Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Community Talk General Hyndburn community chat.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2010, 08:35   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Well done Hyndburn council

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You aren't my ex-girlfriend, by any chance?

Higly unlikely, different leagues.

Premiership, and jumpers for goal posts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2010, 08:40   #32
Common Sense Member

Is this what it boils down to? I can't disagree with anyone who's seriously ill for fear of being judgemental? If that's going to be your stance you'll the vast vestiges of respect for you evaporating very quickly. If anyone is going to toss their view into the ring it should not come with any sort of guilt clause, regardless of race or condition.

If you really do have Parkinsons Disease then you have my deepest sympathy but if you'd just read what I'm getting at you'd see that you are precisely the sort of person I'm trying to make life better for!

You mentioned blind arrogance, but when someone is trying to fight the corner for people with reduced mobility and you rail against everything they say then who's really being arrogant? I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you need a disabled bay and can't get one through the sheer thoughtlessness of people who can't be bothered parking 20 yards further away.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 08:49   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Is this what it boils down to? I can't disagree with anyone who's seriously ill for fear of being judgemental? If that's going to be your stance you'll the vast vestiges of respect for you evaporating very quickly. If anyone is going to toss their view into the ring it should not come with any sort of guilt clause, regardless of race or condition.

If you really do have Parkinsons Disease then you have my deepest sympathy but if you'd just read what I'm getting at you'd see that you are precisely the sort of person I'm trying to make life better for!

You mentioned blind arrogance, but when someone is trying to fight the corner for people with reduced mobility and you rail against everything they say then who's really being arrogant? I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you need a disabled bay and can't get one through the sheer thoughtlessness of people who can't be bothered parking 20 yards further away.

Quote:
When I see perfectly healthy people in any car using disabled spaces because it's closer to the shop door it strikes me as being one of the most arrogant things a driver could do.
'If'?

'If' I really have Parkinson's disease?

Er, one thing about me you've yet to realise, is that I don't lie. Ever.

So as well as being able to tell who's unemployed, or ill, you are unable to believe what people say.

Your gifts are looking less impressive by the minute.

How many other groups of people do you intend to offend and alienate, before you stand for election in May?

Old 21-02-2010, 08:56   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When I see perfectly healthy people in any car using disabled spaces because it's closer to the shop door it strikes me as being one of the most arrogant things a driver could do.
The blind arrogance refers to you deciding who is, and who isn't disabled, based purely on how 'healthy' they look.

When pushed you before agreed with me that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but you seem to be still doing it.

Appearances can be very, very, deceptive.

Old 21-02-2010, 09:00   #35
God Member

G i don't think he meant that, i think we all know that he meant if they don't have a disabled badge on display, i'm a numpty and even i worked that one out x
Old 21-02-2010, 09:01   #36
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'If'?

'If' I really have Parkinson's disease?

Er, one thing about me you've yet to realise, is that I don't lie. Ever.

So as well as being able to tell who's unemployed, or ill, you are unable to believe what people say.

Your gifts are looking less impressive by the minute.

How many other groups of people do you intend to offend and alienate, before you stand for election in May?
I'm sorry you feel I'm accusing you of lying, I just couldn't work out whether you were being serious or just trying to make a point. It wasn't meant as a dig and if you continue to take everything I say in the worst possible context I can't see any point having further discussions with you which is sad, really.

You seem to be trying to stand as the voice of the persecution complex for everyone in the borough which is a braver stance than I would ever adopt. However, as you would soon find if you had a crack at it, you can't open your mouth in public on any subject without someone thinking that one group is getting preferential treatment over another.

My view is that any section of the community that needs a particular facility to improve simple necessities in their day-to-day life should be heard out.

If you're so convinced that I'm blinkered and arrogant then I'm not going to waste any more of your time.
Old 21-02-2010, 09:13   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel I'm accusing you of lying, I just couldn't work out whether you were being serious or just trying to make a point. It wasn't meant as a dig and if you continue to take everything I say in the worst possible context I can't see any point having further discussions with you which is sad, really.

You seem to be trying to stand as the voice of the persecution complex for everyone in the borough which is a braver stance than I would ever adopt. However, as you would soon find if you had a crack at it, you can't open your mouth in public on any subject without someone thinking that one group is getting preferential treatment over another.

My view is that any section of the community that needs a particular facility to improve simple necessities in their day-to-day life should be heard out.

If you're so convinced that I'm blinkered and arrogant then I'm not going to waste any more of your time.
I certainly don't have a 'persecution complex', and speak for no one, other than myself.

I gave other examples of people who could be classed as having disabled mobility, amputees, cancer sufferers etc, but who you might declare looked 'healthy', before I posted that I have Parkinson's. Which I would never pretended I had, just to prove a point. Mainly becuse it would be highly offensive, as well as a lie.

I'll continue not judging people, and making vast generalisations about other folk, until in possession of the full facts...and you can continue doing the opposite.

Old 21-02-2010, 09:23   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Quote:
well what the hell were you saying then?
Old 21-02-2010, 10:20   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Garinda certainly does have Parkinsons, as most members of long standing on here know Ken, in fact only last year he was featured on Granada reports one evening, a program which had brought home to me how life destroying Parkinsons can be, especially in some one so relatively young. in fact I still have the program saved on my Sky Plus hard drive
Old 21-02-2010, 10:29   #40
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well what the hell were you saying then?
Since I don't know the man and haven't seen the Granada Reports item I couldn't tell whether Garinda was using Parkinsons to make a point or stating that he had the disease. Either way I can't really see how I've deliberately been offensive about his condition.

The thrust of this thread has turned towards disabled parking bays, something I am keen to see reserved for people who really need them. How much clearer do I need to be about it? If you don't have a disabled badge, don't use them and have a bit of thought for those whose lives are made much more difficult by having to park further away.

Just explain to me why that line of thinking is offensive, because I'd really like to know.
Old 21-02-2010, 10:35   #41
Give, give, give member

I'm not playing the sympathy card by the way.

I very rarely drive, and have hardly ever parked in a designated disabled parking space, but when I have occasionally used my blue badge, I've been verbally abused by idiots who presume I'm not eligible because I 'look' healthy.

As stated, when at times I'm unable to put one foot in front of the other, get dressed etc, I tend not to be in the public gaze.

Don't worry though, anyone foolish enough to question if I really am ill, doesn't walk away unscathed, especially if it's a two-pronged attack, if my mother happens to be with me.

Old 21-02-2010, 10:37   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Since I don't know the man and haven't seen the Granada Reports item I couldn't tell whether Garinda was using Parkinsons to make a point or stating that he had the disease. Either way I can't really see how I've deliberately been offensive about his condition.

The thrust of this thread has turned towards disabled parking bays, something I am keen to see reserved for people who really need them. How much clearer do I need to be about it? If you don't have a disabled badge, don't use them and have a bit of thought for those whose lives are made much more difficult by having to park further away.

Just explain to me why that line of thinking is offensive, because I'd really like to know.
if ya couldn't tell then obviously ya suspected he could have been lying, this using of disabled spaces has been aired on here long before you arrived,which ya wouldn't be aware of unless ya did a search,theres nowt wrong wi what yer saying about the spaces being utilised,if ya cant see whats wrong wi asking a guy "IF" he has parkinsons, then yer not as bright as i gave you credit! or he's right wi "Arrogant"
Old 21-02-2010, 10:38   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm not playing the sympathy card by the way.

I very rarely drive, and have hardly ever parked in a designated disabled parking space, but when I have occasionally used my blue badge, I've been verbally abused by idiots who presume I'm not eligible because I 'look' healthy.

As stated, when at times I'm unable to put one foot in front of the other, get dressed etc, I tend not to be in the public gaze.

Don't worry though, anyone foolish enough to question if I really am ill, doesn't walk away unscathed, especially if it's a two-pronged attack, if my mother happens to be with me.

Two-pronged attack, you and your Mum, now that is a scary thought
Old 21-02-2010, 10:51   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Two-pronged attack, you and your Mum, now that is a scary thought
Sad ain't it?

Forty five, but I'm still the cub, and she's the killer lioness, if anyone attacks her offspring.

Old 21-02-2010, 16:22   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sad ain't it?

Forty five, but I'm still the cub, and she's the killer lioness, if anyone attacks her offspring.

That'll be the day whn she starts feeding you new kill red meat

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..