Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2012, 17:42   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Lost again, not quite good enough imho.
Useless Jock
Old 27-01-2012, 17:45   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Useless Jock
Now Jay, don't knock my hero -I have a very soft spot for Andy as he looks very like my eldest son. My son of course is more handsome but no-where near as good at playing tennis.

Oh, don't forget he is 4th in the world -not that bad.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 27-01-2012 at 17:49.
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 17:56   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Now Jay, don't knock my hero -I have a very soft spot for Andy as he looks very like my eldest son. My son of course is more handsome but no-where near as good at playing tennis.

Oh, don't forget he is 4th in the world -not that bad.
He's alright when he's winning, he's just useless when he loses, our Andy made the mistake of saying he hoped England got beat in the world cup, then tried to back track, lying scotch git
Old 27-01-2012, 18:01   #19
God Member

Actaully Jay he "lost" very well today! I was proud of him ...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 18:16   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Actaully Jay he "lost" very well today! I was proud of him ...
Lost well, nobody remembers a loser, take that chap, err um Tim somebody or other
Old 27-01-2012, 18:29   #21
Senior Member+

Thinking like that is why he will never win a grand slam he didnt beleive that he could go on and put djokivic (i think thats it) to the sword when he was 2 - 1 up , do you think nadal would have let that position slip i think not.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:26   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Thinking like that is why he will never win a grand slam he didnt beleive that he could go on and put djokivic (i think thats it) to the sword when he was 2 - 1 up , do you think nadal would have let that position slip i think not.
The 4th set was a bit of a shambles as he'd spent so much energy in winning the third -it all happened too fast for him to realise. There is a big psychological element in Tennis too don't forget and they both had a lot of ups and downs in the match.

Nadal is the tennis equivalent of a Pitbull -a real gladiator, but he loses sometimes too! As for "Spokovic" - he comes across as a nice guy but i don't like those who just stay on the base-line -give me a bit of serve and volley every time. Bring back McEnroe!!!

On a different subject, I must say i preferred it when maurray was sponsored by Fred Perry -he was much more elegant on court and always in white. Wasn't keen on the Adidas Orange and blue ensemble.

Winner for elegance and style is Federer every time - if it weren't for his nose he'd be perfect!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2012, 12:10   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
The 4th set was a bit of a shambles as he'd spent so much energy in winning the third -it all happened too fast for him to realise. There is a big psychological element in Tennis too don't forget and they both had a lot of ups and downs in the match.

Nadal is the tennis equivalent of a Pitbull -a real gladiator, but he loses sometimes too! As for "Spokovic" - he comes across as a nice guy but i don't like those who just stay on the base-line -give me a bit of serve and volley every time. Bring back McEnroe!!!

On a different subject, I must say i preferred it when maurray was sponsored by Fred Perry -he was much more elegant on court and always in white. Wasn't keen on the Adidas Orange and blue ensemble.

Winner for elegance and style is Federer every time - if it weren't for his nose he'd be perfect!
Top and bottom of it is murray i think is a chocker , whenever it matters he bottles it. Sorry dianne but i think murray will never win a slam because of that flaw in his psychological make up.
Old 28-01-2012, 13:03   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Top and bottom of it is murray i think is a chocker , whenever it matters he bottles it. Sorry dianne but i think murray will never win a slam because of that flaw in his psychological make up.
I hope you are wrong Dave, this was his first outing playing with a new style which coach Ivan lendl is teaching him - a new game plan of aggressive "go for it" tennis which is what he played throughout - it just needs a little perfecting.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2012, 13:43   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I hope you are wrong Dave, this was his first outing playing with a new style which coach Ivan lendl is teaching him - a new game plan of aggressive "go for it" tennis which is what he played throughout - it just needs a little perfecting.
So did Henman
Old 28-01-2012, 13:58   #26
God Member

Quote:
So did Henman
Can't agree - "Mr. Boring" didn't have half the natural talent that Andy has...

He'll prove me right in the end and win Wimbledon this year - just you watch!!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2012, 14:11   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can't agree - "Mr. Boring" didn't have half the natural talent that Andy has...

He'll prove me right in the end and win Wimbledon this year - just you watch!!
Well no I'll give it a miss thankyou, if I want punishment i'll walk about with nails in my shoes
Old 28-01-2012, 14:20   #28
God Member

Quote:
Well no I'll give it a miss thankyou, if I want punishment i'll walk about with nails in my shoes
Can think of worse things to endure, Jay

I'm glued to the telly when Wimbledon is on I'm afraid - not the women's game but i like some of the doubles matches too.

Have been following it since forever - though I do remember missing the final when Arthur Ashe won- back in god know's whenever (sometime in the 70's) as mum had decided we'd have a day out at Howarth, doing the Bronte tour. I remember sitting in a café having afternoon tea and hearing it on the radio...

I even had Top Trumps Tennis player cards at Junior school - friend Charlotte had them too but no-else! One of the best cards was the Italian Adriano Panatta and another was Vitas Gerulaitis...!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2012, 14:28   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can think of worse things to endure, Jay

I'm glued to the telly when Wimbledon is on I'm afraid - not the women's game but i like some of the doubles matches too.

Have been following it since forever - though I do remember missing the final when Arthur Ashe won- back in god know's whenever (sometime in the 70's) as mum had decided we'd have a day out at Howarth, doing the Bronte tour. I remember sitting in a café having afternoon tea and hearing it on the radio...

I even had Top Trumps Tennis player cards at Junior school - friend Charlotte had them too but no-else! One of the best cards was the Italian Adriano Panatta and another was Vitas Gerulaitis...!
What really annoys me more than anything is they'll take Eggheads off for the flaming fortnight
Old 28-01-2012, 14:38   #30
God Member

Quote:
What really annoys me more than anything is they'll take Eggheads off for the flaming fortnight
Doesn't make any difference to me, don't get Eggheads - my mum watches that every day, so i've seen it out in "Tenegrief" when i stay with them, it's not a bad quiz-show.

I watch Wimbledon on SKY sports -the best thing is I can knock off the commentary and just watch the tennis and hear the noise from the court.

Wouldn't mind the Beeb commentary with McEnroe but you don't get it on SKY unfortunately.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..