Mind you, you'd only meet me out in public.

I tend not to go out when I shake and spasm so much between drug treatments, that I look like I'm auditioning for the Exorcist, or when I can't get out of bed for two hours to go to the loo, until the drugs for Parkinson's disease kick in every morning. I won't go on listing the indignities of living with an incurrable, degenerative, neurological illness, but you get my drift.

Yes, you're well and truly gifted...if blind arrogance is a gift.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..